Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 121 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    S
    S
    I've also been letting my son use Typing Instructor for Kids Platinum for the Mac. I will sit nearby and check that he's got his hands on the home row and I'll encourage him to leave a few mistakes uncorrected so he can get practice with speed and accuracy together.

Well, last night for his spelling homework, he was allowed to print or dictate sentences using each spelling word. Mr skateycat and I gave him the choice of typing his sentences. Not only did he do it, but he said that typing his homework MADE HIM HAPPY!

PS - My son is now 7. His birthday was last week.

M
    M
    Just silly, but I've been following this thread thinking my ds 6 fit in. GAI 142. He does. Now, I can stop second guessing myself especially with his school. And with school almost out and swim team started, looking forward to summer fun and some OT and VT. Mostly, fun!

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    It's been great to read all these comments. I appreciate it! I was curious to see the different levels, as I was wondering if my son may have not been gifted. In January, he sat the WISC iv and didn't get a great score. I later found out that the psych made many mistakes. My son won't get tested again (with a different test) until November. Soooo, just wanted some comparisons.

My son sees a tutor and she gave him some assessment tests. He is at least two years ahead with English, and three years ahead with maths (with extra extension in algebra). So I figure he must be a little bit clever smile

S
    S
    Welcome to the thread Melessa! Your post inspired me to sign my son up for the summer activities we talked about. 2nd year of skateboard camp. A science camp at the local university that another gifted friend from school is going to.

N
    N
    My son is 6 years 10 months, a first grader and profoundly gifted with WISC GAI of 179. We are very new to all of this. My son's school did not inform us of the test results from tests he took in September until Mid March. Since that time I had him tested privately and I am so glad I did. The full WISC and Woodcock-Johnson reports are worth their weight in gold and then some. I finally feel like I am prepared to get my son what he deserves. I had an idea he was gifted but I could never have predicted his test results. The school had him reading at a 3-4 grade level though reads at much higher levels at home and had him doing 2nd grade math instruction when he tested into 8th grade levels on the Woodcock-Johnson. My advice to anyone going through this with their child - don't wait for the schools. Be your child's advocate, get them tested. Don't speculate. No matter what the results are, once you have that full report you will have priceless information about your child that can help you parent them throughout their scholastic career.

S
    S
    Nice to meet you Navymom! The small school my son goes to doesn't have any kind of gifted program, and I chose to arrange for private testing so that I'd have a sense of what he's capable of and what to ask the school for. Fortunately, his teachers have been quite receptive. I was thrilled to pieces when the principal, his first grade teachers, his kindergarten teacher and even the second grade teacher came to a get together with the educational psychologist came to the school to go over the results and to brain storm ideas on how to meet his needs.

My son is not nearly as thrilled with the school as we are. His class is 14 girls and only 3 boys total. He plays with the older boys, but it's not the same. His best friend for now is a 5th grader who wants him to go online and play Minecraft with him. We're trying to arrange a few face to face get togethers first (to say the least)!

On another note, I'm kind of tickled that this thread has gotten as much traffic as it has.

We live in a rural area, and the local Mensa doesn't have any other kids. So it's nice to have other parents on this thread to connect with.

M
    M
    Don't think I've noticed this thread before, as I just joined in April after the wisc revealed ds6 was pg and psych suggested we connect w/DYS.

Wish we could have a meet-up and let them play. smile. We are planning for next year, which is of course necessary, but given the large jumps ds has made this year seems a bit crazy, as who knows what he'll need by fall. (Started the year at 4-5th grade reading/vocab/comprehension and has jumped about a grade each month. Definitely ahead in math, as well.) He's been very frustrated with the year, so we are hoping to be able to ensure next year will be more engaging for him. We are also in a rural area and here there is no gifted programming until jr. high. So, we are trying to forge ahead, connect with parents of gifted kids who've negotiated the system and respond to his interests.

S
    S
    Originally Posted by mama2three
    Wish we could have a meet-up and let them play. smile...

Me too!

Originally Posted by mama2three
    We are also in a rural area and here there is no gifted programming until jr. high. So, we are trying to forge ahead, connect with parents of gifted kids who've negotiated the system and respond to his interests.

In an email to Carolyn K. from Hoagie's Gifted website, I mentioned that my son's school had no gifted programming. She mentioned that that can sometimes be a good thing, because then the school has no lockstep notion of what they're willing to do for gifted kids.

A
    A
    My 6 year old (born early 07) is reading Magic Tree House and Geronimo Stilton level books by himself. He is currently doing Singapore Math 2B without breaking a sweat though on online programs like DreamBox and EPGY, he is on 4th or 5th grade level math. His FSIQ is in the mid 140s range. But, he has plenty of small motor skill issues yet (puzzling because he is good at playing the piano) and has horrible handwriting and even more horrible drawing/coloring.

M
    M
    Skateycat, just noticed the above post. The comment you shared from Carolyn seems to be our experience thus far. The school seems open to what DS needs, instead of placing on an existing path. Hope your year ends/ended well!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM