Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 137 guests, and 36 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    cym #18836 07/02/08 06:26 AM
    I couldn't have said it better myself. We(siblings and I) had way too much freedom as children and like anything else there was good and bad. I have made a thought out and calculated choice to be a much more available parent. I think both of my girls are much more centered, confident and secure than I was, even at a much older age.

Austin #19311 07/08/08 09:38 AM
    F
    F
    Thanks for recapping your experiences Austin.

Originally Posted by Austin
    ... I could do 8 digit division in my head...

This is impressive. What do you do now?

4. Map out a roadmap for them in all subjects and adhere to it. Make sure the roadmap aims right through a college curriculum. This will give them discipline. My mentor noted above did this for me in Software and Astronomy and it made a huge difference.

This is what I would like to do for my DS: what are the resources and process steps for developing such suitable road maps? Is this, in effect, the same as drafting an IEP? Where do you look for appropriate age/learning benchmarks?

fitzi #19317 07/08/08 11:09 AM
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by fitzi
    Thanks for recapping your experiences Austin.

... I could do 8 digit division in my head...

This is impressive. What do you do now?

I use a calculator and C#!!!!

4. Map out a roadmap for them in all subjects and adhere to it. Make sure the roadmap aims right through a college curriculum. This will give them discipline. My mentor noted above did this for me in Software and Astronomy and it made a huge difference.

This is what I would like to do for my DS: what are the resources and process steps for developing such suitable road maps? Is this, in effect, the same as drafting an IEP? Where do you look for appropriate age/learning benchmarks?

I've been thinking the same thing. I was hoping there would be something like this laid out in a FAQ on this site or somewhere else. I've not seen a collation or even a colloqium and I've been thinking about a way to go through all the posts in a reasonable way to collate the suggestions.

Such a grand framework is implied, but I've not seen one laid out. Most treatments of a subject recapitulatate the history of the science. Here is a great
    map.

There is a Philology based upon the Dewey Decimal System which would be the place to start as a framework to enumerate the books which would form the basis of a broad curriculum. However, you would need a seperate framework for Ideas. In addition, there are methods and strategies for teaching and for dealing with issues which would have to have a framework as well.

Core Ideas
    Methods
    DDC

Worst case, if you read the top two books ( most checked out ) in each section in the third summary of the DDC ( the thousands ) then you would have a very broad education.

Then use the very narrow curriculum from a major HS publisher for specific subjects required for college entrance.

Austin #19322 07/08/08 11:39 AM
    F
    F
    I use a calculator and C#!!!!

I meant professionally. With such an interesting early bio, I wondered what kind of work you ultimately sought out.

I've been thinking the same thing. I was hoping there would be something like this laid out in a FAQ on this site or somewhere else. I've not seen a collation or even a colloqium and I've been thinking about a way to go through all the posts in a reasonable way to collate the suggestions.

Such a grand framework is implied, but I've not seen one laid out. Most treatments of a subject recapitulatate the history of the science. Here is a great
    map.

There is a Philology based upon the Dewey Decimal System which would be the place to start as a framework to enumerate the books which would form the basis of a broad curriculum. However, you would need a seperate framework for Ideas. In addition, there are methods and strategies for teaching and for dealing with issues which would have to have a framework as well.

Core Ideas
    Methods
    DDC

Worst case, if you read the top two books ( most checked out ) in each section in the third summary of the DDC ( the thousands ) then you would have a very broad education.

Then use the very narrow curriculum from a major HS publisher for specific subjects required for college entrance.

Yes, whenever I try to brainstorm this, it seems like a dauntingly large project. I will have to do an awful lot of learning myself, if we go this route, just to be a decent facilitator.

Thanks for your thinking.

fitzi #19354 07/09/08 09:40 AM
    Austin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I meant professionally. With such an interesting early bio, I wondered what kind of work you ultimately sought out.

To pay the bills, I do design, integration, and troubleshooting on very large systems.

Austin #19357 07/09/08 09:48 AM
    Very cool. Although now that you told us that, I may end up driving you crazy begging your expertise! I am admittedly a nut about privacy issues. smile
    Seriously, though, I will try not to be too obnoxious!!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM