Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    just thought I'd put in an update....

DD has decided she does love gymnastics after all and is focusing on trying out for comp squad next year (sept) so she has quite a while to make an impact. Have to say though that I'm hoping doesn't notice the more bolshy kids being invited for early try outs though. She got off to such a rocky start with listening to instructions and overcoming her fear that I think they may have already popped her in the reject bin. Hoping they notice that her personality is quite well suited to the sport though.

As for music. Once DD realised she would learn recognisable tunes she was away - she practises daily without prompting and is really progressing - well beyond the class. I have a meeting scheduled with her teacher this week who really doesn't like private lessons so I'm going to have to come up with a plan to convince her to do group lessons. I don't really want to move to a new teacher, this one is good and DD likes her.

M
    M
    Coaches who work with young children probably have seen how even a few months could make a huge difference in children's development and drive so I very much doubt that your DD is in any bins. smile

I'm sure private music lessons are expensive in your area too but if your DD is sticking to piano, sooner or later, she'd need private lessons and I think sooner is often better than later if she is going to transfer to a different teacher down the road.

A good piano teacher who has worked with a number of highly talented students and he/she could be a wonderful source of support for your DD and for you. I'm learning so much from her piano teacher who has been teaching at a GT school for many years. She really gets DD's personality, temperament, asynchrony, stubbornness, and her need to explore on her own while still needing instruction. It's always hard to part with a good teacher especially if your child has bonded with her but sometimes, it's necessary.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Mana, good to hear about gym. As you know it's so important and helpful for these kids to stick to something long term and feel they are progressing even when it's hard!

Re piano, I have to admit I'm a bit nervous about talking to the teacher - when I brought up the possibility she gave me a real hard time about DD being too young for that sort of pressure etc and that she intended to convince me to stay with group lessons. There were other parents around so I didn't want to go into it but I know she does tutor quite a few kids privately...
    I need her to get that it isn't really about the piano it's about needing a challenge. At the moment DD has mastered her weekly stuff and by the time they get to the slowed down version in class she is just mucking about and losing interest. sigh.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    ahh scratch that - just got an email saying her teacher has resigned from the school. perfect time for a change then!!!

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mahagogo5
    DD being too young for that sort of pressure etc and that she intended to convince me to stay with group lessons.

Glad to hear that you have a perfect chance to start fresh. I don't think there was much point in spending your time and energy trying to work with someone who feels that way. Besides, maybe SHE puts pressure on her students. There is no reasons for private lessons to be stressful as opposed to joyful.

From what I understand, many private piano teachers do not accept students younger than 6, 7, and sometimes 8. I can respect that each teacher has his or her own reasons for setting a minimum age but when you have a child who is ready, it feels like discrimination. I hope you have some leads of piano teachers who enjoy working with younger students.

When DD was having the time of her life during her piano audition, I knew we had found the right teacher. It could be the beginning of a relationship that spans over a decade so I'd make sure the new teacher is the right person for your family.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Just heard from the teacher - apparently she was pressured to leave by the new owners for supposedly advertising for private students - which makes her reaction seem a lot more sane. Anyway she'll be in touch after the dust is settled I guess! In the meantime I might keep her at the same school for one more term and see how it goes - decisions decisions.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM