Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 203 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #16601 05/23/08 06:00 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I was reading the posts for the DYS application and I would like to ask for types of anecdoctal evidence. I am not applying to DYS, as DD is only 3 but Hunter said the application is heavily considered. I know many parents just answers the questions, but it is parental observation and anecdotes are big.

I told DH we have to start keeping a log, something we have not done. But I would appreciate any ideas so that we can try and remember some of the things early on, since we knew she was smart and more verbal but we were not thinking to use this info in applications for kindergarten.

Thanks, have a good holiday weekend everyone.

Ren

Wren #16603 05/23/08 06:12 AM
    Some things I have written down - don't know if they are good or not but it's things that made me go "hhhmmmm" lol. Knew sounds of all letters by 20months, spontaneously started doing simple addition at 2yrs (0+1, 1+2, 5-2, 3+2), read first book at 2yrs4mths, at 2.5 made a hexagon out of parallelogram, trapezoid and triangle and made a trapezoid as well and said (look it's a trapezoid!). At preK, teachers remarked how he was the only one to befriend a little boy on the autism spectrum and really brought him out of his shell. At 4.5 he said "if 60min are in 1hr, then 30min are in a half hour b/c 30 is half of 60). Recently at 5 he asked "if you need people to have babies, and you need babies to have people, how did people get here?", also he has now begun arguing semantics with me and twice he has been right lol.

For my older, at 4yrs old he made some really neat 3D structures out of M&D blocks that several people thought were striking. I took pictures and dated. The one that was really exceptional, i can't find a photo of. frown

I don't know if these things are what they are looking for but it's what I have written down.

Isa Offline
    One thing that makes me believe that DD is 'EG' rather than 'MG' (as her scores and academic achievement point now) is the fact the she started to separate fiction from reality at 2yr 2m. She told me 'you konw, real cats don't wear cloths or talk and sing'.

She as well started at the time to make remarks about 'Sint Nicolas' (Dutch version of Santa). She said that 'Sint is the time when Papa and Mama have hidden presents in the cabinet under the stairs'...

Isa #16611 05/23/08 06:50 AM
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks. I hope DH has better recall, as I was so sleep deprived for so long, the things that struck us are somewhat hazy. So it is good to get reminders that trigger ideas.

Ren

Wren #16688 05/23/08 11:16 AM
    Mia Offline
    One that I included:

One of KG's daily routines is to keep track of what time we�re supposed to be home, and exactly how late or early we are. For example, he�ll expect his step-father home at 5:00. When he walks through the door at 4:47, KG will glance at our digital clock and say, without missing a beat, �You�re 13 minutes early!� Conversely, to a parent who is meant to be home at 5:30 but arrives at 5:56, KG will accusatorily point out, �Mama, you�re 26 minutes late.�

Last edited by Mia; 05/23/08 12:20 PM.

Mia
    Mia #16693 05/23/08 12:11 PM
    Here is one from my DS5 application:

One day, a few months ago, DS informed me that he knew what 6 minus 8 equaled. I quickly corrected him and told him he needed to subtract the smaller number from the larger number. He quickly corrected me and told me that he could subtract 6 from 8. He told me the answer was negative 2. I asked him how he learned negative numbers and he replied �No one taught me, I just know it.� I quizzed all of our family members and his preschool teachers�No one has admitted to telling him that negative numbers even existed.

Over the next few weeks, DS made up and solved many problems that resulted in negative numbers. He even created his own number line on paper and taught himself how to add and subtract negative numbers. Problems such as -2 - (-8) = 6 are easily solved by DS. He even began to question me on how to multiply and divide negative numbers. He was able to learn the rules with one sitting. DS also concluded that since infinity is the largest number than negative infinity must be the smallest number.

Crisc
    I have to add another one of my favorites from our application:

One night last spring, after DS was sent to bed for the night, he emerged from his room and proudly announced that he was no longer mad that we didn�t allow him to stay up and watch the Boston Red Sox game on TV. He had learned that he could switch his clock radio to AM tuner and listen to the radio broadcast of the game. Since that night he always finds sports on his radio at bedtime to fall asleep to.

Last edited by crisc; 05/23/08 12:14 PM.

Crisc
    Crisc - both my sons did the same thing. For my oldest, about 4yrs old, I think he figured it out from looking at a thermometer and talking about temps below zero. For my youngest son also at 4yrs old, I'm not sure how he picked it up - perhaps listening to older brother and I talk or something. Amazing isn't it?

L
    L
    I think my son learned about negative numbers right before he turned 5 from older kids in his acting class. The older kids would sometimes bring their homework to work on during breaks.
    He could do double digit subtraction with negative numbers in his head at five and this was one of the things I included in our application to DYS. We had to submit a portfolio with WIAT scores because that was all we had and they asked us to send a writing sample in his own handwriting so we gave up on trying for a while. As a 2E child with motor dyspraxia he would have trouble with this so we decided to wait until he can take the Explore or ACT to see if he scores high enough to qualify, but that requires the ability to "color in the lines" quickly since you have to fill in the bubbles and that is something else that a lot of kids with motor dyspraxia are not so good at. I wish they had online versions of the Explore and ACT tests for 2E kids like mine.

I forget, Lori: is your DS already a DYS or not?

If not, you might consider video instead of the handwritten math to show his work. Film yourself rolling a die to create the problems to show that he didn't just memorize the list or something, and then film him figuring the answers.

I'd bet that seeing him doing the math is probably even better than having the math done in his handwriting (which always seemed a bit odd to me, since he could just as easily have copied your answers...).

Just a thought...

Kriston
    Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM