Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 356 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    If that is the case, shouldn't all children be treated as PG in school? Then we would have a nation of geniuses. It doesn't fare well for the contention that our children need a differentiated education if ANY child could do what our children can do only given the opportunity.

Sorry, I don't buy the notion that you can make any child into a PG child.

I don't buy it either.

Ridiculous.

Last edited by Kriston; 05/08/08 05:43 PM. Reason: By that logic, profoundly mentally disabled kids would just need more flashcards to become geniuses! Nonsense!

Kriston
    The assertion that this is the prevailing scientific thought is purely anecdotal.

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Well, he teaches gifted education at the Hunter College of education. But this is what I found:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2001/11/011105073104.htm

Which disagrees with what he said. In fact, he mentioned twins separated and having different IQ scores. But the article I posted says differently.

So I said what he told me, I questioned the findings myself and I looked it up.

Ren

Did anyone happen to see the national geographic video on Susan Polgar, the chess grand master? It showed how her brain was programmed (by her father making her read thousands of chess books) at an early age to instantly recognize patterns in chess. Then the scientists studied her brain to see if it was different from normal. After seeing the video, I agree to an extent that your brain can be programmed into being "smarter." But this poor woman appeared to have nothing else in her young life except chess. And it seems like her father was a gifted chess player too, which wasn't mentioned in the documentary. But it was very interesting. Here's a link to the video:

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2007/11/national-geographic-documentary.html

Wren,
    I'm not disregarding his or any other opinion. I'm just saying I don't think it's a representative agreement of the whole scientific community.
    Personally, I think it's a combination or nature and nurture, just like anything else.

From my reading, it is my understanding the scientific community feels it is about 50:50 nature:nurture.

I'm reading a fascinating book "Spark" by Dr. Ratey on how new neurons are formed and how exercise affects cognitive function. Very interesting! Now whether this would affect only achievement and not ability, I don't know but intriguing nonetheless.

Agreed, 'Neato. It seems patently obvious that there must be SOME nature component.

If you have no brain matter, you cannot be GT. Physically impossible. So there is some nature there. Genetic factors seem to set the ceiling for what a person can learn. I didn't research this--no coffee yet this morning!--but it seems to fit all that we know about genetics and psychology. Then, after physiology and genetics have set the ceiling, environmental stimulation allows a child to grow into that potential, or lack of environmental stimulation stifles intellectual growth. So some kids start with a higher IQ than others because of the genetic lottery, while for others, a positive learning environment allows them to achieve more than they might have done without such stimulation.

This doesn't seem to me to be at all controversial. <shrug>

Directing growth through hothousing can probably make a child a better performer in one area, but I really think that strategy works against all natural brain development. Focusing all attention on one thing all the time--like chess--is not the way the brain *wants* to develop. In my experience, kids have "ripe periods" for things like math and language, times when they're just ready to learn that subject matter. I suspect that ignoring these natural growth tendencies in order to hothouse something else might actually delay development overall, though I only have my own experiences as a parent to support that claim.

If Susan Polgar hadn't been hothoused in chess, for example, would she have been GT at something else other than chess? Or would she have been GT at chess AND other things, but all the focus on chess actually prevented her from developing other talents? (Disclaimer: I didn't watch the documentary.)

We'd need an alternate universe to try all the "what if" scenarios to know what really works best.

But if we want to develop kids into happy, productive adults who grow in ALL areas--including socially and emotionally--I think there's ample evidence that hothousing in the early years is a lousy idea. Following the child's lead is a much better way to maintain for life the child's natural love of learning.

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    If Susan Polgar hadn't been hothoused in chess, for example, would she have been GT at something else other than chess? Or would she have been GT at chess AND other things, but all the focus on chess actually prevented her from developing other talents? (Disclaimer: I didn't watch the documentary.)

I wondered this while watching the video. My thoughts were that not everyone would be able to trained this way (at least not to the same extent)- there must be some genetic component too. I think her family (her sisters are chess masters too, same training) must be GT to start out, and the training pushed them further. Just my thoughts.

I agree with following the child's lead. Much healthier, IMHO.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM