Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 105 guests, and 31 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    G
    GGG Offline
    G
    DS 2.5 years
    Shows:
    Word World on hulu plus (which has no commercials for the kids shows
    Wonderpets
    Little Bill

Books
    A Children's Dictionary (this one is hard for me to get into, haha, oh the boredom).
    The Skeleton Inside Me
    My Amazing Body

Apps
    Starfall
    iStory
    SuperWhy (from PBS show)

We used to read The Gruffalo and watch the movie and compare them. We would recite the story, make puppets, basically exploring the entire story. Such a great book/movie!

I wish youtube would moderate commercials (rated R movie trailers before kid's videos?!!! So frustrating!), otherwise, we'd watch a lot more short videos on new topics of interest.

There is a website called commonsensemedia.org that reviews media for age appropriateness.

Thanks for sharing all of these suggestions!

DS3 loves books more than toys, so we have quite a growing collection. I am attracted to books with beautiful / unusual illustrations because it keeps me from getting bored.

Here's my list of faves from when DS was about 2-2.5:

-Anything by Jim Arnosky (Every Autumn Comes the Bear, Rabbits and Raindrops, Otters Under Water, etc)
    -The Cat at Night, and Hardscrapple Harvest by Dahlov Ipcar
    -Margaret Wise Brown is a solid Author, we've liked: Home for a Bunny, The Golden Egg Book, Sneakers the Seaside Cat
    -It's Winter, It's Spring, and It's Fall by Linda Glaser
    -The Mitten (the version by Alvin Tresselt is the very best)
    -Kitten's First Full Moon and Old Bear by Kevin Henkes
    -Red are the Apples by Marc Harshman
    -We're Going on a Bear Hunt by Micheal Rosen
    -Roadwork by Sally Sutton
    -A Book of Sleep by Il Sung Na
    -A Penguin Story by Antoinette Portis
    -A Tree is Nice by Janice May Udry
    -Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car by Eileen Christelow
    -The Wind Blew, and Goodnight Owl by Pat Hutchins
    -The Giant Jam Sandwich by John Vernon Lord
    -Corderoy by Don Freeman
    -Feather's for Lunch by Lois Ehlert
    -Harry the Dirty Dog by Gene Zion
    -Turtle Splash by Cathryn Farwell
    -My Heart is like a Zoo by Micheal Hall
    -Inch by Inch by Leo Lionni
    -My Many Colored Days by Dr. Suess

Here are some more advanced books we've added since DS was about 2.5:
    -Mike Mulligan and More: 4 Classic Stories by Virginia Lee Burton
    -Septimus Bean by Janet Quin-Karkin
    -Too Many Pumpkins by Linda White
    -The Runaway Pumpkin by Kevin Lewis
    -Make Way for Ducklings, Blueberries for Sal, Lentil, and One Morning in Maine by Robert McCloskey
    -Where Do They Go When it Rains by Gerda Muller
    -Jack's Garden by Henry Cole
    -Paddington by Michael Bond
    -Charlie the Ranch Dog by Ree Drummond
    -Frog and Toad are Friends by Arnold Lobel
    -When I was Young in the Mountains by Cynthia Rylant (I skip the page with the dead snake :D)
    -Papa Piccolo by Carol Talley
    -The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Gray Bridge by Hildegarde Swift (DS loves the youtube video about the real little red lighthouse up in NYC)
    -The Tomten by Astrid Lindgren (This book is a little out there for some people... If you buy this, it is imperative that you get an import copy, as the US printings are low quality. Mine is a used Hardcover, Import, January 1, 1992 from Amazon.)
    -Owl Moon by Jane Yolen

Last edited by Space_Cadet; 11/23/13 09:24 AM.
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Thanks GGG and Space_Cadet for your additions! smile

It's amazing how many of your favourite titles are on our bookshelf now for DS2, Space_Cadet. Good children's literature really is universal in its appeal.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Thanks GGG and Space_Cadet for your additions! smile

It's amazing how many of your favourite titles are on our bookshelf now for DS2, Space_Cadet. Good children's literature really is universal in its appeal.

Cool! We've really liked your suggestions for "Zin, Zin, Zin a Violin" and "A Dark Dark Tale". And we're going to pick up "Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site" for DS1.5 for Christmas. Despite the fact that we are swimming in books, I always look forward to a new one!

