Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 250 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    What do you think of potential Common Core impact on educational experiences for gifted students? Here are some links I have been looking at, one is from Common Core (including the appendices and specific curriculum) and one is a summary & analysis by a well-known advocacy group for homeschool rights in the USA.
    http://www.corestandards.org/
    https://www.hslda.org/commoncore/Analysis.aspx#FAQ

I would say that there are many valid criticisms of Common Core, but HSLDA seems to prefer the other kind.

Problem #1 with CC:
    "Progressive educator John Dewey argued for standardized curriculum to prevent one student from becoming superior to others and envisioned a workforce filled with people of “politically and socially correct attitudes” who would respond to orders without question."

Problem #2 with CC:
    "Relativism’s influence on the Common Core is evident in the open-ended and research-based assessment questions and the expansive new student tracking systems, ideas which have been strongly promoted by relativist Howard Gardner."

I actually saw Howard Gardner at one of his presentations a couple of months ago and asked him some questions on how passion, open source, and learning will/should figure in education. He didn't have much of a response. Well, he's a bit dated imo. You need passion or emotions to remain engaged and motivated in learning. This is a HUGE problem with education today.

Problem #3, #4, and more with CC:
    Common Core was developed based on business and policy wonks. There's little in terms of digital citizenship or global citizenship. American exceptionalism still reigns. I'm a former history teacher/professor and I'm not saying that it's not worthwhile to learn about US History. What I am saying is that digital technology has changed the parameters in our worldview and this should be reflected in any school curriculum. At the moment, I am not convinced this is the case with CC.

Common Core was also developed with the fallacy that America needs to ensure everyone is college-ready or prepare everyone for a college education. This is foolish for many, many reasons.

"The Common Core standards require students to master a checklist of skills every year." That's dumb. That assumes every student is on the same trajectory and develops at the same rate as everyone else. This is totally false. What happens to the late bloomer who doesn't read by 2nd grade or what happens to the advanced learner who is reading college textbooks by 2nd grade?

"The final argument—standardization—hinges on the premise that one textbook, or just a few aligned with the Common Core, would be an improvement over the numerous and varied textbooks available today. " - Um, yea. Don't get me started on standardization or textbooks. How about those high school history textbooks that are written at a 5th grade level? Do they remain with CC or do they get finally ditched?

But like I said, there are many reasons why I don't think CC will be beneficial for most children.

Originally Posted by cdfox
    Problem #1 with CC:
    "Progressive educator John Dewey argued for standardized curriculum to prevent one student from becoming superior to others and envisioned a workforce filled with people of “politically and socially correct attitudes” who would respond to orders without question."

That's a good example of the "other kind" of criticism. For starters, Common Core isn't a curriculum.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Dude
    I would say that there are many valid criticisms of Common Core, but HSLDA seems to prefer the other kind.

I would agree with Dude. Our state had grade level standards before, and those will be replaced by CC. Updating standards from time to time does not have to be a nefarious conspiracy. Some state standards had been set deliberately low to help the state meet NCLB benchmarks.

The superintendent in our district says that the new standards raise the bar, and projects that higher expectations for students due to CC will lead to better performance. At the same time, she is on the record as saying that raising the *baseline* for expectations does not mean leaving behind students who are already beyond the levels set by CC.

I think in some areas, CC will be applied with a generous dose of common sense, and the outcomes will be positive, and in other areas it will be used in ways it was probably not intended, i.e., to hold back advanced learners.

Last edited by amylou; 07/31/13 09:20 AM.
    If they just changed the name to 'minimal core' then I would be fine with it because it would then be getting called what it is or at least should be. In some states, the standards were so low that this has forced them to get better while here in NJ it has been a disaster because it has lowered the standard.

If it was a declaration of the absolute minimum skills that a kid ought to have by the end of each grade then it would be marvelous because a lot of sub par schools would be exposed for short changing kids. I would support it as this 100% because it would then implicitly allow schools io strive for more than just the minimum.

The sad truth is that it is being touted as 'everything a kid should know by the end of each grade' which acts as a ceiling on what schools, let alone kids, end up achieving.

Can you hear that flushing sound?

Last edited by madeinuk; 07/31/13 09:29 AM.

Become what you are
    Originally Posted by Dude

Agreed.

And What MadeinUK said, too--

only that flushing sound that was referred to? I couldn't hear that over the noise of the giant SUCKING sound that my state's standards have been creating for the past decade. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Agree with all. HSLDA has their own agenda.

MA standards are/were higher than CC. Then again, MA doesn't mandate gifted education and it's got no intention of doing so either. That's two giant SUCKING sounds, possibly three! Do I have to mention what colleges/universities or private, exclusive boarding schools are located in this fine Commonwealth?

NCLB is really a re-hash of the furor from the Sputnik era and A Nation At Risk study which came out in '83 under Reagan. It seems we're stuck in a reactionary, political mode with education. Wonder when the wheels will ever change.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Dude,

I am confused by your assertion that Common Core isn't a curriculum, as this seems to be in conflict with statements on the website found at the link http://www.commoncore.org/, such as
    - "The Common Core Curriculum Maps in ELA"
    - "The Alexandria Plan... allows you to teach history again."
    - Press Release "Louisiana... recommends Common Core Math Curriculum."
    - The presence of a "curriculum" tab on their webpage located at the link http://commoncore.org/maps/history

What impacts are anticipated for gifted students?

"

A
    A
    Originally Posted by indigo
    I am confused by your assertion that Common Core isn't a curriculum, as this seems to be in conflict with statements on the website found at the link http://www.commoncore.org/, such as
    - "The Common Core Curriculum Maps in ELA"
    - "The Alexandria Plan... allows you to teach history again."
    - Press Release "Louisiana... recommends Common Core Math Curriculum."
    - The presence of a "curriculum" tab on their webpage located at the link http://commoncore.org/maps/history

The Common Core standards can be found at:
    http://www.corestandards.org
    The link you gave seems to be a different group creating curriculum aligned to the standards. But the standards do not dictate that this or any other particular curriculum must be used. It is only the standards that are being adopted at the state level - at least in my state, curriculum are selected by individual districts.

Last edited by amylou; 07/31/13 10:50 AM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM