Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 311 guests, and 9 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Twinkiestwice
    a friend of mine is writing her thesis on blooms taxidermy
    Taxonomy? "[i]Not to be confused with taxidermy[/i]" (source: Wikipedia)

I
    I
    ... a two fingered typist who is a poor proof reader and doesn't watch for autocorrect
    and
    ... the hold up of implementing technology in to the classroom with the failure... being... teachers who for whatever reason can't learn to use it themselves.

There are many free online typing/keyboarding lessons. smile

D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    We have IPADs for all and now the teachers are in contact with the kids during off hours. I don't like it. I don't like them emailing my kids on snow days with assignments. I don't like them having due dates on the weekends via google drive. I think we need to teach our kids life balance and I don't like teachers making our kids accountable to them outside school.

Among other things, that is a HUGE red flag for safety risk. Are they cc:ing you on every email to your child?

Basic child protection rule: you can't leave an adult alone with a child not related to them. Private email between a non-family adult and a child is a serious no-no in my book.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    Most families these days, even those who are truly low income, do have a computer and internet access.

I don't think that's a reasonable assumption. In suburban areas, perhaps, but not generally. The figure I've seen recently is that 81% of adult Americans use the internet.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    Most families these days, even those who are truly low income, do have a computer and internet access.

I don't think that's a reasonable assumption. In suburban areas, perhaps, but not generally. The figure I've seen recently is that 81% of adult Americans use the internet.

you're correct. I was thinking more in terms of suburban areas. We are in a fairly "poor" area with many low income communities but from what I've noticed even those families have a computer and internet access. Have been gone from the big city for too long to take some of the other areas into account. But still ... it would make a lot more sense to me to have special funding for the lowest income families to provide those kids with a computer (any reasonably priced computer) than purchase Apple computers / iPads for every child in the district, especially when in couple years the technology will be in need of replacement.

T
    T
    I am more concerned because in my state we are moving to common core and all testing will be via computer. This is a huge disadvantage for kids who have no tablets at home. I would say that 40% of the parents at our school do not have email and email is available on smart phones. So a higher percentage of kids don't have a computer at home or internet access. Not sure how many have a touch screen tablet.

So kids who are very bright (and gifted) who do not have technology at home, are not going to score well on the tests and the tests are used as a screening tool before they test kids for the GATE program.

Our teachers use their smart boards all the time and I have not found them to be a waste.

We have a computer lab and all the kids get computer class once a week (and this is at great cost to the PTA because the school district pays for none of this) but the computers are 8 years old.

I would be thrilled if we could have a classroom set of tablets that could be shared within each grade.

We have equipment like digital microscopes but no computers to use with them anymore.

I also wish (so very much) that we could supply the students with e-readers (e-ink ones) to get to take home. If they could get e-books from the library at school and use the school internet access to check out e-books from the public library, it would definitely reduce the barrier to getting books that a lot of families have.

P
    P
    Here it is increasingly common for a tablet or laptop to be on the stationery list. Our principal was all keen on it last year at the meet the teacher meeting. I said that ds6 (then 5) couldn't be trusted with anything expensive and breakable so if the wanted him to use a tablet they could supply and deal with the results of their foolishness. I mean at that age they can't manage to get their shoes and lunchbox home two days in a row.

Originally Posted by Twinkiestwice
    This is an awesome discussion. We have the opposite issue in our school district. They actually cut out technology department. We now have to share a technology support person between two schools, and they are not readily available when needed.

We also are in a STEM school where there is a push to use technology, but the school doesn't seem to be familiar with how to use it. I now volunteer two days a week to maintain "scootpad" for three classrooms. I know this is a big step down from iPads. Our school isn't going to buy each kid an iPad. But, I became interested in promoting scootpad because it is lined with the core, and I have two sons with mild dysgraphia issues who detest writing out homework and it was a fight every evening. These children now have an option to do common core lined practice online, or their written work. My kids grades all went up with scootpad. But. And here is what's sad... The teachers believe and are probably correct in their assessment of what program is popular changes yearly. They have so little time to teach and implement everything that the kids need to learn, so they don't want to dedicate their time to learning a new program that lets the kids use technology to complete their work. And that's why I started volunteering. Because I was using the program over the summer break, and didn't mind setting it up for my kids classrooms.

I don't know how much this contributes to the conversation, except that a friend of mine is writing her thesis on blooms taxidermy and the hold up of implementing technology in to the classroom with the failure not being inability to learn, or even access to the technology, but teachers who for whatever reason can't learn to use it themselves. smirk

Well, I've stated my opinion rather bluntly elsewhere on this subject, but I'd be curious to know what anyone looking into the intersection of extant use of technology in classrooms with Bloom's Taxonomy is finding there.

Our experience (with Pearson) suggests that assessment writing is grossly incompetent with respect to Bloom's Taxonomy, which worries me greatly in any wide-spread, whole-sale (can't spell it correctly as it's apparently spam filtered) conversion to technology.

Of course, I'm also concerned about the same things that others have mentioned-- that this mostly seems to be the latest means of extracting cash from a taxpayer-supported school budget for the large corporations who have profit-motive behind the push to put mobile devices in EVERY student's hands.

Rumor has it that Pearson is phasing out of print materials. Think about that one.

Do others believe that too much is being spent on the technology without really thinking about if it is needed or how it will be used?

YES. It's being used rather haphazardly-- at best-- and without a clear NEED in most cases... in fact, without much in the way of evidence-based decision-making driving things at all. There simply isn't a lot of evidence. This would be akin (IMO) to the FDA and physicians promoting a BigPharmaCo pill for the common cold without requiring any clinical trials, and making decisions based on what is coming out of BigPharmaCo's marketing department and internally generated research reports. Nobody would think that was okay because of the profit-motive providing such an incentive to produce only highly biased (misleading) claims.

But we (meaning culturally, and certainly our schools) seem willing to swallow the lure without a second thought on technology in classrooms = "better" education. Does it? The answer is that nobody really knows.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 02/07/14 09:23 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Do others believe that too much is being spent on the technology without really thinking about if it is needed or how it will be used?

YES. It's being used rather haphazardly-- at best-- and without a clear NEED in most cases... in fact, without much in the way of evidence-based decision-making driving things at all. There simply isn't a lot of evidence.

My sixth-grader has an iPad that was furnished by the school. He uses it to check his homework assignments and for making videos for his classmates. For example, when they studied dinosaurs in science class, he made a presentation about dinosaurs (his idea; not homework). He also makes fun videos. Some of them are quite good. They use iPads English class (not sure about other classes; math --- definitely not). His English teacher told me she works hard to put it to use, but my recollection of what she told me is that they don't do anything with it that they couldn't have done on paper or on the white board.

DS is an aspiring animator. IMO, the sole meaningful use of his iPad is the videos --- and they're completely outside what the school might call academic use. Plus, could make them at home. However, I'll take the long view here and assume that there are kids who don't have electronic gadgets at home who find a way to develop a talent using the school's iPad.

I have an iPad. I use it for storing PDF files that I can read while away from home. This use is very specific and I thought about it long and hard before buying one (I have an Air, so it took me some years to decide I could use one). For my needs, the iPad is great. Plus I can play SpellTower on it (oh dear. blush )

Not sure this makes it all worth it for schools. Hundreds of millions of dollars are being poured in to these things, right?

If they were using PDF textbooks (ideally, chunked out into individual chapters), I'd be much more favorably disposed to the investment. This would save a lot of paper and reduce the weight of the backpacks my kids are forced to lug around. Obviously, the requirement here would be that the PDF doesn't expire or whatever (though I can see a security lock that blocks copying or sending it). You buy it, you own it.

Last edited by Val; 02/07/14 10:19 AM.
    We were told by what sounded like a fairly high up Pearson rep at the beginning of the school year (August) that Pearson would not produce any actual textbooks after 2016, so they are definitely going all out digital.

I was also told (in a hush, hush manner) that kids, like my kids, that just get it without necessarily being able to explain how they get it will probably not fair well on the Common Core assessments since everything wants you to explain how you came to that answer. The person that told me is educated more than most on CCSS and was telling me basically to give me a heads up so when things don't turn out the way we expect we understand why.

Does this concern me? Sure does! I have mentioned before and I'll say it again...I think the "idea" of Common Core could be a good one, but what I've seen so far is crap! The Pearson curriculum our district chose is a disaster and some of the CCSS standards are screwy. JMHO!

As a side note...I had a friend sit through a webinar the other day on stress for corrections officers. During this webinar they talked about an evaluation/assessment by Pearson that shows these officers can suffer from something similar to PTSD. Pearson is everywhere and has an answer for everything. Isn't there something about doing one thing very well vs. lots of things not so well.

Sorry for the rant. I'm done....for now.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM