Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 351 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    When he does feel safe, he is the happiest and sweetest child who really just overflows with enthusiasm for life and learning. Really a joy.

Can I just say that it's a treat to read you describing your son? This part just oozes love! It warms my heart. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    S
    S
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by SAHM
    When he does feel safe, he is the happiest and sweetest child who really just overflows with enthusiasm for life and learning. Really a joy.

Can I just say that it's a treat to read you describing your son? This part just oozes love! It warms my heart. smile

Thanks. It really is wonderful to be a part of his life. I always enjoy reading about your son's adventures. I am still amazed at everything you do. What an enriching journey!

Welcome Mommo! I remember those early days. smile Your DD sounds delightful. I remember those early days. It was very hard to talk with other parents and I found this forum a lovely oasis. One thing that I noticed is that I had started downplaying some of my kiddo's accomplishments, just so I didn't feel so awkward. When I realized that I did this in front of him (e.g., yes, he can read, but he still can't jump up on two feet), I stopped. My poor kid, having to hear that I think he isn't all that great. I would suggest, like others have, coming up with some stock phrases. I have said a zillions times, "Yes, he loves to read" or "yes, he loves books" and just left it at that when someone commented.

I wouldn't worry about what other people tell you you should be doing -- you know your kiddo. I say follow her lead as to what she wants to do. Give her opportunities like the zoo and science museum, children's museum, etc.

And feel free to write about all her accomplishments here. It can be hard when the other parents are looking at you like you are bragging. It is normal for a parent to tell everyone about what their kids are doing, but it's harder for parents with advanced kids. I went for the route of finding the few safe friends/relatives to brag to, or bragged here, instead of making things uncomfortable with others who couldn't help comparing their own kids.

ETA: I know a lot of people don't relate to Ruf's 5 Levels of Gifted, but parents of kids who do meet these early milestones can relate to a lot of the information and anecdotes in that book. I for one found it comforting to read stories about kids like mine. I felt less alone.

Last edited by st pauli girl; 02/14/14 01:22 PM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM