Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 206 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    MyModalert, miappaa, Brooklyn, hellotoyou, polles
    11,456 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    So, this week, finally our Montessori inspired homeschool is officially open. Dd 3.9 has named it The Wise Owl School. I just wanted to share some notes from my experience with this project in the hopes that others might get something out of it. So here it goes.
    First things first, costs. I reused old ikea storage units- put them horizontally instead of vertically:$0. New Toysrus Lipper table and 2 chairs, real wood $107. Bookcase target $30. Regarding materials, I bought them over a course of 4 months. Total spend: about $700. I did not want to buy materials with limited use. I wanted open ended materials that can be used any number of ways. So here is what I have:
    Science section
    Funnel, test tubes, prism, rainbow maker, magnifying glass, magnets- lots of different types, thermometer, flower press, toy cars, kaleidoscope, binoculars, Jacobs ladder, lots of tops, slinky, 2-way radio that works, balance, compass, jenga
    Math section
    Measuring cups, scale, protractor, measuring tape, bullseye compass, clock real analog and toy, timer, hourglass timers, tangrams, shapes puzzle, set game, marbles, color stone beads- lots of them, magnetic numbers. Lots of cool wooden puzzles, building models, wooden blocks, mechanix set, and games like chineses checkers, mancala ( real wood one with shell beads). Awaiting a wooden ten base material including unit cubes, ten bars, hundred squares and a thousand cube, multiplication chart, division chartfrom and hundreds board from Alison's Montessori.
    Geography
    A us map ravensburger puzzle, 2 large maps- us and world. Awaiting globe.
    Language
    Bananagrams, junior boggle, word tiles, stencils, movable alphabet, writing materials, pop sight word game, tons of books at all reading levels including non fiction, poetry and classics.
    Music
    Xylophone, harmonica, cymbals, traditional African musical instruments,etc
    Lots of cool and beautiful items for decoration and utility including glass jars, sea shell candles- home made, stones of different textures, music box, trays and rugs.
    Places I shopped
    Childrens museum gift stores, parent teacher store, ikea, target, michaels, Alison Montessori, amazon, consignment shops, local stores that support artists.
    Okay, got to go. Will add more as I think of stuff. Will also post pictures.
    Ps. I forgot to mention that we have lots of stuff for arts and crafts including paints, crayons, chalks, watercolor, pastels, clay, stamping stuff, different types of paper, etc but none of that stuff is in the homeschool room because it gets pretty messy. The family room is her art studio.

Last edited by Lovemydd; 08/15/13 07:48 PM.
    A
    A
    That sounds like a remarkable set-up! I have a serious case of homeschool envy. wink

I can imagine your DD will get lots of mileage out of the carefully selected media. She'll be able to do a lot of experimentation and open-ended learning. If I can make one recommendation, it's to buy a large set of snap circuits, maybe for Christmas. DS already loves his, and I can imagine your DD would get even more enjoyment out of them with her more mature thinking.

Beautifully done! Thank you so much for sharing! smile

Last edited by aquinas; 08/15/13 08:22 PM. Reason: Autocorrect correction

What is to give light must endure burning.
    L
    OP Offline
    L
    Aquinas, thanks. The snap circuit things looks super cool- gotta have it.

That looks like a really comprehensive and delightful list, LMdd!!

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Awesome!
    I'm (slowly) in the process of converting our toy room into a homeschooling room and I have a feeling I'll be coming back to this list....
    smile
    Good work!

L
    OP Offline
    L
    Thanks, hk. Lilmisssunshine, glad you find the list helpful. I am happy to share further ideas. Pm me if you would like.

G
    G
    How great! My kids both had the change to attend a beautifully prepared Montessori preschool and it sounds like yours rivals theirs. smile It sounds really wonderful.

A
    A
    That's lovely! It has excellent natural light, which makes it a cheerful space. As a <1,000 sqft urban condo-dweller, I officially have a homeschool room crush.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Lovemydd, thank you for sharing your list and pictures. smile

I am so impressed that you were able to accomplished this on a relatively modest budget. I don't want tho think about how much we've spent revamping her playroom only for her to grow out of it in a few months.

L
    L
    I'm almost finished with our room. I'll post pictures too. smile

Love your room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM
    Mom in hell, please help
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:00 PM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by indigo - 06/06/24 05:58 AM
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM