Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    G
    G
    I feel a little bad too. Here is what I imagine happened. Mom innocently and with good intentions took kid to a test prep place. Unbeknownst to mom, prepper crossed a line. Either that or the kid is freakishly PG.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Cricket2
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by Pru
    How does it work for children who prep but truly aren't that high on the IQ scale once they land a seat in these schools? I guess their parents just prep them for the school tests the same way.
    Soooo.. what happened to those kids? Within a few years of entering in K-1, most of them either left the program voluntarily because it was difficult for them, or they were asked to leave. The program doesn't test every child every year, but they reserve the right to retest (IQ and achievement) at any point in time), and basically the kids who didn't really truly meet the program's high ability bar showed up as kids not able to keep up or somewhat different than classmates in ability, and they were retested and asked to leave.
    We've kind of found the opposite where I live. So many of the kids in our GT classes and programs don't really meet the qualifications that the programs and classes themselves, for the most part, have just changed to fit better for the demographics of who is in them. For instance, for kids who didn't hit the 95th percentile in one area (ability & achievement) piece on the first go round, many were retested until they did often with prep and others were let in anyway with just achievement and some other supporting piece like behavioral characteristics of giftedness or something else subjective. The outcome is that we have no programming for gifted or certainly HG+ kids. It makes it such that even MG kids benefit from acceleration beyond GT like subject acceleration and sometimes grade skips.

I'm afraid this is the case here too...

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...