Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 117 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by bluemagic
    I'm emotionally wrung out of from another fight with my son. Seems after all the effort I have been putting in and there is still homework he hasn't been doing. It just feels to me that he isn't putting in the effort I want out of him. It doesn't bug me when he has difficulty with something even when he gets blocked, or even does badly on a test I know he has studied for but it angers me off when I feel he isn't even trying.

It sounds like part of the problem is that he is making some poor decisions, with negative consequences. Do you have some insight into that?
    This is part of what the psychologist is working on with us. We meet with her next week without him. I understand this is not that unusual for a lot of 15 year olds, but it's still aggravating.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    OK so I think I've settled on a provider. I was really hard to make a decision, I just connected better with this doctor. Checked online with the Mental Health insurance plan. The only chance in getting them to cover any of it (50% since it's out of network) is if we get per-authorization. Any suggestions on what to say when I call. Since testing for "educational" reasons is not likely to be covered, I'm considering mentioning DS's anxiety problems? I don't really want to lie and that was his DX 3 years ago when he saw someone. His psychologist did say we were trying to test to see if his block was expressive processing vs. anxiety.

Anyone have a clue what to say. I'm well aware that what language I use is likely to give me a different result. DS's psychologist is going to call me back on another issue so I will ask her as well.

P
    P
    bluemagic, I don't know what words to use - but fwiw, our testing was covered by our *medical* insurance policy, not our mental health, and we had our ped's office fax in the referral, rather than us calling directly (that's pretty much what you *have* to do where we live - if you call in as an individual without a referral from a primary care dr the office staff won't even talk to you, much less make an appointment). Anyway, our ped's office has a standard form that the dr fills out when making a referral which includes what the referral is for as well as the concerns/symptoms etc supporting the referral. Once the psych's office has the referral form, then the office staff has been helpful with determining codes etc that will work for our insurance (both mental health and medical).

polarbear

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Thanks polarbear, my insurance doesn't work that way. I used it a few years ago. I call, talk with someone on the phone who is mostly looking for buzzwords. If I meet the right buzzwords they will OK the approval and give me a list providers. I then send in the bill and IF I also have diagnosis they might pay. It's a bunch of work for them covering maybe 50% after a deductable but this is expensive enough to make that worth it. And perhaps some of the psychologists costs. Last time I took my son to get a doctor note that I ended up not needing. That was one miserable appointment for all of us.

Just get off the phone with the psychologist and she thinks I should go with anxiety, and "ruling out autism". She doesn't think my son has ASD but I've had it mentioned to me enough times even from my pediatrician. And asking for it to be ruled out would be a good reason to have a private neuropsychologist do the test. It was also suggested that I stay off school as the reason for testing, but highlight his social issues and possible depression.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM