Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 372 guests, and 24 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Interesting. My six-year-old son had the CELF-4 Concepts & Following Directions (scaled score 12) and Understanding Spoken Paragraphs (scaled score 6) sections, and the CASL (subtest scores from 77 (paragraph comprehension) to 126 (antonyms), with the others right around 100) and TNL (97). I don't think he has a particularly good working memory, but I don't have testing to support that opinion. Are those tests similar to the WJIII subtest, with visual supports that he could use?
    Yes, for one of them. The CELF-4 C&FD does have visuals; you point to items based on spoken directions. USP and CASL PC are very similar to the WIAT-III LC, where you hear paragraphs read aloud, and then answer questions about them. Antonyms is not, nor does it have visuals, but it has very short verbal stimuli, and relies much more heavily on verbal reasoning and oral vocabulary than anything else.

Notice that your son did very well on the task with visual supports and the one with limited verbal stimuli, and poorly on the tasks with lengthy verbal stimuli.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    suevv Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hey Polarbear -

You know in the middle of our K drama, I was told that there is actually a law in California that says a child cannot be denied recess as a punishment. As a new member of this board, I promise to make a contribution by looking for this law. This form of punishment really is so very counterproductive.

Scribing and keyboarding. Easy, and I'm going to start NOW. Same for asking if he can bring work home. I ASKED for that last year, but his ridiculous teacher wanted to keep him under her thumb. A fat lot of good that did. He is not so easily broken, I'm afraid .... Actually - I'm not afraid of that. I'm glad.

Thanks also for the headphone idea. He might just go for it. On Labor Day, we did a behind-the-scenes tour at Monterey Bay Aquarium. Absent the headphones, it was like a bomb going off - both in the public areas and behind the scenes (think "pumps"). He was never distracted for a moment in an hour-long tour. Without the headphones - forget it. For him, and for me! But I never would have thought of applying this in class. Brilliant! Not so sure about the leo idea though ... ;0

I don't if it's obvious from my words, but you guys are all giving me so much to feel better about. Thank you.

Sue

E
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Notice that your son did very well on the task with visual supports and the one with limited verbal stimuli, and poorly on the tasks with lengthy verbal stimuli.

I did notice that - I'm just not sure what to make of it. smile He is getting once-a-week pullouts at school with the SLP to work on paragraph comprehension, since he tanked two different subtests on that. I just wish I could feel confident that the work he's doing is actually directed at the real problem, whatever it is. I have this fear that we are treating a fever by dumping ice water on the patient, instead of looking for a source of inflammation.

suevv Offline OP
    OP Offline
    OK - so that wasn't even too hard to find. The statutes are from the Californai education code (https://law.resource.org/pub/us/ccr/gov.ca.oal.title05.html):

California Ed Code:

§304. Leaving Room at Recess.
    Every pupil shall leave the schoolroom at recess unless it would occasion an exposure of health.

§352. Detention During Recess or Noon Intermission.

A pupil shall not be required to remain in school during the intermission at noon, or during any recess.

Ironically, our highly regarded public school system has a policy directly in conflict with the law:

XXUSD code:

Recess Restriction
    A teacher may restrict a student's recess time only when he/she believes that this action is the most effective way to bring about improved behavior. When recess restriction may involve the withholding of physical activity from a student, the teacher shall try other disciplinary
    measures before imposing the restriction. Recess restriction shall be subject to the following conditions:
    1. The student shall be given adequate time to use the restroom and get a drink or eat
    lunch, as appropriate.
    2. The student shall remain under a certificated employee’s supervision during the period of restriction.
    3. Teachers shall inform the principal of any recess restrictions they impose.

I think I need to do some follow-up!

Sue

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by suevv
    Oh my gosh, this stuff is so fascinating. And the tests are really sort of elegant in the way they look for strengths and weaknesses. Aside from being an incredibly stressful analysis of my child, this is a completely engrossing academic exercise! Like the ultimate puzzle.
    That is exactly what I love about assessment...
    AEH - I so admire the work you do and the eloquent way you have of explaining it. The kids you work with are fortunate. I hope their parents realize it ....
    ...And the kids make solving the puzzle meaningful.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by aeh

I did notice that - I'm just not sure what to make of it. smile He is getting once-a-week pullouts at school with the SLP to work on paragraph comprehension, since he tanked two different subtests on that. I just wish I could feel confident that the work he's doing is actually directed at the real problem, whatever it is. I have this fear that we are treating a fever by dumping ice water on the patient, instead of looking for a source of inflammation.
    Do you know what form the language therapy takes?

E
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    Originally Posted by aeh

Do you know what form the language therapy takes?
    Not really. I think that it is based on hearing stories and then talking about them - what happened, inferences about motivations, stuff like that. I know that there was something using an iPad to hear the stories and answer questions, because he loves getting to use it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM