Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 441 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    U
    U
    HK, I went to a small school known for being very quirky and intellectual and found my people almost immediately. My sibings went to huge universities (selective ones, but...) and found their people eventually, but it took them both till well into their sophomore years.

O
    O
    Of course, it makes a big difference not just where you study but WHAT you study. Ensure the subject matter is challenging, not just the level.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Isn't angst-fueled navel-gazing a fundamental component of adolescence and the transition into adulthood? smile I think that at some point in during that time, many people realize that they feel a lack of connection to their surroundings and peers.

I didn't think it ever went away.

I've been disconnected for 20 years.

N
    N
    I have a tough time believing that he can't find "his people" at a rigorous LAC. I'm thinking along the lines of schools such as Williams, Middlebury, etc.

DD18 knows some PG kids. One went to a rigorous school (not an LAC) and he is thriving there. Finally challenged in classes and has come out of his shell socially.

Now maybe if it isn't an elite school, but more like a school DD18 attends, he could find school not so challenging. It is a good school for her major (typically listed in top ten for the major), but overall not so rigorous. She now aces courses that she didn't ace in HS. I have mixed feelings about that.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Old Dad
    Of course, it makes a big difference not just where you study but WHAT you study. Ensure the subject matter is challenging, not just the level.

ITA. And fwiw... I am not sure that I buy that a person who is PG can only identify with people who are also PG - surely there are going to be people that your ds can find who he identifies with in other ways - through shared interests.

Which doesn't mean that all college campuses are going to be a good fit for all students. We had a *lot* of students transfer out of our relatively small university after freshman year - because the social part of life wasn't working out. I'm not so sure it was the actual mix of students or the campus itself as much as it happened because so many of the freshmen were away from home (in a far-away sense) for the first time and they missed what was familiar, missed old friends, etc. The people I knew who left after their first year all went on to other colleges and were all happy - sometimes in very similar circumstances to what they'd left at the first college. I remember wanting to leave more than a few times too during that first year too, but I lived close to home and was able to "get away" on the weekends.

Freshman classes (at our school) were typically a lot of requirements across majors, and not the most exciting classes. Once you'd gotten past that first year and were taking courses in your major, that's when the rigor started and when you started finding yourself taught by interesting profs rather than not-quite-so-interesting grad students. So that's the other thing to think through - is he really going to be unhappy forever at his current uni, or does he just need to stick it out and try sophomore year and higher level courses in his major.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 03/24/14 02:58 PM.
    W
    W
    This is such an important observation. Your student is so lucky to have your assistance and input. Look for a university level honors program. Find majors that require an unbelievable amount of reading, writing, science classes, writing or some combination. The honors students work through the night when everyone else is either partying or sleeping. Yes, you may find a small percentage of those people. I think that may be why someone said it is lonely at the top. But, the gifted person needs a high-level of intellectual stimulation. Also, there are some towns in the United States that are known to have a larger number of intellectuals. Your student will likely be drawn to those places and will want to work in those places anyway. It feels like a tough topic to discuss with just anyone; it is very hard to explain our needs when other people just do not feel that way. Good luck and please do not mind if we do not give too many specifics. This is not an easy discussion to have because people seem to take offense if you suggest that some students are working much harder during their college years than others. It is not about comparison. It is just about meeting different needs.

I
    I
    Interesting post. My D, a college freshman, had finding PG people in a challenging environment at the top of her criteria list. Her final three choices were U of Chicago, Swarthmore, and Harvey Mudd. She is happily working her tail off and hanging out with bright people and bright professors at Mudd. Other schools that seem like they could have met her criteria: Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Caltech, and MIT. Certainly other schools have significant numbers of gifted students and challenging courses, but none except those seemed really immersed in the culture and challenges she wanted.

I've been dying to know how she's liking HMC, intparent-- that's great to hear!! laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    G
    G
    North Dormer/Linde Dormer here... Glad she's liking Mudd. Can't imagine anyone not finding challenge there.

Last edited by geofizz; 03/25/14 04:14 AM.
    P
    P
    I went to a huge state flagship university (over 60,000) and was part of the honors program. I had a fabulous experience. Mentors in your area of interest and the opportunities for research were built into the honors program. For my family finances were an issue and I found this to be a great compromise (and an overall wonderful experience). Also, the classes were considerably smaller this way:)).

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM