Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 381 guests, and 30 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Again, we'll see. But I was placing faith in the hope that school culture (the fact there is a GT magnet in the school for older children) would work in our favor, and I believe we are seeing that here.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Bless her heart, she is really trying. She's seeded the library box with high-level picture books (this is fine--DS still likes picture books) and is sending home different homework for him. I think she is giving him as much first-grade work as she can. Will it be enough? I don't know, but I am so pleased to have a teacher who is proactive and responsive. DS seems to be relatively happy with school right now.

D
    D
    Oh, lovely. Surely as she gets to know him it will all continue in this direction....

DeeDee

G
    G
    Ultra, I've encountered enough fabulous teachers for it to reinstill my faith in public education. May this teacher be one of those.

If your kid is like mine,my caution would be against doing anything that looks like your child is being asked to do more because of his level. My kids tend to view that as punishment for being smart. This goes 10000 fold for anything that's writing.

My approach for out-of-the-box accommodation requests are for the material/instruction be something that a child wouldn't get in school otherwise. I've gotten some creative accommodations by asking that the teacher give my kid "that stuff that you wish you could teach kids but don't have the time. Here, we've got time? What would you love to do?". DD got some great comparitive history projects and poetry assignments last year (5th grade) and DS has done some pretty cool mathy projects. In each case, the teacher modified the instructions of an existing assignment such that it wasn't much more work for the teacher and it didn't look like extra work to my kids.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Fortunately, he is just super psyched to learn--not a kid who wants to sit back. He's kind of a teacher's dream, other than some perfectionist, emotional tendencies and occasional overfocus on fairness and rules (sound familiar, anyone??) The one thing he is not quite so eager about is writing, yes--but on the other hand, he is writing a long story at home of his own volition, which I am pleased about! He has a great role model in his sister, who tends to sit around and write little plays, letters, and songs for fun.

U
    OP Offline
    U
    Things have been relatively quiet and DS5 is seeming relatively well differentiated. But yesterday I got some pushback on school that looked depressingly familiar. I sent him to school with the chapter book he'd been reading (he wanted to stay home and read) and emailed his teacher about his requests for harder writing work. (Yes, my kindergartener asked for harder writing work. I KNOW.)

She immediately wrote back and said "Of course he can read that book during class--let's get him set up with a writing journal--I can pick him up some things at the teacher supply store for him--and I'm talking to the other teachers this morning about some more writing ideas for him."

We may need to clone her.

M
    M
    That's great! She seems to really get it.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Things have been relatively quiet and DS5 is seeming relatively well differentiated. But yesterday I got some pushback on school that looked depressingly familiar. I sent him to school with the chapter book he'd been reading (he wanted to stay home and read) and emailed his teacher about his requests for harder writing work. (Yes, my kindergartener asked for harder writing work. I KNOW.)

She immediately wrote back and said "Of course he can read that book during class--let's get him set up with a writing journal--I can pick him up some things at the teacher supply store for him--and I'm talking to the other teachers this morning about some more writing ideas for him."

We may need to clone her.

I think this is where you tell her exactly that. Or, better yet, have your son write a quick note to her stating how much this means to him as one of his assignments. So nice to read this thread, ultramarina! smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    L
    L
    So happy for you and your DS!!!

Yes, please clone her and send our way. My DS needs some of what you are describing. wink

U
    OP Offline
    U
    I have definitely told her many times how great I think she is. I may have mentioned earlier that she was apparently mentored closely by an older teacher with a strong interest in gifted education. What luck for us!

DS was so happy when he came home that he got his own special journal to write in.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM