Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Mk13 #172879 10/27/13 11:54 AM
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    Could be! I remember when DS5.2 was younger and EVERYTHING he wanted was spelled out in exact numbers. It drove me crazy but I was happy he could count. Though I wasn't happy about having to do all the counting myself so he'd get the right number of hot dog pieces, chips, crackers, etc. smile

See, I used that to teach her subtraction... Lol.
    "Oh! 6 chips? I guess you'll have to eat 3!" Etc.

Now at 3.5 she's obsessed with patterns. She needs to declare her dinner pattern before she starts - "OK, fish, carrot, rice, rice, juice. That's my pattern."

She loves math in both the abstract and concrete senses smile

We don't use the rods (though I have to admit they seem interesting), we just use everyday things and situations - I doubt it would hurt to use them though - never know what interesting conclusions or lessons they'd learn with just some minimal guidance smile

E
    E
    We used the rods. I think I purchased them for DD when she was about 3 years old. At 2.5 she started counting coins up through 50 out of the blue and completely untaught. I introduced the rods as a dining room table toy. She took right to them. She caught on to their names right away, and it was a great way to show her how to measure things and compare. If she did not remember that the orange rod was a ten rod, she could measure them with one rods, or she could compare the orange rod to two five rods, etc.

I was actually quite surprised how intuitive it was for her. It was not to me, but I got the hang of it. She just played with them, making trains, patterns, and calling the 3 rods preschoolers, the 4 rods pre-Kers, the 5 rods kindergartners, etc.

When she started to add above ten, the rods were just amazing. She immediately manipulated them in such a way that made it easier for her to "see". For example, she could measure that an 8+7 was the same length as a 10+5, and she could break it down further as an 8+2+5. I think the rods are great for exploring and internalizing--not rote memorization.

I never really taught with them. They just stayed on the dining room table until they got cycled out for something else. She would play with them, and I might yell over to figure out 8+7.

They were great for my not very visual DD. It really helped her see things in concrete ways when she was more inclined to just memorize facts. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and fractions have been explored through these rods. It was just luck that I stumbled onto them. I am thoroughly happy that I did.

M
    M
    ellemenope, you just convinced me to buy the rods now, rather than later. DD still wants those beads; one of them is stuck behind the cup holder in the car and she notices it once in awhile and reminds me that I promised her to replace them. I found rods that are color coordinated with the beads. I think I'm getting more excited about these than I should be.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    I do remember the phase when for supper he'd ask for "one sausage, two potatoes, three tomatoes,...seven salads" and then do a running commentary through the meal...I think that was probably the manipulatives phase for him!

For DD, it was making numerical patterns with peas and carrots and making maze with spaghetti. I thought she was avoiding eating anything but mac'n cheese but maybe there was something more to it.

Mana #172903 10/27/13 07:21 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mana
    ellemenope, you just convinced me to buy the rods now, rather than later. DD still wants those beads; one of them is stuck behind the cup holder in the car and she notices it once in awhile and reminds me that I promised her to replace them. I found rods that are color coordinated with the beads. I think I'm getting more excited about these than I should be.

Haha! That was totally me with a balance and calibration weights for DS2's recent birthday. I like to think an excited parent motivates an engaged child. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Originally Posted by WiggleWiggleWoo
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I think I'll give the rods a miss. She already has regular wooden building block, duplo and pattern blocks. I think each of those lend themselves better to exploring/ playing/ discovering/ natural learning than the rods. Much of what I've seen about the cusinaire rods is about specific instruction and the comments here have confirmed that.

I'm interested in the comments that many of you said about not needing concrete representation of mathematical concepts and 'just knowing' them. I recently read a paper which found that for children who do understand abstract concepts, that physically representing them with rods etc can actually be limiting. I wish wish wish I had written it down - I have no idea where I read it now and I can't find it again.

If you find that paper let me know, it's exactly what I have been trying to explain to school about my DD!

I'm kicking myself that I didn't save it!

E
    E
    While touring preschools, I noticed my DS3 quickly gravitated to a container of Unifix cubes. I later purchased them along with a 1-10 stair, and it's amazing the number of ways he has used them - one time they were seeds that he planted, another time fruit salad, trains, etc. He also uses them to create patterns, and I recently observed him constructing math facts for 10 with the stair and happily talking to himself about "all the ways I can make 10". They are different from the Cuisenaire Rods you are considering, but you might find them of interest.

Yes, Unifix cubes got a lot more use at our house. They were used for building things, kinda like Legos, but also for making more salient concepts like arrays, area, circumference, fractions, word problems, patterns, etc. They were also used in pretend play, where they were sorted into different families or groups and "lived" in houses built by other unifix cubes. In my house they were used by all of my kids - two of whom are very mathy and one of whom definitely is not.

She thought she could, so she did.
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs