Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    hmm, i'm not sure where this all took such a weird turn. i promise i'm not to force DD into anything, and i desperately hope i'm not imposing my weirdness on her - maybe i don't have enough distance to see it, but i hope i've been actively engaged in making sure DD has access and exposure to all sorts of reading material.

the OP was about finding funny, relatively dense literature for a 5 y/o who we recently discovered legitimately likes that kind of thing - it was about adding to her options, not restricting them. of course, along the way i have a few things to keep in mind - she's been through the wringer in the last 12 months and clawed her way back from a terrible depression, which was partly caused by being constantly told (by her teachers and librarians) that she couldn't/shouldn't read what interested her. those feelings are still quite fresh for her and i have to be overly careful not to compound that particular problem.

ha - Mana, that's so funny about Swimmy! (it's a favourite of mine, in spite of the massacre!)

we backed into HP accidentally - the series was sitting on a shelf in the living room, and DD asked me about it, so i explained the premise. even though we'd already read longer books like Wind in the Willows to her, if i'd thought we were anywhere close to HP stage, i'd probably have moved it somewhere else; i've done that with some other books since then. ahh, child-proofing!

so of course, DD immediately requested i read her some pages, which i did. it was enough for her that day - she said she just wanted to know what it was like, so no harm done (ha). then about a month later, the chickens came home to roost. she brought it out for us to read at bedtime and never looked back. we repeatedly made it clear we would stop at any time she felt it was too much. the first time through the series i censored a bit and answered any direct question she asked - so she knew in advance if characters would be ok (or if they wouldn't.) it never occurred to me that this would change her view of literature and cause all sorts of problems - she was clearly getting a LOT of joy out of it. her play changed, her artwork changed - she really bloomed in so many ways. it was the same when she found Terry Fox - it was like this whole new world opened for her that she connected to on quite a deep level. at the time, i kept thinking "how could this be bad?" even with the problems it may have given us, i'm not sorry about it.

we did (and continue to) have the most wonderful conversations about HP. everything from speculation about the "rules" of the magical world to weirdly sophisticated interpersonal issues. i was especially grateful for HP all last year with the bad school situation: DD had a boatload of friendship/bullying problems and we could talk about issues in terms of "that time that Ron... or Neville... or Mr. Malfoy" etc. it was an unexpectedly helpful shorthand for her. i know that all good literature works that way, i just happen to be specifically grateful to HP! smile

Zen - thanks so much for that recommendation! a character called "Ethan Cheeseman" sounds like a goldmine, if you ask me!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    C
    C
    Just a quick aside- I think "a Nother Whole Nother Story" is the second book (IIRC the first is just "a Whole Nother Story). We liked both, and there may be a third, but you might want to start with the first. They were favorites here and for quite a while nothing else measured up to their humor....

U
    U
    Sorry--I don't mean to suggest that you deny her books she wants to read! I don't do that here (although we're holding off on Harry POtter for DS5 for now--but he's not actively asking for it). I don't believe in that except in a very few cases. It sort of sounded like maybe she had the idea that kids' books were mostly not so great/she was past that and you were sort of willing to go ahead with that, is all. (There was the bit about her being likely to "skip it," which I thought of as "skipping kids' books.") And I thought maybe you might be kind of willing because you didn't read all that much fiction as a child, and might not be aware of all that is out there? (Much more than we were kids...) I could have that totally wrong, so correct at will. smile

D
    OP Offline
    D
    that is a great point about DD possibly feeling like kids books are terrible after last year - i really hadn't seen that connection and i'd be willing to bet you're bang on! but i *think* we might have stumbled on a fix for that with the Book Project... it's only three days old, but she's been reading a lot of her old picture books - quality stuff like Lionni, Lobel and Steig. so, fingers crossed!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    M
    M
    doubtfulguest, thank you for sharing. It's very helpful for me to know how HP came into your DD's life and it sounds like it's was at the right time for your DD. Our DD's emotional maturity when she is having her moment and her comprehension level are years apart. This is also a child until a few weeks ago thought dogs can read so she's obviously not exactly ready for HP. We told her she had to wait a few years (we're thinking 8) and she seems fine by the decision. I got her a HP lego minifig so she can at least play HP. wink

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM