Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 391 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    U
    U
    I will add that I do not hang out with a braggy group. Some of my friends' kids are pretty athletic, I think, but in most cases I am unclear what the actual level of skill is because they aren't really talking about it. No one EVER brags to me about academics and their kid, although I think my child sort of holds the "nerd" title in my group of friends. You know, the only thing I see people crowing about is the # of 5Ks their kids run, their kids wanting to run with them, etc. Every once in a while people get excited about a book their kid is reading, I guess.

Yeah-- I would share any of those things, but I would not share any of them with EVERYONE I know.

If that makes sense. LOL. The thing with the PSAT scores probably feels more artificial/odd to parents of younger kids because it's not part of the regular parenting landscape for y'all-- yet.

But in our group of friends/acquaintances who have high school aged kids? That kind of conversation is quite normative. Where are kids are looking at college, what majors, scholarship stuff, SAT/ACT scores, etc. ALL of that is common in conversations about kids. Sports and internships, etc.

While there is truth to the notion that test scores are about aptitude, believe me, even the most capable kids want to do their best on stuff they get no second chances on. So even a kid like mine takes the time to run through a few practice tests and tweak her approach on anything that seems to be any kind of systemic problem. So there is hard work/personal effort involved. It's more than eye color... it's also about the skilful selection of clothing and accessories that makes the most of what you have.

It makes more sense when you get there. smile

What I don't do-- other than between DH and myself-- is tack on the smarmy, insufferable "and remember, she's only thirteen!! " with or without the fist pump, that's just rude. wink LOL. Besides, that part of things IS about innate development, not anything that's she has 'earned' through her own hard work or ours, YK? That one really is like eye color or physical attractiveness relative to some cultural ideal.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    A very small fraction of the population earns a living through sports or music, but for many people, the level they reach in the occupational hierarchy is limited by IQ, so of course parents are more sensitive to even indirect information about the IQ of other children.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    A very small fraction of the population earns a living through sports or music, but for many people, the level they reach in the occupational hierarchy is limited by IQ, so of course parents are more sensitive to even indirect information about the IQ of other children.

I really do not think this is true, nor do I believe most parents are sensitive to this. And, it very well could by a sport or fine art that becomes a child's passion that drives their academic success later. That is important, too. And, a child with a higher IQ could be lacking this.

I think that if one believes that the higher the IQ of a child the more successful in life they will be (i.e. their occupation,) then I bet that comes across in the way one interacts with other parents. Maybe they are sensitive to that.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    What I don't do-- other than between DH and myself-- is tack on the smarmy, insufferable "and remember, she's only thirteen!! " with or without the fist pump...

Exactly, though this is TOTALLY what DS' grandparents and extended family do when we get together as a family. A 4:1 grandparent to only grandbaby ratio makes it inevitable...

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    ... for many people, the level they reach in the occupational hierarchy is limited by IQ...

Or any of the following:

Competence
    Experience
    Phase of the economic cycle
    Contemporaneous fiscal policy
    SES
    Family environment
    Presence of mentors
    Level and field of education
    Attractiveness
    Who they know
    Like-ability
    Height
    Interest
    Enthusiasm

The list goes on...

I respectfully request that we not let this conversation devolve into a defence of the argument that life is a deterministic function of IQ, because that sort of reasoning does little justice to this forum and has limited basis in reality.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by ellemenope

I really do not think this is true, nor do I believe most parents are sensitive to this. And, it very well could by a sport or fine art that becomes a child's passion that drives their academic success later. That is important, too. And, a child with a higher IQ could be lacking this.

I think that if one believes that the higher the IQ of a child the more successful in life they will be (i.e. their occupation,) then I bet that comes across in the way one interacts with other parents. Maybe they are sensitive to that.

Yes, arrogance/superiority pretty much never comes across as "friendly and approachable." I know that I don't like it either, even if other parents believe that it destines my child for "greatness." Honestly, the few times that someone has called my DD out like that, she and I both have just cringed. I don't like the implication in terms of placing very specific (maybe unrealistic?) external expectations on her young shoulders, and she doesn't like being held up as a "golden child" to her peers.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    B
    B
    Psychological Science, a leading psychology journal, will soon publish an article finding that the highly gifted (as identified by the SET) are disproportionately likely to "rise to the top". People are sensitive about IQ because they rightly sense that it matters a lot.

http://pss.sagepub.com/content/early/2013/03/25/0956797612457784.full.pdf
    Who Rises to the Top? Early Indicators
    Harrison J. Kell, David Lubinski, and Camilla P. Benbow
    Vanderbilt University
    Abstract
    Youth identified before age 13 (N = 320) as having profound mathematical or verbal reasoning abilities (top 1 in
    10,000) were tracked for nearly three decades. Their awards and creative accomplishments by age 38, in combination
    with specific details about their occupational responsibilities, illuminate the magnitude of their contribution and
    professional stature. Many have been entrusted with obligations and resources for making critical decisions about
    individual and organizational well-being. Their leadership positions in business, health care, law, the professoriate,
    and STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) suggest that many are outstanding creators of modern
    culture, constituting a precious human-capital resource. Identifying truly profound human potential, and forecasting
    differential development within such populations, requires assessing multiple cognitive abilities and using atypical
    measurement procedures. This study illustrates how ultimate criteria may be aggregated and longitudinally sequenced
    to validate such measures.
    Keywords
    cognitive abilities, creativity, human capital, intelligence, profoundly gifted, STEM

When I'm in a social situation and a parent talks about their child's achievement, I smile and ask leading questions to keep them talking about that child. Invariably, I've found most don't ask me much because they are so busy talking up their child. When someone does ask, like others here have said, I use words like "busy", "loves to learn", "sensitive", etc. I don't give specifics. I learned not to do that when DS was three and reading random signs in the office of secretary at our insurance agent. She said, "You did that to him?!" in response to my sharing he knew all his letters and could count past 75 at two.

Since then, the only people (IRL) I've brought up my son's abilities with are his grandparents and his school, past and present, for the proper placement.

The grandparents are varying degrees of enthusiastic, and I share accordingly. The school people are on a need-to-know basis and I find they've generally been either incredulous, excited, subdued or a bit hostile. The hostility of his current teacher surprised me. Call me naive, but I really thought a teacher, of all people, wouldn't hold it against us for our son doing well.

B
    B
    I mostly talk to my few good friends who also have gifted kids. I can relate, my SIL is always posting on FB about her kids athletic achievements. But I feel uncomfortable stating my sons "gifts". Partly because I don't have anything particular to hang a hat on. DS14 doesn't participate in any academic competitions & doesn't get "perfect" grades.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by indigo - 05/01/24 05:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by indigo - 04/30/24 12:27 AM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM