Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 285 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    garg, sciOly123, arnav, Advocato, Tee
    11,461 Registered Users
    June
    S M T W T F S
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    A
    ashley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A

Val Offline
    My understanding is that they're heavy on homework there and possibly rigid about every child being gifted. I could be wrong there; maybe it was Stratford that says that every child is gifted. But they both have high homework loads.

Harker is expensive and super-intensive but good for gifties. But my understanding from a fair number of parents (6 or more) and one student my son's age is that it's very, very intensive. The student's stories put my son off it completely and a parent told me that you have to accept that Harker is your life. Her kid was in the middle school at the time.

Sent you a PM.

A
    ashley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A

Val Offline
    Yes, Harker also doesn't guarantee sibling admissions, either.

Have you looked through Bay Area Parent? They always have a ton of school listings.

But you're correct that school options for gifties are limited around here. It's weird, given the environment.

K
    K
    My husband went to a Helios open house a few months ago and came back with glowing reports. It sounds like their curriculum is based on unit studies and is very kid driven. I was so excited until he told me the tuition. frown

Have you checked out the Berkeley Parents Network (http://parents.berkeley.edu/) for school recs?

A
    ashley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ashley
    Beyond that, there are other "second tier" schools that pile up academics in the place of all round development. Then there are schools with religious affiliation which I am not looking at.
    What seems to work for all the gifted families in my area is to get their children into afterschool programs that cater to gifted kids and thereby make up for the things lacking in their schooling.

Well...I wouldn't call my kids' school, which I mentioned in a PM, "second tier." frown IMO, that's not really a nice thing to say, and it also isn't true. We've done day camps at different private schools around here and have friends whose kids attend them, and we've been impressed with what we've seen, especially in terms of extra non-academic activities.

And also IMO, I don't see the need to stratify private schools around here. We've seen the results of that in NYC and with colleges. One of the things I like best about this area is that we have, literally, dozens of K-8 private schools. Admissions mania is decidedly lacking (until high school, but there are middle college options for high schoolers). All the schools cater to different types of students. Everything depends on what you're looking for. No, many don't have services for gifted kids and that sucks. But they're private schools and that's their decision.

I understand how frustrated you feel, because I feel the same way. But dumping on other schools because they aren't Harker or Pinewood won't help. And the workload at Harker is very, very high. Harker is also notorious for its hyper-competitive atmosphere (not as bad on the primary school campus, I think, though).

If you're really this unhappy, you should consider moving closer to Los Altos or Palo Alto or up the peninsula close to Nueva. Or enroll your child in a language immersion school. But please don't dump on other schools because they aren't catering to what you want, okay? Challenger and Stratford and Monticello and the Carden schools and etc. don't have some kind of a obligation to be exactly what you're looking for. smile

A
    ashley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A

Val Offline
    Hi Ashley, I actually thought you were painting ALL the schools around here that aren't Harker or Pinewood with with one brush. Maybe you were feeling frustrated. Like I said, I understand that feeling. But the post was quite sweepingly negative.

It's possible that you may be looking for too much in one school. Harker offers a lot, but you've said that your son's chances for admission are low. So you may need to adjust your expectations.

A
    ashley Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Again, sorry for any unintended offense. My post was a rant because I think that for the astronomical fee that these schools charge, they should be able to provide "the works" (there are families in America whose annual income pretax is less than the school fees here and there are some universities which are cheaper than these elementary schools!).
    The funny thing is, I have already decided that I will choose one of the schools named in this thread (non-Harker and non-Pinewood) for the upcoming year and spend what little free time I have driving my child to extracurricular activities, if needed.
    PS: I have already adjusted my expectations, but I might be able to become an adviser to someone with a business plan to start a "gifted school" in the bay area about what the actual market demands are (just kidding!).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Should We Advocate Further?
    by polles - 06/13/24 07:24 AM
    Justice sensitivity in school / DEI
    by Meow Mindset - 06/11/24 08:16 PM
    Orange County (California) HG school options?
    by Otters - 06/09/24 01:17 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by indigo - 06/08/24 01:02 PM