Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (hiker), 211 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    Blackcat - does you son have or qualify for an (personal) assistant in the classroom?

22B Offline
    Ridiculous. Scratch that school from your list right now.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by Expat Mama
    Blackcat - does you son have or qualify for an (personal) assistant in the classroom?

We have an IEP meeting today, actually, but they told me the most he would get would be 20 min. of pull-out OT per week.

C
    C
    Our old school (near Boston) used to have a lovely enrichment program for spelling and math for 4th, 5th, and 6th grades with wonderful (college-level) teachers. The year my DS was in 5th grade, the school explicitly (and proudly! in the principal's newsletter to parents!) redirected the funding for remedial education so that kids at the 20th percentile could have a shot at passing the MCAS (the state's annual NCLB test).

P
    P
    it is wrong for society to have 1% have 99% of the wealth. But it is not like our kids can really shed IQ points to improve the scores of the lower kids - though with enough effort it can be made to seem that way. Our kids should get to learn at school too.

Last edited by puffin; 11/21/13 11:57 AM.
    D
    D
    honestly, i think a lot of the resistance comes from the (false) assumption that gifted kids will be just fine without any intervention. i made that mistake myself when it came to DD5 - i literally thought, "well, she's fairly bright, so school should be a snap for her" (oh my, that was a rude awakening!)

of course, that doesn't explain why individual no-cost/low-cost interventions are such a giant wrangle, but it might explain the lack of political will.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    honestly, i think a lot of the resistance comes from the (false) assumption that gifted kids will be just fine without any intervention. i made that mistake myself when it came to DD5 - i literally thought, "well, she's fairly bright, so school should be a snap for her" (oh my, that was a rude awakening!)

of course, that doesn't explain why individual no-cost/low-cost interventions are such a giant wrangle, but it might explain the lack of political will.

I heard this a lot as a child. I thought therefore if I couldn't make school work it must be my fault - and later just that maybe I wasn't very bright (intellectually I knew I was but why was I always in the upper class in a composite - maybe all the other kids were better - one case where the absence of grades was a problem). So I just buried myself in a book and ignored school as much as I could.

But I still hear things like that and people saying send the kids who have a haelrder time academically to private schools not the bright ones who will do well anywhere.

In defence of my parents I think it did work for them. But schools in the 1950's early 1960's were more slanted towards academic success.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    delete

D
    D
    Originally Posted by puffin
    I heard this a lot as a child. I thought therefore if I couldn't make school work it must be my fault - and later just that maybe I wasn't very bright (intellectually I knew I was but why was I always in the upper class in a composite - maybe all the other kids were better - one case where the absence of grades was a problem). So I just buried myself in a book and ignored school as much as I could.

But I still hear things like that and people saying send the kids who have a haelrder time academically to private schools not the bright ones who will do well anywhere.

In defence of my parents I think it did work for them. But schools in the 1950's early 1960's were more slanted towards academic success.

ha, yeah - i didn't live up to my potential in school, either! my system was to do *just* enough to not have to explain myself to my parents. my parents themselves did fine with school - but then again, they also got multiple grade skips, and no questions asked.

fwiw, the private school we painstakingly picked (and SCRIMPED to afford) for DD didn't want to deal with her issues - they also thought she should just magically be a-ok, and they didn't care too much when she wasn't.

of course, 1/3 of her class got free speech therapy (which is awesome!) through the school - but DD got booted out of a math enrichment program that a teacher had specifically invited her to join. she fit in beautifully, but when the administration found out, it was all over: the sessions were 2+ grades above her "level" and she was suddenly persona non grata.

that was an excellent thing to have to explain to a 5 y/o who had finally found something good about school.

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 11/21/13 01:16 PM. Reason: include puffin's quote

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    I sent an email yesterday to DS's IEP manager saying we are wondering why DS is doing the first grade level math curriculum in school. I said that given his obviously advanced ability level, he should not be doing a prescribed curriculum and put into a box by the district. What could he accomplish in math if he was actually taught to his abilities? I said that we need to find creative ways for him to thrive academically in spite of his physical limitations (he has developmental coordination disorder and motor skills that are about 2 years behind). I wrote this deliberately knowing she will forward it to everyone on the IEP team including the principal and his teacher. No one has responded.

I also sent a note in with DS to his teacher this morning stating that DS will no longer be doing the first grade level math homework, since it is approx. 2.5 years below his level. I said that he prefers to do advanced math and will do that instead. I can't control what they make him do at school, but I can control what he does at home. What are they going to do? Report me to CPS because I'm not forcing him to do math that he mastered a long time ago?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM