Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17
    P
    P
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I
    (I have the feeling I am going to get pushback on this. Maybe it's just that we are not mathy.)

No pushback from me um, I am a total math geek but um, no way am I interested in factors at the dinner table lol! OTOH, I don't really enjoy using baking as a teachable math moment either... but that's just me smile

FWIW, we never really "taught" our kids any of the things they are uber-ahead at, they just picked them up through something that must be similar to osmosis (as well as possibly a lot of independent reading). We've also never really had anyone suggest that we've hot-housed our kids. The only parents I've known who seem to concerned that achievement in kids other than their own is related to hot-housing are... parents who are achievement-oriented and attempting to perhaps hot-house. That's been my personal experience both with academics and sports - and it usually drops back dramatically once you get past the early years of either elementary school or sports league - because all the outside "practice" in the world can't make up for differences in natural ability.

polarbear

22B Offline
    Mathematics is definitely casual conversation in our house.

D
    D
    wow, sorry - it wasn't pushback AT ALL - i was honestly poking fun at our family!

re: teachable moments... that's actually not even how we're approaching them - mostly it's just from natural situations like the fact that our sugar canister is narrow and can't accommodate the 1 c measuring cup. literally, that's why DD learned fractions - because she had to use the smaller cups to get in there.

sorry if i'm OT. (and that i'm so touchy on this point - i'm bowing out right now.)

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    S
    S
    The statement that anything in school is learning and at home is hot housing...

My response is then of course all the projects, dioramas, power points, posters, reports, science fair projects should be done AT SCHOOL because that is where the true learning takes place!!!!!!! Tired of doing those at home and would gladly throw those back on the teacher's plate and off of mine. I am even willing to send in shoe boxes and poster board and a bin full of crafty supplies.

(And especially those that have to be done in Spanish!)

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Mathematics is definitely casual conversation in our house.
    Ditto.

We "taught" logarithms to our 4 year old during dinner one night. It was more naming the concept and challenging his thinking on a concept he brought up. I place this more in the category of "feeding the monster" or "fanning the flames" than "hot housing."

In the same way, we discuss the books we read together. Am I hot housing reading comprehension by, say, putting a name to "foreshadowing"? The boundaries are often fuzzy.

Last edited by geofizz; 10/30/13 11:08 AM.
    E
    E
    I keep thinking about this thread. I feel in some ways gifted children hot house themselves or at least I feel my DD does anyway. She becomes obsessive about a topic and demands to learn more and more about it. I don't think it's hot housing if I provide the info that she's asking for.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    My response is then of course all the projects, dioramas, power points, posters, reports, science fair projects should be done AT SCHOOL because that is where the true learning takes place!!!!!!!

Aw, it won't take you that long. Thirty minutes, tops.

U
    U
    Oh, I wasn't offended or anything, doubtfulguest. No worries!

literally, that's why DD learned fractions - because she had to use the smaller cups to get in there.

Well...most kids would not know how to add fractions with different denominators from doing this. What they would learn was "I have to use the littler cup." Not saying you were hothousing, though. Combination of very bright child and parent who explains stuff.

B
    B
    A recent study found that smart children demand more stimulation.
    Quoting a commenter on Steve Sailer's blog
    http://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=9430835&postID=7167347658738183037

Tucker-Drob and Harden have published one such study. They had a sample of 650 MZ and DZ twin pairs for whom measures of cognitive ability and parental cognitive stimulation were available for ages 2 and 4.

They found that parental cognitive stimulation explained a substantial amount of children's cognitive ability differences at age 2 and 4, and that controlling for age-2 cognitive ability, differences in parental cognitive stimulation at age 2 explained a substantial amount of cognitive ability differences at age 4. So, parenting indeed appeared to boost intelligence.
    However, they also found that age-2 cognitive ability predicted the quality of parental cognitive stimulation provided at age 4, AND that this association was entirely mediated by genetic effects that affected both age-2 cognitive ability and age-4 cognitive stimulation. As they put it, this "suggests that parents adjust the level of cognitive stimulation that they provide in response to their children’s genetic predispositions for
    cognitive ability. In other words, genetic differences in early cognitive ability evoke differential levels of stimulation
    from parents."
    Here is the paper:

http://homepage.psy.utexas.edu/homepage/group/TuckerDrobLAB/website/pdf/Tucker-Drob%20&%20Harden%20(in%20press,%20Developmental%20Science)%20Reciprocal%20G-E%20Transactions.pdf
    Early childhood cognitive development and parental cognitive
    stimulation: evidence for reciprocal gene–environment transactions
    Elliot M. Tucker-Drob and K. Paige Harden
    Developmental Science (2011), pp 1–10

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I think a lot of this goes back to average folks on some level not liking smart people.

When we are at the zoo and my two year old points to a gibbon and says "Look Mama, a monkey" I will correct him and tell him it is an ape and go on to explain some differences.

If I get weird looks, so be it.

Page 5 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 16 17

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs