Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 270 guests, and 22 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    I should have worded that the reading expectation is (most likely) specific to schools with high scores in our area but I'm seeing that this trend is spreading and starting earlier.

The first parent-child preschool I tried out was refusing to "promote" a 4 year old to the next class because she didn't know the alphabet. I thought they were crazy. Apparently, the 4 year old class teacher expects all incoming students to know their letters. This was not a terribly exclusive or selective preschool.

I can go on and on but this drive to get children to read as early as possible is starting to really bother me.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Mana
    I can go on and on but this drive to get children to read as early as possible is starting to really bother me.

yes! It drives me crazy! They cannot force kids to read before they are actually ready for it! All it's doing is making kids frustrated and not want to go to school!

A
    A
    ITA with Mana and MK13.

Speaking to the article in the OP, I don't see the issue just as one of kindergarten being too "hard" or "easy", but also of its being totally inappropriate for the developmental needs of children as individuals. Childhood is a time of beauty, exploration and, above all, pleasure. (Truthfully, all of life is.) Imagine the wonder of everything being new and exciting, of feeling intrinsic motivation to discover, explore, and create. Children are, fundamentally, the agents of their own education. Interest motivates knowledge acquisition, as it should!

Contrast that with the modern practice of near total sensory deprivation in a sterile, small classroom. Students perform repetitive and meaningless sedentary busywork about material disconnected from its original context. They operate within a narrow, almost inbred, community, unrepresentative of the diversity of the general population, under the supervision of a stand-in steward whose self-interest is administratively divorced from their long term best interests. They learn to develop an external locus of control, as material is fed to them, not sought after. To top it off, all people of the same age are lumped into an amorphous group and expected to be homogeneous. Call me cynical, but it's a testament to the resilience of the human spirit that more children aren't driven mad by the ludicrous practices of modern education!

Who cares whether little Johnny reads at 2, 4, or 6, or can find the letter A on a chart? It's immaterial if the life lessons he learns at school suppress his capacity for original thought or enthusiasm to learn.

Sorry folks. Looks like I OD'd on my obnoxious soapbox pills tonight. Feel free to address any and all hate-mail to my PM inbox with the subject, "aquinas, shut up already." wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    In this article a kindergarten teacher attributes her resignation to kindergarten becoming too academic and standardized.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...bout-tests-and-data-not-children-i-quit/
    Kindergarten teacher: My job is now about tests and data — not children. I quit.
    BY VALERIE STRAUSS
    Washington Post
    March 23 at 11:30 am

I think some of the changes may be for the better, though, since I (and many other parents of gifted children) think Singapore Math is a good curriculum:

This school year, the Cambridge Public Schools Math Department announced that the math curriculum that had been used for years, with extensive training and professional development for teachers, is being replaced by a new math curriculum that is being toted as “more aligned with the Common Core.” This new math curriculum, called Singapore Math, is being brought into the system now, and the old TERC Investigations curriculum is being discarded. This is at a huge expense, and will require many hours of additional teacher time for training. Singapore Math is widely contested, with many having doubts about whether it is an improvement over the TERC curriculum.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM