Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I have seen my DD occasionally regress by over regularising verbs in written text. It freaked me out a bit until DW, a high school teacher pointed out that this is common before a growth spurt or developmental milestone is attained.

I stopped worrying and things did self correct. My DD occasionally reverts back to reading How To Tame Your Dragon and Gerenimo Stilton books so I wouldn't pay undue attention to this. He will be over it soon enough I expect.

Become what you are
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    He can read whatever--that's okay...I'm just concerned about what is going on in his head, YK? He was weeping about this--completely worked up about it. This kid! He seems so easy most of the time and then something like this will pop up.

I also wonder if someone told him he is too young to read what he reads, or something? Perhaps he is feeling the asynchronicity all of a sudden? Library trips have gotten weird because he and DD10 sometimes are reading the same things now. She is not emotionally ready for YA yet, so at times they're both reading the same types of higher-grade fantasy, though she certainly reads thing he would not due to topics and plot subtleties.

M
    M
    Maybe buy him a "Big Nate" book, or if you can deal with it, Captain Underpants? It is light reading, definitely, but longer, and typically loved by 6 year old boys. It might be a good segue to get him back to the other books he likes to read.

I
    I
    Aw, my ds was such a sweet tender heart at that age too! Here are a few series we enjoyed after the ones you listed:

A few sweet series to try: Humphrey books! He is a class hamster. Geronimo Stilton, head of a mouse newspaper/adventure books
    Mysteries: Cam Jansen, Bones, The Mysterious Benedict Society (we LOVE those!), Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys, the 39 series, A to Z Mysteries, Magic Tree House
    General: The Chocolate Touch, Chocolate Fever, Lemonade War series
    Classics: Narnia, Matilda, Shiloh, Old Yeller, The Yearling, Where the Red Fern Grows, Pippi Longstocking, Sounder, White Fang, Hatchet, etc.

Enjoy! smile

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs