Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 342 guests, and 29 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    N
    N
    My 10 year old 5th grader has been at a DRA level 80 since forever. His teacher tested him last week with the Scholastic thingy, and his lexile level is 1235. Don't think it'll make a great deal of difference with what goes on at school, but interesting to know smile

Last edited by NCPMom; 11/13/13 10:21 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by NCPMom
    ... DRA level 80 since forever. His teacher tested him last week with the Scholastic thingy, and his lexile level is 1235...
    Although he may have hit the ceiling as measured by DRA, his lexile level of 1235 has not hit the lexile ceiling of about 1800, therefore his lexile level may be expected to continue to grow. Here is a Lexile Find-A-Book website in case that may be helpful to you. (link)

K
    K
    I would ask the teacher about the discrepancy, specifically. It may be as far as she can take her within that classroom curriculum (the 70). But with a Lexile score that high, I would be concerned about appropriate content at that age, for sure.

Originally Posted by backatthebeach
    Could this be why my child's scores don't "match"? Her DRA is a 70 (7th grade?) and her Lexile is just under 1300. She is in 4th grade. Is her teacher perhaps just trying to keep her in more age-appropriate literature by stopping the DRA at 70?

S
    S
    This is why I was glad when DD's first grade teacher this year said that once they got past a certain letter (DD was at Q end of kindy I think), the distinctions didn't matter really; all the kids in the top reading group could read anything at all you put in front of them, but they were going to discuss books together to work on reading between the lines, looking at allusions, characterization, etc etc. I was worried we'd get the old "she's just decoding" line but really they do discussions dd can actually benefit from, as far as I can tell. (Of course it's still kinda boring typical elementary school books, but it's really hard to find good materials for this age and ability. Another year or two and DD will be able to read anything at all and catch the deeper meaning consistently, and then we can advocate for meatier books).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by millersb02 - 05/10/24 07:34 AM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM