Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    22B #195909 07/04/14 11:47 AM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I don't get the point of structuring a textbook in this way. It seems like a huge waste of time if you just want to quickly learn some stuff.

If I were a child, I would absolutely detest having learning material wrapped up in a story like that (with the obvious exception of learning about literature itself).
    But if you want to entertain yourself, and you enjoy both reading and maths? We haven't tried Fred, but DS loves Lucy and Stephen Hawking's George books, which do something similar with physics.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Curiouser #195913 07/04/14 01:47 PM
    B
    B
    I tried looking up some information on "Life of Fred" last night and found some PDF's of the books. I am not impressed. Partly because my son would absolutely hate the format. Second because I see a LOT of religious content in the short amount I read. And most important because author doesn't seem to really understand higher level math or logic as illustrated by this passage. Mathematicians don't need to "believe" in infinite sets they use proofs, the proofs are just something you wouldn't normally see in an Algebra I text.

Some people like to argue that infinite sets don’t really exist. “After all,” they say, “they’re just a figment of your imagination. It’s all in your head.”
    By that same argument I could prove that pain doesn’t exist.
    When you cut your finger, the pain is experienced in your brain.
    And the pleasure of a bite of warm pizza doesn’t exist.
    And the number three doesn’t exist.
    And truth doesn’t exist.
    Just because it is happening inside your skull doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.
    - Life of Fred Algebra I by Stanley F. Schmidt
    http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/sample%20pages%20BAX.pdf

Curiouser #195914 07/04/14 01:55 PM
    A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Not to get too far off, but in the same vein of social math, has any one tried Danica McKellar's middle school math series for girls (styled like Cosmo/Seventeen)?

http://www.mathdoesntsuck.com/

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    22B #195918 07/04/14 02:44 PM
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by 22B
    I don't get the point of structuring a textbook in this way. It seems like a huge waste of time if you just want to quickly learn some stuff.
    The series is written to incorporate situations which require math to arrive at a resolution, thereby helping a student to make connections so that math is relevant. The point of structuring the books this way is: as the children learn math they do not wonder, "When will we ever use this stuff?", a question which many teachers appear unable to answer.

Like any tool or curriculum, LoF works for many but may not be a good fit for all.

bluemagic #195921 07/04/14 02:59 PM
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    I tried looking up some information on "Life of Fred" last night and found some PDF's of the books. I am not impressed. Partly because my son would absolutely hate the format. Second because I see a LOT of religious content in the short amount I read. And most important because author doesn't seem to really understand higher level math or logic as illustrated by this passage. Mathematicians don't need to "believe" in infinite sets they use proofs, the proofs are just something you wouldn't normally see in an Algebra I text.

Some people like to argue that infinite sets don’t really exist. “After all,” they say, “they’re just a figment of your imagination. It’s all in your head.”
    By that same argument I could prove that pain doesn’t exist.
    When you cut your finger, the pain is experienced in your brain.
    And the pleasure of a bite of warm pizza doesn’t exist.
    And the number three doesn’t exist.
    And truth doesn’t exist.
    Just because it is happening inside your skull doesn’t mean that it doesn’t exist.
    - Life of Fred Algebra I by Stanley F. Schmidt
    http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/sample%20pages%20BAX.pdf

On the contrary, the question of which, if any, infinite objects we should believe in in the sense of being prepared to adopt reasoning systems that imply and work with them is utterly mathematically respectable. Here's one starting point:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finitism

Admittedly, the passage you quoted isn't all that illuminating!

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Curiouser #195932 07/04/14 09:09 PM
    C
    C
    Actually, in my Graduate Math Analysis class at a top 10 Engineering School, my world renowned professor, as we were moving to proving various infinite sets and aspects of the number line, answered a question the following way "In Math, there are many things we can prove, but at the foundations of Math we start with some assumptions and frankly you just have to take them by faith." Don't ask me the particulars because i was an Engineer taking Math Analysis simply to develop "proof" skills. As soon as I left that class, I proceeded to block out everything about Math Analysis.

Last edited by Chana; 07/04/14 09:12 PM.
    Chana #195935 07/04/14 10:38 PM
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Chana
    Actually, in my Graduate Math Analysis class at a top 10 Engineering School, my world renowned professor, as we were moving to proving various infinite sets and aspects of the number line, answered a question the following way "In Math, there are many things we can prove, but at the foundations of Math we start with some assumptions and frankly you just have to take them by faith." Don't ask me the particulars because i was an Engineer taking Math Analysis simply to develop "proof" skills. As soon as I left that class, I proceeded to block out everything about Math Analysis.
    http://www.simonsfoundation.org/quanta/20131126-to-settle-infinity-question-a-new-law-of-logic/

Curiouser #195939 07/04/14 11:12 PM
    C
    C
    22B

1) Thank you for reigniting that quarter long headache that I endured

2) I am impressed with myself for understanding that article. I guess, though I suppressed all thoughts related to that course, it is still buried in there somewhere.

Curiouser #195944 07/05/14 10:42 AM
    B
    B
    I do appreciate the fun in trying to prove infinity and debating it's existence. There are people who debate the existence of "3" as well.

Speaking of infinity a few months ago Vi Hart put out a realativly new video about infinity that is fun. http://vihart.com/how-many-kinds-of-infinity-are-there/

Curiouser #195951 07/05/14 02:45 PM
    K
    K
    We used LoF for most of our math last summer/fall. We started with Apples, even though the first many books were too easy. DS8 enjoyed the story, he learned some new stuff (like sets), and it eased us both into homeschooling. We made it as far as Fractions before we stopped (DS found the Bridge sections to be too stressful, so we are on hiatus.)

Regarding religion, yes, the religion is throughout all the books I've read. But I don't think it's too overdone, and it does expose DS to an aspect of our culture that he wouldn't necessarily see (we are not religious at all).

As for price, we just bit the bullet and bought them. But we've got DD7 occasionally using them too, now, so that helped justify owning them. I have seen them for sale on some of the homeschooling-swap groups, but I bet they go quickly.

We have all the books through Beginning Algebra, although we stopped using them formally after Fractions. That being said, at least once a week I see him reading one of them on his own.

I think one reason DS likes Fred is because even though Fred is brilliant, he's pretty naive. Fred makes mistakes all the time, he's constantly learning, and he's non-threatening.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM