Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I read somewhere that word/letter reversal was common/normal through 2nd grade.

~amy
    D
    D
    My dd did this too when she was 4-5yo. She thought it was fun. She wrote normally and mirror image so I never worried about it. It was a pretty cool trick.

Donna, mom to ds15, ds13, and dd9.

www.ptmom.blogspot.com
    M
    M
    Just last night my 3 year old wrote his name backwards in a perfect mirror image of the way he usually writes it.

And my 5 year old is suddenly writing some letters and numbers backwards too (but he is having other complicating issues at the same time).

Esp with Aiden (5) we have started wondering about issues. Even though its still age appropriate, we worry more because he has been able to write it properly for so long. but I have decided that he may just need the freedom right now to do it his own way as a way to help him feel more in control of what he is able to do

AWESOME to read about other kids doing it too though - now I can really stop worrying about it laugh

Last edited by Madoosa; 05/08/12 03:30 PM.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    B
    B
    Our son also did mirror writing at a very early age. It alarmed us and then we learned about Leonardo D. He is fine now: three years later! But, he laughs and enjoys reading backwards at times.

B
    B
    I know this is an old thread, but I just Googled 'ability to write backwards gifted', and I found this thread and had to share. I also used to write backwards for fun all the time when I was in school. I remember in one of my high school classes we had homework that we would self check the next day. One day the teacher said to get out our work and pass it to the person behind us to check. Well, he couldn't read it and told the teacher who told me to please write normally from now on. smile

L
    L
    I can write backwards, though my cursive is prettier if I write it with my nondominant hand. My biggest problem is remembering which way is backwards if I try to write that way - it helps if I'm looking at other writing in a mirror or from the back of the paper at the same time. This wasn't necessary when I was 10 or so, I remember playing with writing direction a lot when I was bored with the concept of classwork in 5th grade.

I've always been able to read any which way as easily as forward and right side up. Somehow this freaked teachers out who already knew I was 4-5 years advanced for age. It's like I suddenly went from advanced angel to diabolical devil child, because I had a skill they hadn't managed by adulthood or even imagined existed.

A
    A
    My 4 year old wrote his name backwards in preschool. The teacher told me that she considered him to be very smart because it is not easy to do it. I have since seen him write with both hands as well as write mirror images of words and sentences backwards. He still has letter reversals at 6 years old, so I thought this ability was what was making him reverse letters while writing normally.
    And my DS can read a book by holding it upside down. Nobody believes this if I tell them (including the pediatrician!).

My mom can write backwards and upside down in beautiful cursive. DD6 can also write backwards and upside down but not in cursive. (She also practices her spelling words by spelling them backwards wink )
    DD11 can also do this, as well as read upside down, which I do a lot as a teacher and it floors my students when I do it in front of them. They then proceed to try it and they can't. I find it amazing that it is not an easy thing for most people to do.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Madoosa
    Just last night my 3 year old wrote his name backwards in a perfect mirror image of the way he usually writes it.

And my 5 year old is suddenly writing some letters and numbers backwards too (but he is having other complicating issues at the same time).

Esp with Aiden (5) we have started wondering about issues. Even though its still age appropriate, we worry more because he has been able to write it properly for so long. but I have decided that he may just need the freedom right now to do it his own way as a way to help him feel more in control of what he is able to do

AWESOME to read about other kids doing it too though - now I can really stop worrying about it laugh

Haha - now 2 years later I can again report that my now 3 year old today wrote his name backwards in perfect mirror image - "just for funnies mommy" and my now 5 year old (THEN 3 year old in my quoted post) does it only when he is bored. And my now 7 year old (then 5 year old) only does it when he is actually using a mirror to try write by looking into the mirror.

So not sure how rare this is - all three of my boys have done it. (my anecdata)

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    T
    T
    I have always written mirror image with my left hand and regular with my right hand and I can do this simultaneously. It has always been natural. It started as a child who tried to write with my left hand instead of my right, but just started writing back words. It's funny to get reactions as people think I am anywhere from evil to weird and strange. I don't know how else my brain is different other than I am rather intuitive.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM