Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 433 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    W
    Would transfer right at 6 years old. Montessori is imploding in the primary and secondary areas (http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/1754438-school-woods-vs-oak-school-montessori-4.html) There is no guidance from Maria Montessori by the time you get into middle and high school. Many of these schools are translating the method for 3 year olds to 8 or 15 year olds with disastrous consequences.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by WHKilpatrick
    Would transfer right at 6 years old. Montessori is imploding in the primary and secondary areas (http://www.city-data.com/forum/houston/1754438-school-woods-vs-oak-school-montessori-4.html) There is no guidance from Maria Montessori by the time you get into middle and high school. Many of these schools are translating the method for 3 year olds to 8 or 15 year olds with disastrous consequences.

Ummmm....this is completely contrary to my experience and to the literature. My child and her friends who are gifted did not experience disastrous consequences at the Montessori school they attended through 5th grade and were well prepared to transition to various public and private schools. I would say that whatever is going on at the school in Houston certainly does not mean that Montessori is imploding.

D
    D
    OK I went back and read the discussion you linked to. It seems clear the issues referred to are a reflection of the individual school. My daughter received an excellent foundation in grammar and math and even after skipping a grade in public school has continued to thrive. I have read here that Montessori has been a poor fit for some gifted kids and think the reasons why are worth researching and understanding when making a decision. But it can be a wonderful solution for gifted kids even through elementary school.

D
    D
    DD9 has been in Montessori from the beginning and will be entering 5th grade in the Fall. We have had awesome teachers and a couple of bad ones--when they are good they are very very good, but when they've been bad they've been horrid. It has totally depended for us on the teacher rather than the school. The current teacher is great and we are just so happy with the situation. DD has been allowed to work at her own pace which generally works well except for math where the teacher doesn't feel she can really have a curriculum just for DD, but she is okay with us doing math outside as afterschooling and DD does mostly other subjects at school where she isn't so far ahead. So that's not perfect but it's our best option. This teacher and her classmates have been very patient and helpful in working with DD to develop her social skills (as she is Asperger-ish). My big concern is that this school only goes through 6th grade and the other schools around are all very different; hopefully DD will mature enough in the next year or so to be able to deal--I am optimistic. So if you are considering Montessori I would try to figure out how well the particular teacher is going to fit and sound them out about their attitudes towards kids working ahead--the great teachers have always been excited or at least curious at first about DD's abilities, and if you don't get that kind of response I would definitely have reservations and listen to your gut. Good luck!

C
    C
    Montessori is supposed to follow the child. But.....that does not mean that they will.

So, it is really hit and miss.

Our HG girl had a horrible time, and we have pulled her and are HSing her now. They just killed her love of learning, and when we tried to explain that she was gifted, and needed to be accelerated through the curriculum, we were told that "montessori does not use words like "gifted" and that "all kids are gifted".

Um, ya. See ya.

So, give it a shot. Pay VERY close attention.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs