Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 133 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    ddregpharmask, Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Harry Kevin
    11,431 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Just wondering if anyone has any useful advice... So, DS is getting in trouble for "working ahead" in math. He gets bored waiting for others and when he works ahead sometimes he gets the problems wrong (usually because he doesn't read the directions properly) and sometimes he gets them right. Apparently, the only children permitted to work ahead are the "ones who can do so without error." DS' response to this is he "doesn't mind making mistakes because that is how he learns," but admits that many times he only makes mistakes because he didn't or couldn't read the directions properly. He also said he'd "rather work ahead and make mistakes rather than sit there bored waiting." I see the teacher's point of course and, of course, I am biased but I can't bring myself to discipline him for wanting to work, wanting to learn, not being afraid to make mistakes and learn from them, etc. Anyway, this seems to make the teacher pretty angry - today she sent home classwork he had gotten wrong (clearly b/c he didn't read the directions properly) and wrote in big letters "this is why he needs to stay with the class and not work ahead!") To be clear he didn't get the actual calculations wrong - just didn't follow the directions properly. I am at loss for what she wants me to do? Should I punish him for this? It doesn't feel right. I also think part of the problem is he comes home and does math stuff on the computer trying to learn more so this making the problem worse I guess but I don't want to discourage that either. Any suggestions that I can give the teacher? Today appparently he sat and wrote all the "times tables" he could think of that he knew to occupy himself but teacher didn't send that sheet home LOL

Last edited by marytheres; 02/27/13 11:26 AM.
    Sounds to me like he's employing an acceptable coping mechanism for boredom, while also learning a valuable lesson about following directions. Where's the problem?

I would tell the teacher that if she wants him to pay attention, she ought to offer him something to learn.

D
    D
    School problems should be solved (or given consequences) at school. I wouldn't punish him at home for this kind of low-level "infraction." If the teacher wants to fuss about this, she will, regardless of what you do.

However, the teacher sounds more than a little rigid. Do you have achievement test scores that would support acceleration of any kind? What is your school's/district's policy? My feeling is that the teacher's attitude isn't going to do your DS any good, regardless of how you choose to resolve this. One has to approach these things collaboratively, but this teacher doesn't sound too willing...

DeeDee

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Sounds to me like he's employing an acceptable coping mechanism for boredom, while also learning a valuable lesson about following directions. Where's the problem?

I would tell the teacher that if she wants him to pay attention, she ought to offer him something to learn.

Thanks. Yeah, that's what I am thinking ... I feel like what do you want me to do? I am not there in class when this is happeneing and by both accounts (DS and teacher) he has mastered the current material (and at times the 'ahead' material as well)... I know it must be frustrating for her but at the same time what does she want me to do? Start enacting consequences for doing math work and wanting to learn more and be challeneged? Seriously? DS has a solution - he thinks the class needs to be broken down into groups so that those he get the material pretty quickly don't need to wait for those that need and benefit from more time/reptition/instruction etc. I have no idea what shoudl be done but I am not 'disciplining' my kid for wanting to learn and being halfway decent at math. She's just going to have to work something else out... And I do not envy her. DS can be a bit exhausting.... I can only imagine if you have 18 of them at different levels that you have to teach!

A
    A
    I see your son's reaction as a mature response to a total lack of stimulation from the teacher. He's exhibiting, IMHO, a healthy balance between setting stretch goals for himself and avoiding perfectionism. Wonderful!

I would continue to offer as many after school opportunities as his interest and enjoyment allow while continuing to push for enrichment or acceleration. In doing so, you're giving him a satisfying opportunity to achieve near his potential! Your intuition is on point.

You might wish to share the following article with the teacher. She clearly isn't making an effort to understand your son's frustration at the stultifying pace of learning. A little perspective taking on her part could go a long way.

This might be somewhat hyperbolic, but I see holding gifted children back to average achievement levels as similar to mentally putting them in prison. It makes my blood boil when good, hard-working children like your son are discouraged from learning. A non-gifted student wouldn't be put in a class for the mentally disabled and expected to make do.

Teachers like this make me want to retrain in gifted education to shake up the system.

http://www.stephanietolan.com/is_it_a_cheetah.htm

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Val Offline
    I agree with everyone else. This is teacher's problem. If this was my child, I'd be trying to convince her to give him work that's more challenging. It's possible she thinks he doesn't understand it when in reality, he may not be paying attention.

You might want to suggest to him that he read the directions so that he can prove to her that he can do the work.

I like MoN's idea to tell her "he says that he works ahead because he has nothing else to do." Then ask her what she wants him to do and tell her to deal with it herself. It's her classroom, not yours.

Do you get annoyed with her when stuff doesn't go the way you want at your workplace? Do you expect her to solve your problems at work? Of course not.

Alternatively, if she's looking for parental involvement in how to run her classroom, perhaps she could consider giving more advanced material to your son so that he doesn't get bored. wink

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    I agree. Thanks all. And I could see the teacher's point if he hadn't mastered the current material but there seems to be no argument that he mastered the current material.

Val Offline
    I just noticed that you're in Pennsylvania. Does your son have GIEP?

S
    squishys
    Unregistered
    squishys
    Unregistered
    S
    Please don't punish your child! Especially for something as minor as this. I prefer a peaceful parenting approach- guiding, setting examples, etc. I also believe in intrinsic reward. Your son is doing nothing wrong, he is simply reacting to an unpleasant situation. And I agree with a PP, in quite a mature manner.

I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    LOL Squishy - I wouldn't actually "punish" him I *try* to be peaceful parenting, too... Thanks for weighing though - I agree w/ you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    2e & long MAP testing
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:30 PM
    psat questions and some griping :)
    by aeh - 05/16/24 04:21 PM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by mithawk - 05/13/24 06:50 PM
    For those interested in science...
    by indigo - 05/11/24 05:00 PM