You know, I often give books as birthday presents and I have gotten the distinct impression that this is puzzling to many parents. Like, they already have a book or two for bedtime, so why would they need any more books? This is so foreign to me... I mean, I realize that most 2 year olds do not like books marked for K-1st graders. But I just assumed that, whatever their comprehension level, most kids liked to be read to throughout the day. confused

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    Cool! We've really liked your suggestions for "Zin, Zin, Zin a Violin" and "A Dark Dark Tale". And we're going to pick up "Goodnight, Goodnight Construction Site" for DS1.5 for Christmas. Despite the fact that we are swimming in books, I always look forward to a new one!

Oh, I'm so glad the list has been helpful! I am a self-avowed children's literature addict, so I'm always delighted to find like-minded parents.

ITA your disconnect with other parents. We get some strange looks from other parents when we bring a grocery shopping cart to the library to pick up dozens of new books every week. My thinking is: why not? My son gets so excited to read new books and seems to treasure each one. Books are such a wonderful portal to other places, people, cultures, ideas...

I see I'm due for an update on this thread!

C
    C
    ITA your disconnect with other parents. We get some strange looks from other parents when we bring a grocery shopping cart to the library to pick up dozens of new books every week.

LOL, aquinas. We bring a big blue tote. (We call is our "big blue bag of books") That thing gets heavy!

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    ITA your disconnect with other parents. We get some strange looks from other parents when we bring a grocery shopping cart to the library to pick up dozens of new books every week.

LOL, aquinas. We bring a big blue tote. (We call is our "big blue bag of books") That thing gets heavy!

I'll bet, Marnie! I've relied on wheels for ages.

I'm quite a sight: wiggly 2-year-old strapped to me in a carrier, 40-liter grocery cart full of borrowed books in tow, sunglasses usually falling off face, wallet spilling coins and cards everywhere. Oh dear.

That's such a funny image. laugh

Sadly, our library is rubbish. I usually end up buying books online... And hoping that I've done enough research to avoid buying a clunker. So, yeah, keep those recommendations coming! smile

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Marnie

I'll bet, Marnie! I've relied on wheels for ages.

I'm quite a sight: wiggly 2-year-old strapped to me in a carrier, 40-liter grocery cart full of borrowed books in tow, sunglasses usually falling off face, wallet spilling coins and cards everywhere. Oh dear.

Ha! Me too! Carrier and all! Toddler Tula at that age, preschool Kinderpack sometimes now. The Kinderpack is a big help in a crowded museum with displays at adult level.

Another thing I would add to the list is a good map. DS has loved his large wall map of the world and his globe beach ball since he was 2. We still look at them daily. He recently got a puzzle of the United States where the pieces are shaped like the states. It is a big hit too, but he would have mangled the small cardboard pieces or been frustrated that the states don't snap together six months ago .

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Space_Cadet
    Sadly, our library is rubbish. I usually end up buying books online...

That is really unfortunate yet great at the same time. You'll end up building a beautiful library for your child(ren). DD rarely reads the same book twice these days so we have stopped paying retail for books and pick up used books for 25 cents to a dollar so we have an eclectic library that is not really very reflective of DD's taste. So the books we buy online for her are the rare "chosen" ones that DD wants to borrow from the library over and over again. Here are some in our new book collection:

What Really Happened to Humpty Dumpty

- It's a clever book and if your DC is a fan of Mother Goose rhymes, it's a must have.

The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore

- DD adores the short film and the book equally. It could just be that she loves Humpty Dumpty but it's a beautiful story and perfect for those of us who love books.

Pluto's Secret: An Icy World's Tale of Discovery

- This was recommended on this board and it has become a favorite.

The Day the Crayons Quit

- I don't get this book and don't understand why it's so popular but DD has read it over and over.

Rocket Writes a Story

- It goes through the process of writing in a very authentic way. I love the end and DD was much more interested in this book than in How Rocket Learned to Read.

Ben's Trumpet

- One of DD's earliest favorites. Walmart has it listed for $4.42 including a CD.

24m to 36m was the peak period for jigsaw puzzles for DD. These days, she is back to doing art, practicing handwriting, crafting, dancing, practicing music, and generally having fun being her crazy self.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM