Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 375 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    P
    P
    Another family of ukulele fans here smile My kids eventually dropped the ukulele and moved on to other instruments, but it was a relatively low investment, and was fun!

polarbear

M
    M
    I must confess, I don't know any children who take guitar lessons or ukulele for that matter but it seems like some Suzuki teachers do a lot of other things aside from playing the instrument if the student is very young. I think it comes down to finding the right teacher who can guide the process carefully and lovingly and having reasonable expectations as to what is developmentally possible.

DD had her public performance "debut" recently. She's had a number of recitals in the past and has done some gigging but this one was rather special and she worked really hard all summer to prepare for it. Sometimes, I do wonder if we started too early but thus far, music training has taught her how to learn from teachers and how to work together as a team better than anything else I can imagine. She is learning to overcome her perfectionism because she finally figured out that with performance, no matter what, it's never going to be perfect. Most importantly, it has brought so much joy into her life that at the end of the day, I have no regrets.

But I do have one complaint. It really is incredibly expensive. We get a lot of help from her teachers who are so generous with their time and we are very grateful but even then, it's a huge financial strain.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    We ultimately opted against lessons for the time being. DS isn't mature enough to focus on or benefit from lessons, or to be able to consistently apply himself to practice, without significantly impairing his enjoyment of music at this age (or earlier). He's now showing more interest in drums, so we'll keep up playing on free mode on our Rock Band set to give him a (free) taste of rhythm and tempo.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM