Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 226 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Thomes Eliana, Larisa, ilnurbeggins, Cruzer84, CRPG
    11,511 Registered Users
    September
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    8 9 10 11 12 13 14
    15 16 17 18 19 20 21
    22 23 24 25 26 27 28
    29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    E
    E
    Has anyone tried SpaceChem for robotics/programming concepts? I got it for DD9, and she seems to be enjoying it, although she plays it in spurts. Actually, I'm finding it pretty addictive, too.

Dude #158012 05/23/13 04:26 PM
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Originally Posted by Dude
    momtofour: Having looked at College Board's course description for AP Computer Science A, it looks as if the AoPS Java class you've described is pretty much the same thing.

I didn't realize they'd be quite so close, so I appreciate your feedback. I guess if he takes the AoPS class, we should borrow one of those AP Computer Science study guides from the library and see if he could take the test without taking AP CS at school. Definitely good food for thought, and it's nice to start thinking of these things before he has to sign up for (HS) classes next January!

B
    B
    Princeton teaches an introductory computer science course using Java with the textbook "Introduction to Programming in Java" co-authored by Professor Sedgewick http://introcs.cs.princeton.edu/java/home/ . The book has good reviews on Amazon, and the site has lecture slides, assignments, and a Java installer.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    N
    N
    I just ordered the Python book recommended above, for DS10 -- I asked the school-allergic boy what he wanted to know (avoiding the "learning" word although I told him if he didn't pick something for the summer, I would pick for him), and he said that something in Minecraft uses Python and he wants to know that. Score!

I looked at AoPS, but at $275 a pop it's just not going to happen. Even if there weren't 35+ people on the waiting lists for both summer classes.

Also trying SpaceChem as recommended above, though I'm not sure if it will be for me, DS or DD. smile

Last edited by Nautigal; 06/10/13 08:19 PM.
    C
    C
    Fwiw, I don't think much of the Sedgewick book; it has a very un-object-oriented approach which I feel gets people into unnecessarily bad habits. I still recommend it for people who need its very gentle approach, but more generally I prefer Zakhour.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    N
    N
    To clarify, as I realize "above" takes in a lot of territory smile the book I ordered was the Michael Dawson one. I shall post back when we know what we think of it.

A
    A
    Coursera "Introduction to Systematic Program Design - Part 1" looks good.
    https://class.coursera.org/programdesign-001/lecture/index

It uses http://www.programbydesign.org/ .

I feel that this is a much needed course - to complement basic memorization of a programming language rules (which is absolutely not sufficient for learning programming).

I'll look more into it, but I am posting now because the course (8 weeks) has already started (2 weeks ago).

There is an option to take this officially (with certificate upon successful completion) - $39.

ETA

The course uses Racket programming language (Lisp family) - a simple language specifically designed for learning programming.

Racket is a 'functional' language, as opposed to 'imperative' (or 'procedural') language. The most widely currently used languages (C++,...) are 'procedural'. It is good to be exposed to 'functional programming' too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Functional_programming .

Last edited by arlen1; 06/18/13 08:40 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e Dyslexia/Dysgraphia schools
    by aeh - 09/27/24 03:29 PM
    College Admissions for 2E poor grades
    by aeh - 09/24/24 07:28 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by aeh - 09/24/24 02:25 PM
    Davidson e-newsletter subscription
    by indigo - 09/23/24 10:02 AM