Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 460 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    I don't believe the data for a given year is normally released until April or May. It is based on the previous 2 years. If remember correctly the data is usually released at the same time as the award ceremony criteria. The percentiles listed in your child's NUMATS toolbox are the correct percentiles for this year.

M
    M
    Just fyi, we were notified on April 10th last year - and yes, it was after the Feb test takers.
    In IL, there is a state ceremony, but unfortunately, it is sponsored by IMSA and they only invite 7th and 8th graders.
    We did not end up going to the ceremony, but my son went with his godmother (our oldest daughter graduated from college on the same day) and he seemed to like it. The ceremony itself was somewhat long and the talk was probably over his head (a reproductive gynecological oncologist of sorts, who went into great detail - which resulted in an apology from NUMATS and a very educational conversation with him afterwards,lol!!).
    Anyway, your sons scores are great and I hope he gets invited!

X
    X
    Thx, momtofour!

The presentations given by three Northwestern students before last year's award ceremony were quite inspirational. The ceremony itself was way too long and boring. I think that NUMATS better split it into two age groups.

FWIW, last year's 4th grader cutoff (85) was much higher than norm and 3rd grader cutoff (76) was much lower than norm, so statistically speaking, we should see 4th grader cutoff around 80-83 this year.

X
    X
    Erich, thanks for giving some more input. I have been telling DS that he only
    has a very small chance to make the award. Hopefully he won't be too disappointed if he can not go in the end.

K
    K
    Fingers crossed for your DS!

M
    M
    Any one got the score for exam on Feb 16?

X
    X
    Should come in the week. In our case, the mail arrived 5-6 weeks after the test. Then the scores are uploaded in the online toolbox several days later.

M
    M
    FYI - I received an e-mail from NUMATS over the weekend saying that the awards ceremony had been moved to next fall and that those taking the ACT/SAT in April or May would also be considered for the awards. (My middle schooler took the ACT; I don't know if this is also applicable to those taking the EXPLORE.) Given all the juggling we did to make one of the test dates before the end of February, I'm really irritated that they changed the eligibility window just now. Smacks of salesmanship -especially "as parents are encouraged to have their children re-test" from the fall to measure academic growth. Sigh.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by meisje
    FYI - I received an e-mail from NUMATS over the weekend saying that the awards ceremony had been moved to next fall and that those taking the ACT/SAT in April or May would also be considered for the awards. (My middle schooler took the ACT; I don't know if this is also applicable to those taking the EXPLORE.) Given all the juggling we did to make one of the test dates before the end of February, I'm really irritated that they changed the eligibility window just now. Smacks of salesmanship -especially "as parents are encouraged to have their children re-test" from the fall to measure academic growth. Sigh.

That means more students will compete for the Award Ceremony this year.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM