Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 404 guests, and 26 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Finally-- a QUIZ! About our CLASS! (Sometimes this is related to class structure, sometimes it covers formatting assignments, etc.)

Yes! That. DS had to take a quiz and had to mark "True" for "There is no such thing as a mathy mind."

moomin #165131 08/22/13 02:37 PM
    C
    C
    well of course there is no such thing as a "mathy mind" because we all are gifted with unlimited potential to do anything. Right?

I suppose they are just trying to encourage the child who is intimidated by math but it is rather silly. Telling me that there is no natural athletic ability does not suddenly make it possible for me to run a marathon in 2 hours no matter how long or hard I trained.

Anyway, I do like Ametrine's answer about "she likes to learn new things" although it amuses me because the question and answer seem to make sense on the surface but in reality they have nothing to do with each other and I haven't really answered the question at all.

I love Master of None's answer "not yet" but I don't want to sound terribly negative and have teacher start off defensive. She might just be concerned but she might be put off.

My DD only enjoyed her 30 min of "choice time" daily when she did art projects on her own. She learned nothing. She took months to make friends. BUT she didn't hate it either, she just didn't like it and it was a huge let down from her high expectations. Funny, now that she is anxious about 1st grade, she is looking back on kindergarten and saying she did like it. But in the moment, she sure didn't.

I sent the teacher an email to see if I can meet with her for a few minutes tomorrow so hopefully I can keep my answers short and explain more in person. I don't really want to put all my concerns on her little questionaire and call it good.

moomin #165135 08/22/13 03:41 PM
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by moomin
    I repeatedly intervened and said, "Some things will feel fun, others will feel terrible. The trick is to enjoy the fun parts and try to remain calm and patient during the terrible parts."

Gosh, not my approach at all! Believe me, I know from DS's experiences that the "terrible" will come, but while DD is little and still enthusiastic, I'm definitely not telling her to keep looking for it. The longer she doesn't notice it the better IMO - we'll deal with it when it comes and not before. Cos that's kind of a downer.

moomin #165141 08/22/13 04:09 PM
    D
    D
    That went badly...

DD was very happy, right up until snack. She then decided that the teacher's "you only get one item from your lunch during snack time" rule was unfair... so she started to yell about it.

The teacher put her in the "Bad Girl" chair, and announced to the class that DD was a bad girl.

Then *&^$ got real.

DD ripped off her name tag (tearing her shirt) and threw it onto the teacher's desk, insisting that she was quitting Kindergarten and that they should call her father (me) to come get her.

The teacher refused and sent her back to the chair.

DD threw the chair across the room and demanded to speak with the principal.

The principal was called and intervened, and DD tearfully explained her complaints and explained that Kindergarten just wasn't going to work out.

The principal, interrupted DD and sent her back to the classroom. DD yelled, that it wasn't polite to interrupt people, and refused to go back...

... By which time the rest of the class was coming outside for lunch/recess. DD refused to participate, opting instead to stand there and try to explain her gripes to the teacher and principal who studiously ignored her.

Finally another teacher came over to ask a question, was button-holed by DD, who spent the rest of recess explaining her dissatisfaction with the entire administrative hierarchy of the campus.

At the end of lunch DD returned to the classroom, and behaved admirably for the rest of the day. The entire freak-out lasted 45 minutes (out of a five and a half hour school day).

At the end of the day DD greeted me with a big smile and told me how much fun she had at school.

The teacher looked pale and wan. The day had aged her.

The bad girl chair? Are you flipping kidding me?

moomin #165145 08/22/13 04:35 PM
    M
    M
    DS5 ... today was his 2nd day in Kindergarten. He wants to go back to preschool because preschool was a lot more fun. He used to tell me what he did in preschool every day. Now ... I got nothing ... two days, and I got NO info from him. Other than he was upset yesterday because the kids went to gym and he didn't (I'm assuming a misunderstanding because of his asthma. He's supposed to have gym but limited activity and needs his backpack with inhaler to go with them just in case). And we also got one of those "get to know your child better" questionnaires. One of the questions was ... Does your child recognize numbers to 12? ... so I crossed it out and put in 100 (he can do more but I figured I'd ease in the teacher carefully :)). Then there was a question How high can your child count? ... my answer was "I don't know". I truly don't know. I know he can do addition to 20 (with about 90% accuracy) but no clue how high he can count? Then if he can recognize upper case and lower case letters. Oy! I'm glad he came to this world couple weeks early and made it before the cut off so he doesn't have to wait another year to be bored in Kindergarten! But at least he can't read yet so he DOES have big things to learn. I just hope I'm wrong with my suspicion of Dyslexia / Dysgraphia.

But there IS one positive. The school ended up opening one more Kindergarten class (they are all just half days) because the original classes were too big and I volunteered him to be switched to the new class and for now there's just SIX kids! So, fingers crossed, I'm hoping to see some unofficial differentiation once the teacher gets to know him ... I hope smile

moomin #165146 08/22/13 04:46 PM
    D
    D
    The teacher put her in the "Bad Girl" chair, and announced to the class that DD was a bad girl.

Then *&^$ got real.

Moomin, you said you and DW really wanted DD in this school. Was that because of the language program?

I think I'd be shopping in other districts and programs if I were you.

DeeDee

moomin #165152 08/22/13 06:00 PM
    M
    M
    The BAD GIRL CHAIR? I have no words.

moomin #165154 08/22/13 06:20 PM
    M
    M
    Forgot to mention ... I had a dream last night, that DS5 got kicked out of Kindergarten! What an awesome dream to have after just ONE day of school? All I remember from the dream was me trying to explain to the school officials that "it's not immaturity! It's natural curiosity!" ... I still think we'll end up homeschooling! I can't take this! lol

moomin #165157 08/22/13 07:05 PM
    A
    A
    Moomin, I commend your daughter for her indignation and adroit moving up the chain of command to express her dissatisfaction. I hope that you won't allow that fool of a teacher and the principal to treat your child so disrespectfully.

A "bad girl chair"?! Maybe day 2 is "dunce cap throwback day" and the administrators will be sporting fancy new hats.

MK, I don't think it takes Freud to interpret that dream! wink I dream (literally) of homeschooling DS in kindergarten, so I feel you.

Last edited by aquinas; 08/22/13 07:27 PM. Reason: Toning down hyperbole

What is to give light must endure burning.
    moomin #165158 08/22/13 07:11 PM
    M
    M
    we went to the Kindergarten orientation before school started and while the other 20 kids were just standing there, looking around, holding onto their parents, DS5 was running around, checking things out, while talking nonstop, while trying to see if he could sneak out into the office and check out their huge copier and possibly take it apart to see how it works. I was like an ostrich trying to hide my head in the sand but there was no escaping his nuttiness! lol ... oh, and he had so many questions for the teachers and just couldn't understand why she didn't have time to discuss with him what's in that box in the corner that has the picture of a key on it and "no, really? These are all books? That is AMAZING!" ... and he went on and on and on. I just don't see how they can calm him down. It seems to be 10 times worse than it was last year in preschool!

Last edited by Mk13; 08/22/13 07:14 PM.
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs