Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 368 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    DeeDee #182139 02/13/14 05:36 PM
    A
    A
    I'm interested to hear that Laurel Springs science isn't UC approved. I don't know much about them, but talked with them at one point while looking over options. I teach at the university level with a science PhD and get frustrated at the way certain things are taught that don't really reflect how science is done (it's like science education departments and scientists don't talk with each other enough).

I asked LS if I could modify the class at all if I wanted to add my own labs (because I have a university lab) or if I wanted to tweak the content. I was told definitely not because they have to keep UC approval.

I can understand if they think it would be stressful on the teacher and that the teacher needs to run the class, but it doesn't seem unreasonable to be able to discuss teaching approaches before choosing the class.

So I'll just teach my kids myself (and bring other kids in to enjoy experiments in the lab, etc.). I know we're fortunate to have these resources, but it frustrates me to see the options for kids to learn science.

Last edited by apm221; 02/13/14 05:42 PM.
    DeeDee #182151 02/13/14 06:20 PM
    From what I have been able to determine, NO virtual high school has UC a-g approved science coursework.

Of course, having seen some of those offerings, I can say with confidence; good for them.

Without a fairly involved (and well-educated parent) at the helm day to day, no way does the online science content meet "university prep" standards. In my opinion.

Maybe my standards are just too high-- but I feel the same way about it that the UC regents do, apparently.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM