Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (Eagle Mum), 358 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    H
    H
    Yes absolutely! You are going to take to this like fish to water once you get going. I think you know that in your gut from what you have posted here and elsewhere. You'll have fun with it. It's a huge relief to have the weight of school and all its issues and requirements off our shoulders.

I was chatting with a friend who is newly home schooling today and we were talking about how it's like when our children were toddlers and we could just take our days as they came and use the natural learning moments of every day. The freedom to take a Museum day or explore something new in depth is so beautiful! smile

Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    like my mother always said, "beginnings are difficult!"

This is great.... and so very true about most things in life!

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks! I think it will be a great fit for us as well. DH wants me to incorporate a little bit of religion which I think I can turn that into some history/geography too.
    From what I've seen I really like a mix of waldorf, charlotte mason and traditional b&m stuff.

Has anyone heard or used Oak Meadow or earth schooling? DD is really into nature and animals, as well as coloring/drawing so it looks like it would be a nice fit but I am not very outdoorsy or earthy so I question the fit for me. She also likes kids yoga lol so that is an idea I have for PE.

Last edited by jholland1203; 10/16/13 05:53 PM.
    C
    C
    jholland, it took us quite a bit of time (5 weeks) to figure out what would work, making curriculum changes in a couple of subjects, deciding yes, we do want to do quizzes and texts in some subjects that we thought we would not, finding the appropriate grade level and speed to work. My DH and I tag team with my DD8. I have an excel spreadsheet with subject rows and day of the week column. I made a different sheet for each week for 18 weeks. I put everything combined on these and I went out a few weeks at a time so that if I have to make adjustments it is not an ardous task. Everything is written out. If it is something my husband needs to check and review, it is highlighted for him. We use the same basic schedule Mon-Thurs and Friday is the flex day that we use for a longer science experiment, creative writing, her history timeline notebook, or a make up day to catch up from a field trip.

In the morning, I do Math and Science (always an experiment) with her. Two days a week we do a Spanish workbook, the other days she does a Spanish learning game on the ipad. Then she works through her List on her own. She does her bible reading and scripture memorization. She has a world history reading, a chapter from a fiction book to read, she does a book with songs to learn geography. Then, she gets on the computer and does Spelling and plays Cato's Hike. By then, its is about 10:00/10:30 and she practices gymnastics until about noon, when her dad takes over. He does a book with her called Windows on the World, where you learn about a country and pray for the country and goes over Bible, he does US History- read and Q&A. They watch youtube videos. She reads a couple of pages out loud and Q&A on the fiction book chapter she read and then he does Language with her. They are usually done by 1:30/2:00. She plays on the ipad until time to pick up her siblings. On Wednesdays at 2, she goes to a homeschool art class at a neighbor's house. Anything that is unfinished gets done on Fridays.

She quickly got used to her list which makes it easy for us to send her to other family to do her work, if needed because she knows what to do. Then, we just check everything at the end of the day. Our evenings are now free for her gymnastics (7hrs per week) and other seasonal sport. The joy of homeschooling is the flexibility of time and schooling. She is in 3rd grade doing 5th grade Math, and the rest is a mix of 3rd and 4th grade work. Some is 4th grade but we are doing it a little slower. For science, she likes the Physical Sciences, so we bought a curriculum that is entirely physical sciences with simple experiments every day.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Portia
    ...I do not wake him up - he sleeps until his body wakes up...
    smile This is so important, but often overlooked.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM