Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 311 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    T
    T
    Total newb question: but where do you see her giftedness? 75 is above average, and was just wondering if this is a highly verbal and emotionally artistic child. Much of what is associated with math and high IQ, to me, is intuitive thinkers. They are fascinated by things, and how things work. But, intuitive feelers are fascinated by people, and how people work. An intuitive thinker is an awesome mathematician and scientist, and intuitive feeler is an amazing author and humanitarian. As far as the breakdown on IQ and personality type, NFs are just as high as NTs. Anyhow, if she is not doing well in math, perhaps it's because she is more interested in science and relationships with people, than science and relationships with things. That would be OK.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    I don't think it hurts to do additional testing, but FWIW, DD8 had a lower CogAT Quantitative, also. DD has also professed to "hate" math since 2nd grade frown . Our school uses EM. She had a 99% Composite on the CogAT, a very high verbal, a high nonverbal, but a quantitative score in the low 90s percentile range (a "C" profile with Q-).

My 2nd grade dd says she dislikes math and her school also uses EM. Her PRI on the WISC was 151. I think she'd like math more if it was a different curriculum.

C
    OP Offline
    C
    You hit the nail on the head with this, mountainmom. She's definitely a "intuitive feeler" and has always been very attuned to people and emotions. As a baby (starting around 8/9 months old) when we were out & about, if she saw or heard other kids crying, she would get very upset and direct my attention to it, almost like she wanted ME to help them. That was one of my first indications that I was gonna be in WAY over my head with her!

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I feel better about pursuing the testing, and will see what steps to take once that is done. All she's been doing so far in math is addition & subtraction facts, which are pretty boring and dry, so it's no surprise that she doesn't like that!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM