Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 231 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Thanks OHG, but I think eventually is pretty close with DD. 3 going on 18.

Ren

Originally Posted by Wren
    I was at a school/family party on Saturday. Talking with mother (astrophysicist, husband/father is a PhD in physics) about son, who is 2 months older than DD. She said that she has not observed anything that would be considered gifted. She happens to know another astrophysicist that I know, whose husband is also a PhD in Physics whose DS is 2 months younger than DD. I do not consider that boy to exhibit any unusual gifted tendencies.

Admittedly, I did not read the entire thread but this first post troubles me a lot.
    Why are you making an assumption that since parents are physicists/astrophysicist/phd - their children are somehow expected to be "gifted" ?????

LOL
    I can tell you, since I wrote up hte article for the Parents' League. One year of music lessons on a string instrument raises IQ by 7-10 points. They did one study in a poor LA area and the findings were consistent. And continued music lessons continues to increase IQ levels. But it has to be string. Drums didn't work. Drama lessons increases self confidence but did nothing for IQ. The speaker was from NYU medical school specializing in gifted children.
    LOL indeed.

My DS's IQ must be WAY up there because of almost 10 years of playing a string instrument. Up by at least 70 points and maybe even a 100 ? wink Will playing two string instruments double that????

C
    C
    ...and television causes autism. It's on the internet.

Guess what's on the top at Foxnews.com? Yep, an article about how breastfeeding raises IQ's!
    Long-term breastfeeding

snip:
    Want your child to attend an Ivy League college?

Breast-feed them and they just might be able to.

A new study, published in the May issue of Archives of General Psychiatry, showed that children who experienced long-term, exclusive breast-feeding scored higher on intelligence tests than children who were given formula instead

Look, it's not a forumula(no pun intended) on how to raise the perfect & super intelligent baby, but many factors go into giving a baby the best chance you can.

And I do not to diminish anyone who really has to work. This is a tough economy.

My point is that people who CHOOSE to work--not just those who HAVE to work for economic reasons--should not be guilt-ed. Every person, every family is different. It's no one's place to judge the choices made by others (provided those choices are legal!).

Feminism to me is about trying to ensure that there are MORE choices for women and families, not fewer. Anything that seems to try to limit or judge as "bad" or "wrong" the choices of others is going to set off my anti-feminism detector, and I'm going to speak up.

And I am a SAHM, so it's not like I'm taking this personally. I just think that daycare is not by definition evil and that parents don't need to feel more guilt for doing what they think is best overall for their families. It's not unforgiveable selfishness to want to have a career and a family.

I'd love to see improvements in child care in this country so that both kids and parents are better off, but now I'm really going off-topic...

Kriston
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    About the doctorates and IQ correlation? because of Ruf. She wrote that there was a correlation.

Also, physics is applied math. You can't get a PhD in Physics without being pretty bright.

Also, there is another woman, teaches at IVY league engineering, husband also a PhD in Physics doing serious classified work. Find out her father is a serious physist. Like global recognition, but I do not see gifted in her 2 daughters. She didn't even bother to have them tested.

I know these are just anecdotal stupid posts. But I really don't feel like working today. But now I have another distraction. Must pick up DD from preschool. Everyone have a nice day. It is 80 degrees and sunny. Yeah!!

Ren

She didn't even bother to have them tested.

Why would she? That is my whole point....

C
    C
    I don't look at friends' kids or other kids and question levels of giftedness and how they got there.

And my kid-- bottled and daycared and DYS. So I don't take stock in any of those studies about IQ either.

FWIW various strategies to increase intelligence was never something I thought about. Still don't.

Originally Posted by calizephyr
    I don't look at friends' kids or other kids and question levels of giftedness and how they got there.

And my kid-- bottled and daycared and DYS. So I don't take stock in any of those studies about IQ either.

FWIW various strategies to increase intelligence was never something I thought about. Still don't.

Did you avoid drinking alcohol while pregnant, assuming you drink some at other times?

Page 4 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 13

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM