Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 395 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by chay
    A couple more random thoughts that came as I was reading through the many excellent posts.

I ruptured my ear drum a few years ago. It took a couple months before my hearing returned and was an eye opening experience. About a week after it happened we went to a friend's place with about 20 people to hang out. It was unbearable. I was completely unable to focus enough on one conversation since there was so much background noise. We ended up leaving after about 30 min because I couldn't function. One on one wasn't a problem.

You had a question about if you would also see inconsistencies at home and in my experience - not necessarily (or at least not unless you know exactly what you're looking for). My DS was fine at home. He is very inquisitive and we talk about a LOT of things but all of his learning at home was aural or visual (in his case his strong suits). He is also able to pursue things of his own interest and at his own pace and this works great for him. Sitting in a classroom learning to count money for the third week in a row did now work for him. Compound onto that that he had to actually write out things and then things got really ugly. His specific LD is low processing speed and low working memory which for now mostly shows itself in his writing output. He's able to compensate for a lot of things with his other strengths so it isn't always obvious. I also have a friend who's DD is 2e and has managed to fly under the radar until grade 4. She was able to memorize books and use the pictures to fool the teachers into thinking she could read when she couldn't.

Anyway, there are a lot of reasons other than LD that might explain things (I'm just biased because of my experience). Hopefully you'll get some answers for her that will help you.

DD's infections are bizarre. She has always been asymptomatic and expresses no pain. When the ear drum burst she seemed fine. I stumbled upon it when doing her hair. Ped commented that she was shocked DD was letting her touch it as most kids would want to jump off the table.

Your post made me think of a comment made by the teacher in regards to a spelling test DD didn't do well on. She has been getting 12/12 on all pretests. I suggested that she speak directly to DD and not at a distance in case hearing is part of the problem right. Her response was that is not DD's issue she hears fine because she completed work earlier in the day just fine. Following with DD is in first grade and unlike K there is more students (4 more to be exact) and there isn't an aid. She said she can't do one on one. She is here to help not entertain.

Last edited by jholland1203; 10/04/13 01:41 PM.
    Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by jholland1203
    Her response was that is not DD's issue she hears fine because she completed work earlier in the day just fine.

Your daughter is so lucky to have a practicing medical doctor as her teacher!

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Her comment about her being there to help and not entertain, besides being untrue: she's there to teach and at that age, half of teaching is holding their attention (entertaining them),

you may be able to "trick" her into stating that she can't meet your dd's needs. If you can get it in writing, and get it on the principal's computer/desk, you have grounds for asking for a new teacher.

For example, if you state dd has hearing loss and does not hear well with background noise or where she can't see the face, or whatever, and teacher says, she hears just fine, push her hard to say what she cannot do and why (while leading her with your gentle and understanding questioning that gives her comfort in stating your dd is a lazy good for nuthin who needs nothing but a kick in the butt). Then send a sympathetic email that you understand how hard her job is with all the kids and you are sorry that your dd has the hearing impairment that is increasing the burden further. And repeat back exactly what you got her to say so it's documented in the email. Then, you take your hearing test and the results of your eval, and make sure the recommendations are clearly stated. Give the email that states that the teacher is unable to provide the accommodations to the principal alongside the stated needs, so it's all there in black and white.

YES, I did this. You have to have a stomach for leading the teacher into the trap, but it works. You have a vulnerable teacher who seems willing to say politically incorrect things. You can exploit that to get what you need for your dd.

I am not above tricking her into saying what exactly is on her mind. And you are right that she does say politically incorrect things. She also appears oblivious that she does it. I was floored that she acted the way she did at the meeting in front of others. Luckily, I had to go alone and kept my cool and allowed her to act unprofessionally. I wanted the counselors and assistant principal to see how she treats parents and their concerns. Had DH been there the meeting would have gone very bad because he would've told her how he felt and then left.

Based off what you said I will weed through the emails because I may already have something. I have a very long back and forth of emails, one of which I replied with sympathy about the difficulties it must be to have DD disrupting her and other children. Maybe something is in there that I missed and she already did say in not so many words she can't help DD.

I will admit that I am one that doesn't like to rock the boat, so it is a little hard learning to advocate. DH is more than willing to rock more than one boat so I'm lucky to have him on my side smile

P
    P
    jholland, can you call your ped today and get a drs note re the punctured ear drum? While I would continue on with your eval and advocating just as you are - I also think that in this case, with a drs note, you should at least try to go to the school nurse (if there is one) and ask that your dd have accommodations until it heals. This is just one little thing you should be able to do today (or tomorrow lol). Many times schools will write up what is called a "Health Plan" for children who have medical issues but aren't on either 504 plans or IEPs to cover either temporary conditions or conditions that are permanent or long-lasting but the school feels the child doesn't need the protection (or paperwork) involved with a 504 plan. It's not what your dd needs long term, but it may be at least something to start with right away to get something like preferential seating etc.

You might also call your school district's 504 coordinator (if you haven't already) and discuss what's going on with the coordinator and ask how they would recommend proceeding for a child who has a hearing issue caused by a ruptured ear drum. This isn't the end-all of your advocating - you'll still proceed with your eval etc, just fact-finding and possibly a route to getting something done sooner. I really feel for your dd in a classroom situation where she might not be hearing everything.

Just a thought -

polarbear

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    jholland, can you call your ped today and get a drs note re the punctured ear drum? While I would continue on with your eval and advocating just as you are - I also think that in this case, with a drs note, you should at least try to go to the school nurse (if there is one) and ask that your dd have accommodations until it heals. This is just one little thing you should be able to do today (or tomorrow lol). Many times schools will write up what is called a "Health Plan" for children who have medical issues but aren't on either 504 plans or IEPs to cover either temporary conditions or conditions that are permanent or long-lasting but the school feels the child doesn't need the protection (or paperwork) involved with a 504 plan. It's not what your dd needs long term, but it may be at least something to start with right away to get something like preferential seating etc.

You might also call your school district's 504 coordinator (if you haven't already) and discuss what's going on with the coordinator and ask how they would recommend proceeding for a child who has a hearing issue caused by a ruptured ear drum. This isn't the end-all of your advocating - you'll still proceed with your eval etc, just fact-finding and possibly a route to getting something done sooner. I really feel for your dd in a classroom situation where she might not be hearing everything.

Just a thought -

polarbear

I have a call in to the Children's Hospital to get the paperwork that states the hearing loss. Ped office I will be calling tomorrow and picking it up.

J
    OP Offline
    J
    Here is the email I thought I could possibly present for a reason to switch teachers. This was in response to me asking for details on one of DD's really bad days where she is suppose to contact me and didn't. DD had a pink day (the lowest color they can get. Pink stands for parent contact)

"I am still having a major issue with her not following rules. She is out of her seat constantly roaming the room and when she is at her seat, she is talking across the table and across the room, hindering the others from getting their work done. She is a sweet girl, but her behavior has made it difficult for me to teach my lessons. It wouldn’t make a difference if I moved her to another seat. The same issues happen. She will talk to anyone that will listen. I will ask her nicely to go back to her seat and while the sentence isn’t even off my lips, she continues to walk."

I will ask her nicely to go back to her seat and while the sentence isn’t even off my lips, she continues to walk."

Err - is she sure that your DD heard her? Does she know how hard it is to track someone's voice in the midst of a lot of other background noise when you have a hearing impediment?

No to both of the above, I am sure.

Last edited by madeinuk; 10/04/13 03:44 PM.

Become what you are
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs