Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 312 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Val
    1. What's the gifted program like in your district? Is it a pullout for a few hours a week, or a completely different program that the kids attend all day, every day? Do the kids move through material more quickly? Could they, say, finish two years of math class in one? You said the program is "out of this world," but that doesn't really tell us much.

@binip may know these answers, or maybe not, but I'm familiar with the gifted program she's considering and it's like this:

Kids are in gifted classrooms all day every day. They're arranged into classes based on their reading scores.

Math: Kids are leveled on the first day of school, placed 1-3 levels up from their grade depending on demonstrated proficiency. They can't move up during the year, but are re-tested every year.

Language arts: The program utilizes specialized curriculum marketed for gifted students, not the standard district stuff. Lots of custom assignments, and expectations are reasonably individualized in this area.

Science: Uses the hands-on kits for the next year up.

Social Studies: Uses the regular curriculum for the same grade, with some extra projects.

Critical thinking is a keystone of the program and they do work hard on critical thinking as a theme across all areas.

It's a reasonable program in most respects.

Last edited by Aufilia; 03/12/14 10:12 PM.
    B
    binip Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Aufilia
    Originally Posted by Val
    1. What's the gifted program like in your district? ...

@binip may know these answers, or maybe not, but I'm familiar with the gifted program she's considering and it's like this:

Kids are in gifted classrooms all day every day....

Critical thinking is a keystone of the program and they do work hard on critical thinking as a theme across all areas.

It's a reasonable program in most respects.

Thanks! Yes, this is pretty much what I've seen. The main thing that I like is that they challenge the kids more--that's the critical thinking aspect, with higher expectations. They also do a lot of enrichment and link kids to camps, after-school activities, etc. To be honest, the whole district does, but this school in particular is great. The school-wide focus is on literacy and writing this year and you can tell.

It's good because it's so reasonable... almost as if it was designed by someone who knew what they were doing. wink

Regarding the other posts, thank you! Some answers:

To me it always seems a bit like saying to a kid "you run too fast so we will tie your legs together to slow you down" rather than "you run very fast so we will look for people who can also run very fast for you to run against".

If only my IQ had dropped when I learned my first foreign language, or my second, or if bilingual children around the world were somehow being slowed down by being dumped into English and French immersion international baccalaureate programs by their affluent, multi-lingual parents, I could see this.

For me, immersion education is a window into two worlds. It's like getting to try a triathlon instead of a marathon. Or rather, running a marathon in the mountains rather than on flat land (they say the Seattle, Denver and San Francisco marathons are among the hardest "conventional" marathons in the world... mainly because they are hilly or high altitude).

Runners in Kenya train in the mountains where oxygen is harder to come by and then kick butt in the lowlands. To me, that's what immersion is like.

Not tying their legs together, not at all. Learning a language frees your mind from the constraint of mono-lingualism. Sure that might slow computation time, but it's far more freeing and you learn to compensate.

am also in the process of choosing which school (middle) to accept for DS & DD. Given their age (10), I am giving them the final say but have provided all the pros and cons as well as encouraged them to compile their own pros and cons. Too bad there isn't a crystal ball so we can see where they will be happiest!

Oh, middle school, yet more dilemmas! I wish you the best. Do they have to go to the same one?

I guess the thing that I have noticed and seems to be common across children on this board is not the area of talent as much as the obsessiveness.

My older daughter is a perfectionist and does obsess, but only over socially acceptable things. She is emotionally obsessive, not intellectually obsessive, although it does bother her a LOT when she gets an answer wrong at school. So far she has gotten one computation problem wrong (after DST switch, natch) and one explanation wrong (you know the kind... Math Expressions, not a bad curriculum, but sometimes kids who know the concept a little too well can't explain why it is true).

Still, your DD sounds more "gifted" than mine. My little one, well, definitely not verbally gifted (unless you count her sense of humor and knowing two languages, but again keep in mind she didn't teach herself, it was immersion), though both my daughters have been said by their music teacher to be extremely talented. She's really the only one to say anything, though. But then, again, we live in an area where we know a lot of very high performing children.

Why do you want to leave the first school? If staying is a possibility, how open is the school to acceleration?

The school houses part of the district gifted program, so if she does get in, there's no move, and I believe she'll be interested because she likes to be in the top groups. I just thought she'd benefit from immersion, but as this thread goes on, and as I talk to her, the more I think she'd be better off with extra-curriculars and staying where she is.

Can you get the test scores sooner? It seems reasonable to ask about them as a way of making an informed decision.

I can certainly ask, but I believe there is about a -.000000000001% chance of them saying yes. laugh

It says on the website that scores will not be released until a certain date, why they won't be released, and then in bold letters, do not contact the district regarding your child's test scores.

Of course there will be attrition, but they want to prevent extra attrition from strivers who will move from program to program. I think this is reasonable. Their thought is, probably about 10% of these children will be 145+ because it's a special pool of kids: striving, aware parents in a high-income, high-achievement area. So they will lose a ton of kids to that program if they don't ask you to make that decision before accepting. Sure they might lose profoundly gifted little ones...

The gifted school was one of the most expensive private schools in the country (top 10% tuition), and there was no public gifted education available to DD in her grade

Oh, ugh. I'm sorry. These are both public schools I'm looking at.

Last edited by binip; 03/12/14 11:39 PM.
    P
    P
    Learning a second (or third or fourth) language is a great thing and learning grammar, reading and writing in a second language will be fascinating to a good percentage of gifted kids.

On the other hand maths and science that are below what you need are as boring in a second language as they were in your first language. Struggling to understand the teacher's explanation (or understanding it well in a second language) is not a substitute for an accelerated and enriched STEM programme.

B
    binip Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    " Struggling to understand the teacher's explanation (or understanding it well in a second language) is not a substitute for an accelerated and enriched STEM programme."

True, and that's why I started this thread.

I guess I just have to balance the likelihood that she will need to be almost exactly one or two grade levels ahead but not need individualized instruction, with the likelihood that even if she's really bright, she will be able to benefit from enrichment at home regardless of whether she's in immersion, regular classrooms, or a gifted program.

"On the other hand maths and science that are below what you need are as boring in a second language as they were in your first language."

Well, school's boring to most kids and that's a whole other can of worms.

The question of STEM enrichment is a big one, though. My guess is that the immersion school will have a lot of very bright kids and that they'll be able to go very deep and we can supplement that at home. At most it will be more work for me.

I
    I
    "Struggling to understand the teacher's explanation (or understanding it well in a second language) is not a substitute for an accelerated and enriched STEM programme."
    On the other hand, in the USA opportunities for native English speakers to learn a world language as children are rare. Families interested in supporting their children's interest to be bilingual/multilingual may find immersion programs to be their only option.

Some may say it is precisely the "struggle" that gifted children crave and thrive on, as it may provide a suitable intellectual "challenge" for them while they are learning to puzzle together the language. Once the language is mastered, they would benefit from appropriate curriculum and pacing.

the likelihood that even if she's really bright, she will be able to benefit from enrichment at home regardless of whether she's in immersion, regular classrooms, or a gifted program.
    Yes, all kids may benefit from enrichment at home: support from parents to learn and explore in the child's area(s) of interest.

At most it will be more work for me.
    Spoken with the freshness and anticipation of a parent at the beginning of the journey. laugh Yes, it can become rather bedraggling to keep up with a gifted kiddo. crazy

I believe your planning and careful consideration of the options will be very beneficial.

S
    S
    Howler karma sent you a pm

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    B
    binip Offline OP
    OP Offline
    B
    Spoken with the freshness and anticipation of a parent at the beginning of the journey. laugh Yes, it can become rather bedraggling to keep up with a gifted kiddo. crazy

I believe your planning and careful consideration of the options will be very beneficial.

Well... I am definitely a parent of young children and have a lot to learn, but I was thinking more of the PTSA commitments, which are crazy no matter how average one's child is.

I'm not too worried about keeping up with our kids. Since we do enrichment activities every weekend just for the heck of it, and we're consummate nerds, I don't think they are under-stimulated. They have daily opportunities to do things like make music boxes, write short computer code, write their own plays using playbills from the theater, use one of several musical instruments lying around, or do math worksheets in exchange for breakfast cereals. I write my own phonetic crosswords based on household themes and Bob Books for the little one, which she fills in herself.

This isn't something we had to think up. This stuff is all there because it is hour our homes were when we were growing up. This summer they are going to several art, science, and sport camps and I think they will really like it. It's not because they are smart. It's because *I* think those camps are worth the money, haha, and I'm not going to just save $50/week to stick them in the YMCA. No matter how smart you are, I don't think your brain should be left to rot.

Edited to add: that sounds insulting to the YMCA, which I know strives to create stimulating, enriched programs for every child, and which has a lot of amazing, incredibly bright young employees and volunteers. I didn't mean the YMCA in particular. I just mean that the overall enriched lifestyle I provide, I'd do even if I knew my child had an IQ of 80, or 100, or 115, or 150.

Last edited by binip; 03/13/14 10:24 AM.
    I
    I
    ... she's a kid with a peer reviewed publication under her belt already in STEM, etc. etc.
    Would you outline the steps in the process or point to a link with the resources, contacts, etc that a kiddo would need to have their research peer-reviewed and published? Thanks!

Originally Posted by indigo
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    ... she's a kid with a peer reviewed publication under her belt already in STEM, etc. etc.
    Would you outline the steps in the process or point to a link with the resources, contacts, etc that a kiddo would need to have their research peer-reviewed and published? Thanks!

"Peer-review" is embedded in the publication (and granting/funding) process in STEM.

As apm notes-- it's complicated in some ways and deceptively simple-seeming in others.

This is why my post is only going to offer two distinct steps-- which are going to be the most appropriate for any PG student, just as they are for graduate students who are ready to undertake serious research:

1. Work with a faculty member who is affiliated with a research institution or organization.

2. Be mentored in that setting.

Honestly, even PG kids aren't really in a position to DIY this one; there's too much to the process at the pro-level.

This is part of training in STEM-- being mentored about the way that the system works, that is. It's essential to make sure that you understand how the peer-review process works (or doesn't-- and when there are pitfalls, they may well only be obvious to those with significant savvy about that system within the particular niche/subdiscipline)-- and how to leverage that system to get funding to continue research. It's not really about the publications, so much-- it's about the fact that conducting research in STEM is generally quite an expensive proposition to begin with, and it has to be self-sustaining.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM