Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    acs #18527 06/27/08 01:44 PM
    T
    T
    Hi Prissy -

Here in sunny FL as well. I read the entire thread and just wanted to comment. First, your initial statement summed up the state to a tee - each county is responsible for having a gifted program in place. There are generalized rules, and districts are savvy about manipulating them to accomodate at the bare minimum. Hello - one hour or one day a week is NOT gifted programming. There are a few districts who really do back up the program description and are gifted friendly. (sigh)
    What amazes me most is the shsh attitude when talking about the needs of our kids. Even with gifted-endorsed teachers I still get the eye rolls and deep breaths, along with you-have-Medusa's-head stare. Otherwise, it can be a lot of nodding, yessing and "oh, we know, we are certified, we differentiate for every child" answers that honestly, make me seethe.

Good luck with your private testing. I hope you find a tester with experience and understanding of gifted kids. DS was tested by the school/district and at his 1st EP mtg, the psych had trouble explaining the test results and then proceeded to ask us what goals to place on his EP. There's a whole 'nother post on that - wink

Despite the positives and the struggles we've experienced, I take each school year and 'start over' by meeting with the teacher, bringing my paperwork, and expressing my willingness to work with her to help my child. It is an ongoing process, to be sure his needs are met, until he is able to do so.

I wish you all the best~

P
    Prissy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Tygrlily, Thanks very much for your perspective. We've actually already accomplished the testing and I think we lucked out with a tester. She was highly recommended by my ped, another counselor and a close friend whose teeange DDs were both tested by her several years ago. She worked very hard to find out what we were trying to accomplish with this testing. She also saw right through my perfectionist DD's responses of "I don't know" and encouraged her to make a best guess.

I don't have the results back yet - probably early next week she said, but my decision was definitely validated by the tester's comments to me at the end of testing. She immediately asked if we had investigated the gifted magnet in the adjacent school district. She indicated verbally that DD6 hit the ceiling on several of the subtests. The tester also said that the discrepancies I noted on the RIAS administered by the school were probably related to that test administrator stopping with the "I don't know" responses.

As far as the district policies - in my district I'm not sure I'm going to be able to convince my school to comply with their own policies without causing significant trouble. Acceleration is still on our radar and after some research I turned up a district policy that specifically allows acceleration for gifted ed. plans. So I know the option is supposed to be open, but actually getting it accomplished is another thing entirely.

We are located in a relatively small town. As with many things in a small town, decisions to rock the boat too far can have long-lasting consequences. Trying to figure out costs and benefits of pushing the envelope are my current challenge.

Prissy
    P
    Prissy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Tygr, in response to your other comments - any specific info on which few districts are gifted friendly?

Did you do any further testing or were you able to work with what you had from the school? How did that go?

I appreciate the positive vibes. I am fortunate to be able to volunteer weekly at school for an hour or two, help out the teacher, and observe the classroom dynamic. I'm also able to contribute to classroom supplies and have enough flexibility through work to be able to volunteer for some of the special occasions (parties, plays, field trips, etc.). I make sure that my DD always has things at her interest level from home and I try to coordinate with the teacher to determine how she can use those things in the classroom without being disruptive.

We are also currently taking things one year at a time - several other posters on this board advise not looking much more than 6 months to a year ahead, since things change so fast. I hope that things continue to work well for you.

Prissy
    Prissy #18595 06/28/08 09:29 PM
    B
    B
    Prissy - could you pass on to me who you used for your testing? we have been trying to find someone that has experience with 2e children and the closest we could find that I was really impressed with was all the way in Kentucky - if we could afford the hotels for a week we would have already done it - there is no on in our area...thanks

Belle #18633 06/29/08 05:57 PM
    P
    Prissy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Sent you a PM - let me know if you need anything else.

Prissy
    Prissy #18634 06/29/08 06:08 PM
    Belle,

Did you check the Hoagies website for testers? (Please forgive me if I linked you to this page already. I've posted this a lot lately, so I'm afraid this might be a rerun for you!)

I don't know how the ones in FL are for 2E issues, but it's a starting point if you have none.

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/psychologists.htm

Best wishes, and I hope you find someone who can help you get a true read on your child.

Kriston
    T
    T
    Hey Prissy,

Congrats to you! Im really glad you found a good tester. Your remark about the RIAS score and 'I dont know' answers hit home once again. I understand that 1. the guidance counselors administering the screenings for gifted eligibility have little to no formal training or support in this area 2. are instructed specifically to stop the testing (on that subtest) if a child remarks incorrectly or with an I dont know. (the KBIT has specific words that are considered "correct" answers, only some of the ? have alternate answers that are acceptable)

Please let me stress this is dependent upon your district and their policies. Dade, Broward, Hernando, Duval, St Johns, all have gifted programs, however the effectiveness of those programs lies on individual experiences and perceptions. IMO because the state does not specify and enforce a cohesive program applicable across all districts, it is hit and miss for the children. Again, I want to stress there are teachers, administrators, and district gifted coordinators who work tirelessly to implement, support and maintain best practices, DESPITE limited funds and support from the state.

Have you visited NAGC website? There is a great advocacy toolkit there with specific info on how to work with your school/district.

I used research I found as well regarding the state's view of acceleration to approach it for DS in his school/district. Though initially defensive, we were successful in getting it accomplished via the Iowa Acceleration Scale - this may be used statewide, not sure. It took about 12-15 weeks and I'm not sure if thats because they didn't want to or it simply wasn't a priority.

We did not pursue further testing for two reasons. One, we can't afford it - 5 yrs ago the going rate for a private psych was around $500, I stopped checking. Two, my own personal bias against testing, testers, results and the follow-up has become cynical. Yes, I admit it. DH says I have champagne expectations in a beer can public school system. Not holding anything back now. wink
    We encourage DS in his interests, and try to teach study and organization skills. Currently, our challenge is keeping his desire to learn alive - despite a gifted curriculum, he simply is not engaged and I am afraid to push too much.

I just continue to research, read, and learn as much as I can about gifted, and have utilized my internet teachings to understand my child, as well as advocate for him as much as possible. I've had the opportunity to volunteer as well, and (here) as they go up in grade level, the less you are welcome in class.

Keep on Keepin' On! And keep your eyes on the FL Legislature. A Gifted Ed bill was introduced this yr, but was ignored. With enough support and encouragement from parents like you, it wont go quietly in the night. Hopefully if one gets through the House & Senate it will be comprehensive, well written and accessible no matter the size of the district.

~All my best,

And Happy Independence Day!!

P
    Prissy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Tygr, I appreciate the info about SDs. We got our test results, a little higher than I expected, but not way out there. Was nice to get some professional confirmation of some behavior issues - perfectionism as well as some attention issues that tend to aggravate the classroom situation. I have a few questions I'll probably post under the testing forum.

Thanks for the reference to NAGC - I'd seen that site before, but not dug in too deeply - I'll go back to it.

We will indeed keep on down this path. DD6 needs the intervention and I need to be prepared for DS3 coming up behind - at least he will get the benefit of my experience since I think we'll have similar issues. His issues will be blending and underachieving though rather than disruption, I think.

Prissy
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM