Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 357 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    K
    K
    My DD10 is having a similar experience. She skipped 2 grades in math this year (went from grade 5 to grade 7). She is being taught 7th grade math by her fifth grade teacher, which I think is nice because he is relating to her as a 5th grader, not a 7th grader.

Anyhow, we are swamped with homework as well, it takes us 2 to 3 hours per night to do homework, which is borderline insanity, IMHO.

When I ask DD if the homework is too hard for her, she says no, its just right however, it is the actual amount of homework (think 4 pages of 10-20 problems each).

Out of curiosity, I asked other 5th graders who are not accelerated what their homework load was like and the standard response was "minimal, 30 minutes per night". Out of curiosity, I asked some 6th graders who are in 7th grade math what their homework was like and they felt it was challenging, but not overbearing, around 1 hour per night.

Out of curiosity I asked the teacher about the quantity of the homework and he explained that he has to figure out the missing gaps of the students and assign them math work and IXL strings that will help them practice the skills that they accelerated past but still need to know.

Personally, I feel that once we overcome the shock and workload of acceleration and get used to the workload associated with filling the learning gap it is going to be much better. For instance, I am optimistic that next year when DD is in 8th grade math, but has filled in her learning gaps and finished her 7th grade math program from this year, she is going to be smooth sailing from that point forward.

DD has a great attitude about the workload and missing out on extra curricular activities and not being able to play like she was used to. I think she will value her holiday time a lot more then she ever did and am hoping that next year will be much smoother going forward. Until it becomes a problem for her, I am not going to let it be a problem for me.

PS...we did not request this acceleration, it was given based on her NWEA scores, her MEAP test scores, and a 5th grade math placement test. So this was not a matter of be careful what you wish for you might get it; however, that being said, it is nice to see DD on fire and passionate about math and school again.

A
    A
    My DS is almost 7 and is doing 3rd grade math - he needs to do 3-4 pages of math homework every weekday with a mix of computations and word problems. He is a very fast worker. In the first 2 weeks, the homework took as long as 30 minutes only for math (excluding the LA and the weekly test reviews) which was surprising to us because we are used to him finishing the work in 5 minutes in previous years. I had to sit next to him to talk him through the process. But, in the last week or so, he is doing it in under 15 minutes, accurately and completely on his own.
    So, I suggest that you wait a couple of weeks to see if things improve - it could just be that he is taking a longer time adjusting to the requirements of acceleration. And as for the word problems, ask him to slow down, pick out the "key words" in the problem and circle them first and then solve them. This is what I tell my DS to do - and it has improved the accuracy.

A
    A
    Reviving an old thread because it's personally relevant. We used Singapore international standards editions for grades 1-2 math. We purchased the texts and Challenging Word Problems 2. To complete the text lessons and about 1/10th of the word problems took about 20 minutes a day, 3 days a week, in total for one year. IOW, not at all onerous; this was more about building the habit of being a diligent worker and learning how to learn.

I was a fan of Singapore for my son in the early years, as the method doesn't require repetition, and it moves to abstract reasoning more quickly than other methods.

For grades 3-4, we used the AOPS Beast Academy texts, one per year, as bedtime reading and mental math on weekends. With 30-45 minutes per night on weekends, you can easily keep pace with the content on a 1-course-per-year basis. For grade 3, DS initially needed to jot down some notes until he adapted to doing the problems in his head; for grade 4, he did it all as mental math. (For those who like portable learning, those books are terrific.) It wasn't a rare occasion that DS would insist on reading Beast Academy texts past his bedtime for fun. They're adorable.

For the above, I wanted DS to demonstrate about 90% mastery to move on, and to avoid perfectionism. IMO, it's healthy for 100 to be elusive.

The work DS' current teacher assigns him tends to run about +2-3 years in math, but feels too basic to DS. He probably spent about 30-40 minutes per week total on school-assigned math this past month. We now supplement with AOPS and play with some of the AMC problems in the evenings for 20-30 mins on weeknights for enjoyment. I find the AOPS classes are a bit dragged out, and an eager math student can comfortably complete the courses at double speed through self study on the schedule I described above.

Caveats/considerations:

1. DS' pace may slow down as he moves into the grade 11/12 sequence at AOPS, though, because the material will be less familiar.

2. I will also note that the time estimates may skew fast because he dictates and I scribe for him for his "bonus" math after the first few questions.

3. We don't cover every question in AOPS. Usually, he's able to solve the initial problems, so we skip most of the exercises and do only the challenge problems at the end of the chapters (the ones with the *s) if he seems comfortable with the material. On topics that require more work, he may do some of the exercises.

Reviewing this post, I realize I might as well get an AOPS tattoo! laugh

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM