Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    X
    X
    You make me optimistic. Friday Myson had a Big tantrum at the Library, Everybody( other mommies were there for the Lego activities) looked at us,I feel that we are kind of alien to them. When I went to Wilson School on saturday, My son got Happy .Today When He said in his own way,He wants to go that kind of school.I feel upset.It was so rough to me to hear that. He will normal just once a week and just for 45 minutes.
    In the public school He is attending, his teacher took everything he played from his hand. I realized that He is playing with his teeth now.All the time He is putting his hands in his mouth.This week I have a meeting with them. we will see what will happen smile.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by xsantos
    You make me optimistic.
    smile

... tantrum
    Sorry to hear this. Have you identified his triggers (bored, frustrated, HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired, etc)? Might there be 2e issues?

Also, remember that there is a distinction between temper tantrums and meltdowns (which are caused by being overwhelmed). The causes are different, and the approaches to resolving them also differ.

... normal just once a week and just for 45 minutes.
    Be aware the weekend enrichment program may differ considerably from the regular classes. Meanwhile, if you find that keeping him mentally occupied is the key, there are many resources for afterchooling at home, including online resources, many of which are free.

In the public school He is attending, his teacher took everything he played from his hand. I realized that He is playing with his teeth now.All the time He is putting his hands in his mouth. This week I have a meeting with them. we will see what will happen smile.
    You may wish to prepare for the meeting by reading up on characteristics of giftedness, triggers, 2e, etc. This may help you gauge what the teacher has observed, and may also help you request appropriate next steps (testing, differentiation, cluster grouping with others of similar readiness and ability, etc)

This may be obvious, but have you talked with your son about his behavior... is it something which he is able to control... or which he may be coached to be able to control? While many children may fidget, then naturally calm down when they are mentally occupied, this is different than knowing that throwing a tantrum will manipulate adults into giving them whatever they demand.

X
    X
    2E I am not sure about that.He cant be Asberg, ADHD. He is not Autistic.I was scared he may have disleksia but He began reading early and He is reading and writing in two languages. He may have mild sensory disorder or because he is so stubborn and smart he behaves like that.(while I am writing this pargraf, he came to kiss me and ask momy why are you frowning. I said what. Momy you are frowning. your face like that:(. tell me the reason mommy).He is definetly not Asberg and Autistic. I have to read more about 2E.
    When He got tantrum in the Library.I asked him why you behaved like that. He said we shared the Lego booklet, and I was behind myfriend and it made me upset( when he is doing Lego, I am the one giving him to the pieces he needs. He doesnt to like find them, He said it is waste of time. However I always think that it is because his gross motor development is not good at his other developments). He has a very competitive personality. He always trys to win.
    In the classroom, He said everything is easy and boring. Because of that He is not listenning but playing the way He liked. in my oppinnion , He doesnt like to write because He is spending so much time not to write backward. He doens't like math because of the numbers he can write backward, When He has pencil in his hand he is using it as a plane.when teacher took his pencil from his hand, I suspect he began to play with his fingers and after he began to play his mouth. When I talk to him about his behaviours. He usaally looks me very serious face and says 'Momy I am doing my best", or "momy I am trying very hard"
    My son's cousin was playing like that,my sister in love said we called it fiss fiss genes.
    The weeekend class I watched him during the lesson. He didnt play with anything. He concentrated well and focused well but It was science class he likes the most and They dont have to write during to class .Emre has a good memory about the subject he likes.
    I am trying to understand him, but It isnt easy.
    Today, after the breakfast talk. We got upset and tried to make him happy.He played with tangram puzzles and finished all.My husband made elektro magnetic experiments with him. After 3 pm we went to B and Noble. He played with Lego and prapared presantation with them to teach me earth layer ,gazer.......I took him video during to presantation because he is talking fast. Then He read a book to me about weathers and He complaint that the book is easy and he has already know the subject. After that, as a prise I read a book he choosed, a very thick book about the global warming. He got very scared and begged to me stop reading. i finished to book anyway because last part was about the solutions.We came home he played magnets and made more things with them, ate dinner, watch 30 minutes magic school bus , brushed his teeth and went to bed with a book(National Geographic Angry birds) he choosed.He was upset because we refused to read a book to him (as a negotiation he has to read a book instead of every book we read).
    He made us too tired .
    After school , He comes home very tired and stresfull. He wants to watch cartoons and not to see any homework Which includes everythings he didnt do with his clasmates. He is not doing any paper at school so teacher sent them at home frown. I say to him plese My son makes them at school so we can have time at home.
    Dear Indigo, you are my biggest helpper:). Thank you for your answers

Last edited by xsantos; 10/07/13 03:52 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM