Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 150 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    jkeller, Alex Hoxdson, JPH, Alex011, Scotmicky12
    11,444 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    Z
    Z
    DS's kindergarten teacher reported his yearend reading level as T and his 1st grade teacher is reporting it at L. The 1st grade teacher is probably applying the rubric more correctly, but the kindergarten teacher's reflected a more realistic measure of his level. Because word perfect reading is a poor measure for some students as is perfect scores.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    hello everyone - and thanks again for all the insight.

i have a hilarious update! DD5 totally blew her cover today at school when she read a whack of stuff - upside down - that the teacher was organizing at her desk. best of all, DD was pretty smug about the "i didn't know you could read like that?!" exclamation that she got from the teacher - so maybe this whole thing will get better simply based on the kid outsmarting herself. wheee - i'm pretty excited.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    hee - that is amazing - thanks for the story!

although, i have to say i'm not too encouraged by the teacher's responsiveness - the school is really wrapped up in the DRA scoring, which is killing my poor kid. yet another useless reader came home after this incident - a few levels higher, but it's hardly representative of the reading we consistently see. if a kid reads teacher notes upside down, and fast enough to not be observed snooping... you'd think they might pause to re-evaluate!

ah, well, we're out of that school at the end of the year, anyway. not too many weeks left!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    H
    H
    Good luck in your public school foray! We saw improvement with our move from private but are still working out the kinks. Amazingly we have found public is more willing to consider they might not have all the answers whereas private was so sure their "system" was infallible that there was no openness to fit issues. Too inconvenient to do anything different when different was desperately needed. Advocating is a lot of work and tiring but paying exorbitant prices for stonewalling is downright infuriating. Hope you find successes in your change of environment.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    this has been our exact experience!

all i ever wanted was a partnership with the school - and i thought we had it, right up until the day we hit the first snag. i literally don't care how much extra work we have to do to supplement whatever limitations the public school may have - as long as everyone involved can admit that there isn't only One True Way to learn.

which i thought would be a given - you know, for educators? ha. silly me!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    11-year-old earns associate degree
    by indigo - 05/27/24 08:02 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by SaturnFan - 05/22/24 08:50 AM
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    Classroom support for advanced reader
    by Xtydell - 05/15/24 02:28 PM