Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 132 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Raida Maisa, ns261, daypey, ickexultant, LilyKroger
    11,495 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi
    Wasn't sure where to put this question but I guess it really doesn't matter. DS 7 asynchrony is in reading, comprehension and science mainly. He is advanced in other areas but its not his interest necessarily. He is scary advanced in science in terms of the things he remembers, comprehends, the links he makes, and the theories he articulates supporting or rejecting.

We are doing math over the summer as part of his writing. Its nice because he doesn't seem to equate math with writing, even though you have to write. Anyhow,I have noticed that while he has read way ahead in math via the murderous maths, he doesn't seem to have the same level of depth of understanding that comes naturally in science. He definitely is better in math theory than math facts - still likes the fingers sometimes.

Since a lot of the next levels of science for him require more math, I thought we would be doing more in that area, but it doesn't seem like he is ready to accelerate more than the year he is already. Yet he loves codes and stuff. Not sure what I am actually asking just finding it weird that I am contemplating getting him Stephen Hawkings book, but he is getting frustrated with clock math problems.

So i guess i am wondering for those btdt - are your sciencey kids also naturally mathy people or are your mathy kids also naturally sciency.

If not how did it impact their interests?

DeHe .

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    DS6 is quite ahead with maths and LOVES science, which he has done well with at school. He is particularly fond of astronomy and the periodic table. This has been recent (the past year), and even more recent is his love of hands-on science experiments in labs, and weather.

Your DS's experience in math sounds a lot like mine. When I was seven, I hated math. I used to shove my paper into my desk, incomplete. When the teacher noticed I hadn't turned in my paper, I folded my arms and told her I hadn't done it. The problem was all about calculations, which can be extraordinarily boring. It's all repetitive and procedural. For an intuitive, concept-oriented brain, there's no reward, because there's nothing new in it.

It got better later, when Algebra and Geometry happened. I have a trophy for being the most outstanding math student in my junior high, and two others for math competitions.

DeHe Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    , but basically, she makes up stuff to explain things and doesn't care what the actual truth is. Like that people have one stomach for solids and a separate one for liquids. Yes, she has been told, but she just forgets.

So, I'd have to say this anecdote does not support, and I'll comment that it probably depends on the particular area of science.

Lol, I like that! Now if you could close off the one stomach dieting would be much easier!!!

Dude's point about repetition and boredom is always relevant, I tried to find more interesting math problems, like bedtime math, and DS seems to like it, until he gets stuck and then he gets very mulish about it. He doesn't seem to have an interest in experimenting to solve it. But it also might be his personality.

I just can't wrap my head around how incredibly intuitive and advanced he is on really complicated science and then watching him having to re figure out stuff it seems like he should have memorized so that its automatic. But I do suspect that he on some level chooses to not memorize the math facts. I sort of suspect that he will prove to be very good in math, but just not the same as in science

DeHe

Z
    Z
    DS7 is pretty far out in math and loves it and does it alot. He really enjoys science ideas and video content, but he doesn't pursue deeper knowledge or understanding in it (yet?) Though he does randomly return to a periodic table fascination.

P
    P
    I'm a scientist and I love math as well as science. My first that is that yr ds is still quite young. I remember first getting excited about math when we started Algebra -that's where we first started seeing how math can solve real world semi-challenging problems. I also remember that math just got Moore and more fun once I was taking science classes that really required upper level math, especially physics.

I wouldn't worry about whether or not yes likes or is exceptionally gifted in math at this age - I'd still follow his lead with science and studying the things that interest him smile and bring the math in where you need to!

Best wishes,

polarbear

Originally Posted by DeHe
    I just can't wrap my head around how incredibly intuitive and advanced he is on really complicated science and then watching him having to re figure out stuff it seems like he should have memorized so that its automatic. But I do suspect that he on some level chooses to not memorize the math facts. I sort of suspect that he will prove to be very good in math, but just not the same as in science

I suspect that once he does get to that point where it's automatic, he'll stop resisting so much, and his interest and ability will take off. That's what we saw with my DD8 (whose mind operates much like mine does). She was working on calculating area and perimeter in her G/T class by counting boxes, and she found it as outrageous as I found a page of 5-column subtraction problems at her age. We pulled her out and homeschooled her, and one of the first things to happen in math was memorization of the multiplication tables. She resisted, and she hated the process. As that was progressing, DW was introducing new concepts that relied on those, like long division and adding/subtracting fractions with uncommon denominators. Because she had already mastered whatever multiplication values DW used in sample exercises at that particular time, DD breezed through the calculation parts, and found herself excited about math. She now declares it her favorite subject.

For a kid like this, it might also be helpful to get away from memorizing single-digit addition and subtraction, and instead give him a simple algorithm he can use to figure it out. For example, 8 + 7... 8 is only two away from ten, move the two over from the 7, and you have five left.

Personally, I hate the term "math facts," because there are a great many facts in math that have nothing to do with simple addition and multiplication. Also, when you switch out of base 10, the "math facts" change.

22B Offline
    Just be aware that some sciences, especially physics, but also chemistry and biology, have math prerequisites, so if you are planning acceleration in science you need to get the course sequence and prerequisites figured out somewhat in advance.

DS is more mathy but also loves science.

G
    G
    DH is higly gifted and his main area of achievement has always been science. He's an MD now. However, I still have to figure out the tip when we go out to eat because he just does not like math. He obviously uses math when he works- figuring out dosages of meds. But outside the realm of science he doesn't enjoy it at all. I, on the other hand, would happily do algebra and calculus all day but walking into a science lab always made me feel dizzy and nauseated with dread. I don't think loving or being gifted at one necessarily means the same will be true of the other.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by master of none
    If it's math facts, I think that's developmental. Around 7 is the earliest I see kids memorize math facts. My dd took an interest at that age. My ds the dysgraphic also started to be able to memorize math facts at 7, though he didn't have him mastered til about 11 due to his LD. I'm sure there is variability, but at least here, it was a developmental thing.
    Variability: I just checked my notes and DS was still 5 when he got Timez Attack-obsessed and cemented all his tables. That's one kid, but fwiw, schools here routinely have kids memorising their addition facts from 4. I don't say it's wise, and I certainly don't say that a kid who isn't ready then necessarily has a problem, but it clearly isn't impractical as a general expectation or it wouldn't be one.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Please help me understand child results
    by millersb02 - 09/05/24 08:03 AM
    Advice for profoundly gifted and imaginative 7yo?
    by Kim Jensen (DK) - 08/16/24 11:31 PM
    Senior in High School - next steps
    by aeh - 08/14/24 04:01 PM
    help understanding wppsi scores
    by lululo4321 - 08/09/24 08:09 PM