Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by NikiHarp
    I get the sense that this school has a VERY high opinion of itself. It's an affluent area and the parents here are intense. I talked with three different moms that I would consider friends two weeks ago and was astounded by our conversation. One was concerned that their 4 year old couldn't properly grip a pencil. Another was chastising herself for slacking on the sight word flash cards with her 4 year old. Another asked my opinion of the educational content of the centers in the three year old preschool class. It just seemed a bit much to me for preschool. I don't get a sense that these are kids begging to be taught to read and write but I could be wrong.

Even if the kids are begging to read/write the parents sound just a bit hyper about it lol!

Anyway, what you need to do is totally ignore and don't put those other parents on your radar. What the other parents are doing, or how the school district views itself have no bearing on what your child is *legally* entitled to - you need to simply focus on what your ds needs to be successful, and advocate with blinders on to the rest. I am not sure from what you've said if you turned in your previous requests via email (email should count as a "written" request) - but if you have, I'd write a formal "letter" requesting either the 504 or an IEP evaluation (depending on which you feel is appropriate), send that in via email to your school's 504 or SPED coordinator, and cc the district head of either 504 or SPED. Once that is in you've officially started a time clock which means they will have to respond with either "we'll hold a meeting on xx date" or "we do not think your ds needs the 504 or IEP meeting" - and you'll have either your starting date or you'll have the starting point from which you appeal the decision to not review your ds' needs.

Can I ask a silly question? I'm not sure what "AP" stands for?

pbear

P
    P
    Originally Posted by master of none
    [quote=NikiHarp]To help with this problem, I've always been careful to NOT tell the teacher what my kid knows or needs to learn-- even if I know. I let the teacher get to know my kid. But, if my kid is not getting something, is suffering emotionally, or there are any problems, I bring those problems to their attention-- even if I know the problem is that the teacher won't let my kid type. So for example, LittleTimmy is having a hard time getting his work done in school and he has negative comments on his papers. I'd say "LittleTimmy says he's trying so hard to work faster and neater and he's getting frustrated, so at home, I let him type. I hope that's OK. He'd like to know if there's any way he could do that at school too."

mon offers wonderful advice, but I diverge a slight bit here in how I approach things. I would not go about this in this manner when you know your ds is dysgraphic and has a diagnosis. I'd be up front and state that he needs to have access to keyboarding or scribing or whatever is recommended in your report. I'd explain why he needs that (explain what dysgraphia is and how it impacts a child when using handwriting). Like mon I believe it's important to stay polite and focus on the child, but I do think it's possible to be polite, be focused on your child, and discuss accommodations directly rather than playing a bit of a game to win the teacher over.

polarbear

N
    OP Offline
    N
    AP is assistant principal wink

The ed psych says that, at this point, he needs "intense remediation" in writing. She also mentions that this may gradually shift in a few years from direct intervention to accommodations, like assistive tachnology, etc.

"Intense remediation" sounds like IEP to me. If he needed to type or have a scribe, that seems like a 504. He needs someone to teach him step-by-step how to write, how to organize his thoughts, how to spell, use traditional writing conventions, etc. He can tell you that sentences need to start with capitals and end in punctuation but his writing samples were shockingly bad and it's not because he wasn't trying.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    the question re whether or not your ds needs a 504 or an IEP depends on whether or not he needs individualized instruction (an IEP) or accommodations to allow him to fully participate in the classroom and to be able to demonstrate his knowledge (504). If a student has an IEP and needs accommodations, they are typically included in the IEP rather than having a 504 plan while the IEP is in place.

One other thing to consider - a 504 plan is quicker and easier to put together. An IEP will require eligibility testing by the school in addition to the documentation you already have. A 504 plan can most likely be written from the private eval report that you already have. On the other hand, IEPs come with more legal protections and requirements for the school to follow the paperwork whereas 504s seem to have less safeguards built in. All that said, the deciding factor re pursuing an IEP vs 504 should always be - does my student need an individualized education plan, or will he/she be able to fully access their education with accommodations through a 504.
    Fabulous summary! smile Parents need to have this high-level understanding, and ALSO have resources which they can consult for detail, refer to as experts by name, and quote in meetings, lending authority and strength to the parent's position and presentation, if needed.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by NikiHarp
    AP is assistant principal wink

The ed psych says that, at this point, he needs "intense remediation" in writing. She also mentions that this may gradually shift in a few years from direct intervention to accommodations, like assistive tachnology, etc.

"Intense remediation" sounds like IEP to me. If he needed to type or have a scribe, that seems like a 504. He needs someone to teach him step-by-step how to write, how to organize his thoughts, how to spell, use traditional writing conventions, etc.

Yes, he'll need an IEP to receive the remediation that's been recommended. He'll also need accommodations (keyboarding or scribing) though and you'll want to get them in place now too:

He can tell you that sentences need to start with capitals and end in punctuation but his writing samples were shockingly bad and it's not because he wasn't trying.

THIS is dysgraphia and what needs to be accommodated - he knows the rules for capitals and punctuation, but he can't access that knowledge while he's using handwriting because all of his working memory is taken up by trying to remember how to form each letter that he's writing. That's why he needs accommodations now - so he can show you what he does know, and so the remediation he receives will be able to focus on the specific pieces of written expression that he hasn't learned yet.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 08/05/14 10:57 AM.
    P
    P
    ps - I think you mentioned above you don't know where to look for an advocate - you can start by looking at the "yellow pages" link on the home page for wrightslaw.org - there are agencies listed by state/area there and I think it's a fairly up-to-date inclusive list. That's how I found my local group.

polarbear

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thank you everyone! I'm grateful for all of your input. This is bigger than I thought but I feel like I have a better understanding of what is needed.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    nikiharp, the question re whether or not your ds needs a 504 or an IEP depends on whether or not he needs individualized instruction (an IEP) or accommodations to allow him to fully participate in the classroom and to be able to demonstrate his knowledge (504). If a student has an IEP and needs accommodations, they are typically included in the IEP rather than having a 504 plan while the IEP is in place.

One other thing to consider - a 504 plan is quicker and easier to put together. An IEP will require eligibility testing by the school in addition to the documentation you already have. A 504 plan can most likely be written from the private eval report that you already have. On the other hand, IEPs come with more legal protections and requirements for the school to follow the paperwork whereas 504s seem to have less safeguards built in. All that said, the deciding factor re pursuing an IEP vs 504 should always be - does my student need an individualized education plan, or will he/she be able to fully access their education with accommodations through a 504. Hope that makes sense!

I can't tell you which your ds needs, and as mentioned above sometimes *some* instructional services (in some districts) are covered under a 504 plan (teaching a child to keyboard, for instance). Typically with dysgraphia, students need accommodations (scribing, keyboarding, copies of notes, etc), but sometimes they might also benefit from OT (for handwriting or fine motor), and sometimes the issues with writing go beyond simply accommodating (need help with learning various skills involved in written expression.

Originally Posted by bluemagic
    But keep in mind that they aren't likely to be handing out a 504/IEP the first week of school. There are policies and procedures and these take time. School have to start the process, try obvious things first and then usually show they aren't working before they will even start testing.

What blue magic is describing is called "Response to Intervention" (RTI). RTI is supposed to take place before an IEP eligibility evaluation is held (this is what happens in our district). You do *not* have to have your ds go through RTI first if you are requesting a 504 and have documentation of needs from a credible source. You can also go ahead and request the IEP eligibility evaluation even though RTI hasn't taken place. If the school staff replies that RTI needs to happen first, listen to what they are proposing, then respond by listing the history of what has been tried, what did/didn't' work for your ds, and referring back to the needs listed on the evaluation report you already have. RTI might be general policy, but that policy is aimed at understanding students who haven't been evaluated yet.

polarbear
    Polarbear -- Thanks this explains the process a lot better for me as well. It helps me realize I probably only want a 504 from DS's high school like I thought. And since I've done DS's testing over the summer I might be able to get the school to act without the second SST meeting.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    If you have outside testing that covers all the areas of concern, and are willing to share it with the school, the school does not need to conduct its own evaluation (although I know many districts do anyway). If it is current, valid, comprehensive, and signed by a licensed evaluator, you can ask for an eligibility determination team to be convened based on this information. If the school says they need additional information, ask what it is, and see if you can identify corresponding data in your existing eval. When I receive a report like this, I usually supplement with teacher reports and a classroom observation, but otherwise rely on the results of the outside eval. I might draw different conclusions, but I still use the same data.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks, aeh. I thought I had my arms wrapped around this, but I'm feeling uncertain now. This helps immensely.

I was able to talk with my friend about her experience with this teacher. It was worse than I thought. Her child has an IEP for significant developmental delay and the teacher essentially ignored the child and the mother's requests for help with basic things. She was unresponsive and became defensive when the mother made suggestions about her son. She (the mother) went so far as to say that she didn't feel her son would have been promoted to the next grade had he not received so much outside help.

This pretty much describes the gifted teacher also and I just don't think we can handle a year full of this. DH sent a request for a meeting with the asst principal to discuss placing him in a new class and followed-up with her on the IEP process. If she doesn't respond within 24 hours, he's going to take it up a notch, respectfully.

I don't know if this is the right thing or not but my gut instinct says to push for the change and the IEP. My stomach is in knots leaving him there today. He doesn't know a single boy in his class and the teacher didn't speak to either of us when we entered the room. When I left, I said a cheery, "Have a great fist day" to her and she responded with a flat, "Thanks." I'm being overly sensitive and it's a very busy day and I'm sure that accounts for some of this.

Thanks for listening wink

Last edited by NikiHarp; 08/06/14 06:37 AM. Reason: clarity
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM