Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by aeh
    My #1 had a similar experience until the school--which was a very accommodating small private school--ran out of ways to differentiate and keep #1 meaningfully in the home grade, even after one early entrance, one grade skip, and placement in a multi-age/grade classroom. At that point we could have stuck with the school and had our child in entirely individualized classes (literally, as in the only student in each class-within-a-class, working alone with periodic teacher check-in), search for another school (slim pickings in our area), or homeschool. Since, by then, the majority of real learning was occurring in afterschooling, it was definitely a relief to get rid of the time-wasting and exhausting six-hour b&m school day.

In a way I wonder if it would be easier to decide if DS was bored all day, knowing he wasn't learning anything in school. But he has such asynchronous achievement, and is most knowledgeable about subjects I don't see emphasized in school (science-based), which makes me pause.

Life is the hardest teacher. It gives the test first and then teaches the lesson.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Displaced
    I hesitate to mix "work" with science pleasure. I think as he matures, doing some writing will be okay with science experiments. But then I'd have to correct his handwriting the whole time and I'm pretty sure it would spoil all the fun smile

Just correct his handwriting occasionally, not each time he makes a mistake. Or just have him do a tiny bit of writing, that you correct if necessary. But I know what you mean about mixing work with fun; it can be a delicate balance!

M
    M
    Thank you for your experience. I also feel this way sometimes about school. I wonder what they are really teaching if I have to go back and teach things I feel they should have there? Or maybe they're teaching a lot differently (for example I'm pretty sure I'm teaching phonics to read and they're teaching reading some other magical way). It's such a hard decision for us to know what's best. confused

What's best is surely the things that keep our kids optimally enjoying the adventure of life and lifelong learning. If it's not happening in school and it's within your ability to provide this, then I'm pretty sure I cannot see how choosing to NOT do so is a good choice. Sometimes it's really hard to accept that we need to step outside of the norm. We are conditioned from young to colour within the lines (so to speak) and it is even suggested to us that we owe it to the greater good to fight the good fight.

And while I am happy to be an advocate for more appropriate education for ALL kids, I only owe it to my kids to ensure that they absolutely have access to what keeps them happy, healthy (emotionally and mentally as well) and enjoying their lives as they learn what keeps them happy.

It also makes my life easier without a doubt!

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    Thank you for your experience. I also feel this way sometimes about school. I wonder what they are really teaching if I have to go back and teach things I feel they should have there? Or maybe they're teaching a lot differently (for example I'm pretty sure I'm teaching phonics to read and they're teaching reading some other magical way). It's such a hard decision for us to know what's best. confused

What's best is surely the things that keep our kids optimally enjoying the adventure of life and lifelong learning.

Amen to that!

And BTW, displaced, there is no other magical way to teach reading! 30 years of reading research says kids either learn to read using a phonological approach (which includes but is not limited to phonics), or they learn to read in spite of the other approach.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by aeh
    My #1 had a similar experience until the school--which was a very accommodating small private school--ran out of ways to differentiate and keep #1 meaningfully in the home grade, even after one early entrance, one grade skip, and placement in a multi-age/grade classroom. At that point we could have stuck with the school and had our child in entirely individualized classes (literally, as in the only student in each class-within-a-class, working alone with periodic teacher check-in), search for another school (slim pickings in our area), or homeschool. Since, by then, the majority of real learning was occurring in afterschooling, it was definitely a relief to get rid of the time-wasting and exhausting six-hour b&m school day.

In a way I wonder if it would be easier to decide if DS was bored all day, knowing he wasn't learning anything in school. But he has such asynchronous achievement, and is most knowledgeable about subjects I don't see emphasized in school (science-based), which makes me pause.

I think asynchronous achievement was definitely a major part of our decision to homeschool #2. Plus how stressed out #2 was by spending a whole year in preschool "not learning" (quote from four year old).

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    A
    A
    We don't even really "after school", we "after dinner", because I'm a FT working single mother and consequently, DD is at the afterschool program at her school until about 6pm every day. And they don't really do any academics, unless you count learning the basic rules of chess. Homeschooling is not even a possibility, and since DD is also 2E, private school isn't either (even if we could get financial aid, but likely not).

We are moving to a new district next year, and I'm hoping all their talk pans out and they're really more flexible and accommodating than the current district. That's really about all I can do, at this point. Though I'm getting an au pair next year, too, and hopefully can find one with an interest in science and/or math.

P
    P
    In answer to the question "if you are after schooling because the school isn't doing the job why not just homes hook (paraphrased)". The answer is money. I am a single mother who doesn't earn much and am unable to change that due to health and day are issues. If I don't work there is no income (well there is benefit but I would be expected to have the kids in school and look for work full time). My income does not stretch to care now subsidised pre school care has ended and I have no-one who will care for them for free/cheap. The kids go to school so I can work. When they are 14 and allowed to be left by themselves things may be different but that is 7 years away.

G
    GF2 Offline
    G
    Afterschooling was our gateway to homeschooling, although we never intended to homeschool. We assumed that dc should and would be in school. But our frustration with the limited enrichment and teach-to-the-middle vibe in public school led to more and more afterschooling. Eventualy, afterschooling took over!

P
    P
    For us, afterschooling and extracurricular activities are the main mode of learning. My kids are used to it. We certainly wish that they could learn what they need to learn at school, and do other things at home, but this hasn't worked. My DS had a reasonable K and 1st grade (the teachers were really good at differentiation). But since we moved to a new district (supposedly a very good one, too) things just never worked out in public schools. We have no gifted program and in-class enrichment is way below my kids' real levels. The local gifted, private schools are also not at my kids' levels. So it kind of just evolved into the situation where the kids go and have some fun with friends at school, try not to get in trouble with the teachers, and the majority of learning happens at home.

This will change soon, though. Our district finally started allowing students to take above-grade-level courses online for acceleration. I think DD will sign up as soon as she is old enough. DS will go to a HS with a strong academic focus and there will be lots of choices within and outside of school.

Afterschooling is not ideal for us but we just didn't have better choices.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by GF2
    Afterschooling was our gateway to homeschooling, although we never intended to homeschool. We assumed that dc should and would be in school. But our frustration with the limited enrichment and teach-to-the-middle vibe in public school led to more and more afterschooling. Eventualy, afterschooling took over!

This is exactly how it worked for us. Afterschooling and weekend schooling became what Aiden lived for, until he got so tired of doing busy work and then coming home and doing more that it all fell apart. Shortly thereafter we switched to homeschooling.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM