Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 192 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    B
    B
    I'm in a similar situation--grade skipping. My daughter will be 5 in Oct and the cut-off in our state is Sept 1st. My daughter was recently given an IQ test for early entrance into Kindergarten. She tested in the 99th percentile. We are now trying to decide if we should put her into 1st grade and have her skip kindergarten altogether. She is capable of doing at minimum 2nd grade work in math and reading, she is probably reading at the 5th/6th grade level based on a reading program she is doing.

My problem is my daugther could play all day and occasionally she'll initiate some academic work. Yet, she picks it up without even trying. Should we move her up to challenge her or let her continue to play some more in Kindergarten?

ajb
    M
    M
    My experience - if she can handle kindergarten, do kindergarten and skip first grade. If she enjoys playing, kindergarten can be fun and I vote for all the fun a child can handle.

On the other hand, the kindergarten may be too academic - especially if it is a full day program - and jumping into first make make things more interesting. However.... even in first, she may be bored.

Either way, the school may need to provide some enrichment or acceleration in reading.

Be aware though that the unless this is the school's assessment that she is reading on a 5th grade level, they may not assess her as high as you do. My DS was reading some adult material at 4 - yet the school tested as only 4th grade when he was 7. His reading skills hadn't diminished, but they measure things differently. By their scale, she may be 2nd grade reading and be perfectly fine with no acceleration. You may have to do enrichment at home to maintain the zeal...

Mary

Mary
    My experience is that if the school system is allowing you any early enterance or grade skipping - take it! For radical acceleration it seems that the expert to read is Exceptionally Gifted Children (Paperback) by Miraca Gross.

My school district won't allow even single subject acceleration for my DS9. If they had caught him earlier he wouldn't have had to face leaving friends behind, which I think is harder on a kid than early enterance. BTW, I myself am a product of early enterance, and it seems I got the worst of both worlds. I felt bad that my handwriting wasn't pretty and girlish, and I was languishing in the classroom due to lack of challenge. It is true that people mis-attribute all their misery to any noticible difference - for me it was "'cause I'm the youngest." Of course, if my parents had been more upfront about "why" I was the youngest, or able to get additional single subject acceleration, things might have gone smoother - even so, it all worked out in the end.

My parent's explaination for my being the youngest was, "well, girls mature faster than boys, hem, hem...."

If it were up to me, all kids would be in multi-age classrooms. DS9 suggests hooking kids up to lie dectors and asking them what grade they belong it in each subject, and then putting them there.

Smiles -Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    B
    B
    I appreciate all the comments on grade skipping. This is a big dilemna for my family and we want to make the right short and long term decision.

My daughter was tested through a gifted program when she turned 4 years old at 3rd grade reading and the end of first grade for math and her writing skills were tested at 7 years, 3 months. At 4 1/2, she was doing multiplication and division, as well as regrouping/borrowing. Her reading skills has also improved. Since she will still be 4 years old when school starts, we're apprehensive about her being in the classroom with kids 2-3 years older. At the same time, we do not want her to be bored in the kindergarten classroom.

Could anyone share their experiences with kids in a similar situation (skipping 2 grades early on) and how are the kids doing now?

ajb
    B
    B
    Hi!
    Our DD is just turned 5 and is being skipped to 1st with subject accel in math and LA. This is the max allowed. In this school district, there is actually a heavy trend towards "red-shirting", meaning some of the kids in her class next year will turn 8. That is a 2.5-3 year difference, as she will only be not quite 5.5 in the fall when we start. I know it is a big adjustment, but hang in there. No amount of "age difference" will solve the differences in how your child learns, behaves and thinks. We have learned that the hard way. I thought our DD would "get along" better with older kids, but they can be just as callous and immature as the toddlers she didn't get along with...just in different ways. The best thing is to make sure she is strong in her own self-concept, and has some appropriate "stock" answers. I am watching this next year like a hawk. If I detect that she is being bullied, it will be addressed. If it is not, then we have no qualms about homeschooling. Good luck!
    AL

D
    D
    Here is my first post which summarizes up to my son's 4th grade year.

Originally Posted by delbows
    Our daughter attended a private kindergarten before her 5th birthday and excelled. Even though the school recommended she be admitted to 1st grade at the public school it feeds into, the principle refused based on age. She attended a second year of kindergarten with the public school and was labeled as gifted and a delight to have in class. I was assured that the 1st grade curriculum would challenge her because she was put with the teacher who offers a differentiated curriculum. This often meant that she and a few other students were allowed to read their chapter books while the teacher instructed the rest of the class.

About halfway though her 1st grade year, my husband and I began to make appointments with the superintendent and write to and address the school board at its public meetings. Our request was that they adopt a method to access readiness for early entrance and grade acceleration. We knew that our son would not be as compliant as our daughter and feared he would be incorrectly labeled because he would not tolerate being “taught” in kindergarten what he had know since he was 18 months. Our motive was to help other children as well as our own. We were met only with indifference and hostility from every angle on this issue. The exception were a few educators who privately said they agreed with us and a few parents who wished the same for their kids, but said they didn’t have skin as thick as ours.

At literally the last hour-one week before our son was scheduled to begin K at the public school, I called our local Catholic school again and literally begged for them to meet him. At the conclusion of the evaluation conducted by the assistant principle, they had no reservations about putting him in 1st grade. Two months into the school year, we removed our daughter from 2nd grade at the public school and placed her into 3rd grade at the Catholic school. We consider it as a 1-� grade jump because the curriculum is far more demanding at the private school than it was at the high standardized test scoring public school.

We believed that early entrance to 1st grade was an easy fix, but were rather concerned about actually skipping a grade. It turned out to be so easy it was almost spooky. The only time I became concerned was the next school year when she entered 4th grade. Non of her prior public school experience had prepared her for the organizational skills and work habits necessary to efficiently tackle the homework required in 4th grade. She was over-whelmed for approximately 6 weeks. I understand this is the same problem many under-challenged gifted students face in high school or college when they finally reach a point were they have to study and work at a subject after coasting along with no effort for so many years.

Our son does well in school but really needs to attend a school for highly gifted students. He does not have a natural tendency to “think inside the box” which is what students are required to do in the lower levels of grade school. He could handle the subject content of two or more grades up, however, his hand writing is not fast enough to keep up with the note taking required for six grade and up. He exemplifies the asynchronous profile found in many highly gifted kids. He is a young scholar with the Davidson Institute and we are very grateful for their support. We know it will continue to be a challenge to appropriately educate him.

In conclusion, (if anyone got this far) my opinion is that a single grade skip in combination with a differentiated curriculum in a safe first step. Especially given the fact that your daughter is telling you what she wants. I believe that inattention and frustration are a result of lack of challenge and that as long as the task isn’t unrealistic, children do meet the high expectations their parents hold for them. My caveat, is that strait A’s may be unrealistic in the short term, however meaningful education will replace “excellence without effort”.

J
    J
    I read all your posts with interest and then realized eventually that most of your messages were posted 1-2 years ago. Can some of you share your children's progress / results of your decisions?

My 4 year old was tested for early entry into kindergarten when he was 4 yrs, 2 mos. He tested above 99.9% in math and reading (grade equivalency: 2.4-2.9). I am concerned about how he would adjust to being "taught" things he had already taught himself when he was one. My child enjoys playing with children who are much older, and he's known to cause trouble when he is bored. He will be exactly 4.5 yo in the fall. I had never even considered skipping to 1st grade until I read your posts. I don't even know if the school would allow it, but maybe I should consider it? Did any of you place your 4yo in 1st grade? How did they do?

I realize some of you might have already your stories in other threads that might be relevant for me. In that case, just tell me where I can find your posts. Thanks!

Some of the decision depends upon the K program, I think.

Our K program was half-day non-academic, and we had a wonderful teacher who "got" our child and did a good job of differentiating what academic work there was for him. He mostly played at school and learned at home, and that was fine. It wasn't until he hit 1st grade--full-day, highly academic--and things went wrong fast!

In our situation, 1st grade would have been the year to skip, not K. (We chose to homeschool instead, but I think skipping would have been a workable choice, too.) But I really think it depends on what K and 1st are like at your school.

FWIW, I think Deborah Ruf's book also suggests that skipping 1st can tend to be better than skipping K, assuming K is more play-based than 1st grade is and the child will be able to learn at home. If K is academic, though, then I'd say skipping makes sense.

Kriston
    DS started K at 4:9 and switched to 1st in the spring at 5:4. So far, this is working well for him.

ETA He had already been attending a private K for 5 months starting at age 4:2.

Last edited by Cathy A; 05/12/08 03:44 PM.
    acs Offline
    I suggest you visit the kindergarten and see what it looks like. DS and I visited in the spring and met both teachers and felt quite comfortable with him going there. Maybe it's too late, though, for you to visit. At least try to meet the teacher and get a tour and find out if he/she will be flexible for kids that aren't in the middle.

Ditto what Kriston said. Kindergarten can be more fun and a good time to bond with school and learn basic school culture and rules. First is often very regimented as there are standards that all kids need to meet, which means that the teacher is forced to focus on the kids who are having trouble making those standards. But each school and kid is different.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM