Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #178403 01/01/14 09:10 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Wondering if anyone has any insight. Due to DS's anxiety disorder and physical disabilities, I am looking to opt my son out of state standardized testing next year when it starts for him in 3rd grade(planning ahead). I can't imagine him sitting through all that testing (I heard they totally stress the kids out about it too), the stress of the testing would be more than I care for him to have to manage. I have found that the state law allows parents and children the right to “opt out” of standardized tests based on religious or philosophical beliefs. I have to write a request to the school district superintendent. I understand that DS's academic record or class options/schedules would not be affected. Does anyone know for sure? Has anyone here done it?

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I'm sure this varies from school to school, district to district, and state to state. Where I live, if a parent opts out of state testing, the child's exam is given a zero and that score is counted. Since it's counted, it makes the district cranky when parents do this.

I'm guessing that parents who do this are labeled by the district as "problem" parents, and because of this, the district may be less than willing to accommodate other special requests (such as acceleration or differentiation) than it might otherwise be.

I do know that in our district state testing scores (along with other criteria) are used to decide who gets to take Algebra I in 7th grade. It would not surprise me if they used the scores for other placement decisions as well.

K
    K
    I don't know anyone who has opted out. However, it sounds like a good idea in your ds's case.

I've done what I could to minimize the affect of the craziness around the state tests. For instance, I've downplayed their importance. (Though, now in our state, they've become high stakes--they affect teachers' job security and kids who don't pass the 3rd grade reading EOG do not get promoted to 4th grade.) And I've kept ds home during the pep rally before the testing after the first one he experienced completely undid all the de-stressing I'd accomplished.

I will say that though ds doesn't like timed tests, they give plenty of time for the tests and he's never run out of time. However, it's a long test to endure (and now they have several) and with your ds's disabilities it could be painful.

And just to add to Kai's post, in our state the test scores are used to select kids for Duke Tip and the gifted program if they haven't already been identified.

Last edited by KADmom; 01/01/14 09:23 AM.
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by KADmom
    However, it's a long test to endure (and now they have several) and with your ds's disabilities it could be painful.

Yes, this is what I am concerned about ... This and the anxiety. Ds would do well (he really is far ahead in reading and math) - it's just the toll it would take on him would be a lot, at least at this young age. He's already in gifted. I'm not sure what DUKE Tip is?

I may delete this fact (I get nervous about school finding my posts sometimes) but I'll add, for now, I am in PA... If that helps

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Hmm so far it looks like in order to graduate HS in our district they need to take them... but DS's is only in 3rd grade. (I actually think/anticipate he'll be fine with them at an older age, I just don't want him to have to go through it in 3rd grade.)

S
    S
    We have practice state tests this year. They count for nothing, but they are given to students to get them "used to" doing the state tests.

So far, the state tests kind of count for nothing. They are not tied to the teacher's evaluation, they are not tied to funding, they don't go towards gifted program placement. If the school does very poorly as a whole, the school may lose it's charter. But that doesn't look very likely, as they compare to the surrounding public school district. Our school routinely does 20-30 points better than the surrounding district.

Of course, this may change. But I am planning to opt out of the practice tests this year. I also plan on opting out of all state tests until they start to count towards something tangible. So, DS7 will likely not take a state test here until the 7th-8th grade.

S
    S
    Been through the anxiety thing. We were homeschooling 3rd grade. He absolutely was not in the right place in third.

4th grade he was in school and there was some anxiety about it but he scored 3 and a 4 (out of 5,3 being proficient) and a 4 on the writing. But it was important to get that first one in. We had to go through one so that we could deal with it and survive and he was in a place that year to deal. If it had gone horribly wrong we would have known what to do better.

The next year he had 4s and a 5 (reading, math and science that year)....now he is in 8 th grade and he is a pro at them. Even got a perfect score in reading last year. He scoffs at how easy they are. But also his general anxiety has reduced to manageable levels...more like occasionally nervous rather than anxiety disordered.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    N
    N
    Irena, they no longer require PSSAs to graduate - it has gone to the Keystones (which is a huge mess). I have never heard of a kid opting out of the standardized testing. It is no big deal, though I hear that some districts try to make it a big deal.

I don't think that the testing really takes that long. My kids and most of their friends finished the testing in less than half the time given. Some teachers let them read when they finish early.

The plan with the Keystones was to have ten tests, and a student would need to pass at least six to graduate. They have had a tough time rolling out the tests, and there are only three available now - Algebra, Bio & English. DD Class of 2016 needs to pass those three, but I suspect that by the time your son (and my 4th grader) reach HS, the Keystone stuff will be figured out (or they'll revert to PSSAs).

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    It is no big deal, though I hear that some districts try to make it a big deal.

I hear they make it kind-of a big deal in my district. Haven't experienced it first hand yet myself though.

don't think that the testing really takes that long. My kids and most of their friends finished the testing in less than half the time given. Some teachers let them read when they finish early.

Hmm this is good to know. I know he's well above grade level in both reading an math so I know he'd probably do well... I just worry it would 'painful' physically and psychologically for him. However, maybe he'd be fine with it. It just seems like such an unnecessary thing to put him through.

K
    K
    Irena, they no longer require PSSAs to graduate - it has gone to the Keystones (which is a huge mess). I have never heard of a kid opting out of the standardized testing. It is no big deal, though I hear that some districts try to make it a big deal.

I don't think that the testing really takes that long. My kids and most of their friends finished the testing in less than half the time given. Some teachers let them read when they finish early.

The plan with the Keystones was to have ten tests, and a student would need to pass at least six to graduate. They have had a tough time rolling out the tests, and there are only three available now - Algebra, Bio & English. DD Class of 2016 needs to pass those three, but I suspect that by the time your son (and my 4th grader) reach HS, the Keystone stuff will be figured out (or they'll revert to PSSAs).

You're right. They give plenty of time for the test. I meant that ds was finished in half the time allotted and was not allowed to do anything but draw or rest his head when he was finished. So sitting there and being quiet for another hour or more was long.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM