Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 289 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    That is what we eventually decided upon, too, CFK. DD gravitated to the grad students, professor, and post-docs in the lab during her summer research internship... at 14. shocked

I'm hopeful that placing her in an honors college setting will, as another poster indicated, provide her with a small-college-within-a-larger-full-service-research-university, and be the best of both worlds.

Short of MIT and the associated admissions frenzy, unbelievable annual costs, family upheaval, etc. with a 14yo in the eye of that storm, it seemed the best we could do.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I'm hopeful that placing her in an honors college setting will, as another poster indicated, provide her with a small-college-within-a-larger-full-service-research-university, and be the best of both worlds.

It provided me with an alcoholic felon as a roommate.

And boy were there a number of rather interesting people populating the dorm.

It could have been that it was the 90's, though.

Things were quite different last century.

Have I also mentioned how I feel about kids <17 living in dorms? Yeah-- just... not. Happily, many colleges feel this way, as well. grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Have I also mentioned how I feel about kids <17 living in dorms? Yeah-- just... not. Happily, many colleges feel this way, as well. grin

There was also a Rhodes Scholar in the dorm.

I
    I
    HowlerKarma, she loves, loves, loves HMC. I have never seen her so happy. She is maxed out academically (which a lot of parents know can make a PG kid really happy!). She has friends, thinks her classes are mostly fascinating, her professors are brilliant and really want to teach undergrads, and she likes the weather (no polar vortex there!). I can barely pry her off campus to come home for breaks. She applied for summer research on campus but didn't get it for this summer, but I am sure it will work out next summer -- not many freshman get to do it. She has discovered computer science (who knew??) and thinks she may major in it. So honestly, it could not be better (except for the pocketbook part -- but we are making it work). Whew -- found a hole for my square peg. smile

G
    G
    That was about my experience with Mudd. It's 4 years in my life where everything from my social to academic life made sense. So glad she's happy.

I
    I
    geofizz, I think you nailed it with the "made sense" part. She told me last week (spring break, I made her go on vacation with us smile ) that she feels like she can really relax and be herself at Mudd, which is one of the best parts. I think it is going to be pretty sad when she has to leave at the end of her 4 years. One thing I noticed when we visited before she applied was that the kids didn't seem to be itching to get off campus like a lot of kids are at small schools by junior year. The juniors and seniors were really into their clinical projects and classes, and still seemed excited to be there.

Last edited by intparent; 03/25/14 05:23 PM.
    G
    G
    Agree, except for DonutMan and Sanomlong (sp!), we stuck to campus. So much so that when I was at Pomona a few weeks ago, I wasn't entirely sure where I was. Finding Mudd was easy, though, walk towards the mountains.

Learning my own social needs and learning social skills there have paid off long term, and has made things easier for me since leaving than I suspect it would have been otherwise.

P
    P
    We had a separate honors only dorm, not that it stopped the drinking;)

Originally Posted by CFK
    Sounds like he is at a LAC, but if not is he qualified to take graduate level classes? Maybe he can find a peer group among grad students in his chosen field. They wouldn't be in grad school if they weren't passionate about their field and learning.

These days, I suspect that a lot of grad students are passionate about further credentialing and potential salary increases.

However, I could be quite mistaken, since I don't hang around grad students (anymore), and I'm thinking about chemical engineering, which people went into *for* the money (which was the same with law, only worse, since you were talking six figures), I could be mistaken.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM