Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    We have been considering moving and DH called around to talk to gifted coordinators at several schools. This is what we heard from one:

"We never accept outside testing. Parents can buy what ever score they want."

T
    T
    Originally Posted by KJP
    We have been considering moving and DH called around to talk to gifted coordinators at several schools. This is what we heard from one:

Wow, if I were the testing psychologist I would sue for slander and defamation. That is truly a horrible and ridiculous attitude.

And that kind of craziness is why I've always waited to talk to teachers/administration until after the first 6 weeks of school. Get to know him a bit, then when I come in and ask "how are you going to challenge him??" you'll know exactly what I'm talking about, even though you might not have an answer for me.

~amy
    T
    Tricia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    T
    Hi all,

Thanks so much for your feedback! I posted a long reply, but apparently it must wait for approval. Sorry for the delay - it seems to take a very long time for my posts to show up.

-Tricia

K
    Kai Offline
    K
    My son's GAI places him in the HG+ range and his (invalid) FSIQ is well into the MG range. At the beginning of 4th grade, he was not identified as gifted in math by our district because of a low CogAT score. This is despite the fact that he scored at the 99th percentile on the ITBS they gave him, >99th percentile on the MAP test (he scored the same as the average 8th grader in our district), and he was working very successfully 3-4 years ahead in math at home.

I think the CogAT can be accurate, but that schools shouldn't make high stakes decisions based on CogAT scores alone.

We had a 32 point standard score difference between Cogat verbal and WISC-IV verbal. I am not a fan of Cogat. Ds scored high enough for GT but a huge underestimate of his strengths.

Originally Posted by KJP

We seemed to get this attitude. We just allowed the school to retest my dd on a different test to move beyond that attitude. 1 point for the parents- her scores came back exactly the name! I did hold my smirk inside during our meeting wink

Last edited by Jtooit; 05/09/13 11:45 AM. Reason: Added to post
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs