Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 255 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by squishys
    Anecdotally, staceychev, I did not do so well. I was a very "bright" child and I received no help. I am from Australia, and I don't think giftedness was taken seriously in my state until this century! I think, individually, teachers could recognise something and would give me some extension work. It was until I moved to a state where they took it all seriously, the school gave me an aptitude test upon enrolling, and I was put up a year and given extension work in maths. I was happy, did very well (except for some distraction issues...) and I was dux at the end of both years I spent there.

However, I then had to move back to my original state- and was put back down a level. They said I was too young at 11 to start high school. Truly, the worst year of my school life. At the end of the year I was given an IQ test and it showed I am PG. But it was too late. My schooling suffered so badly, I never did well again, except on tests. I ended up leaving school at 15.

Not every child will do badly because of lack of support; but for me, having a combination of extreme lack of confidence, and a lazy mother, really ruined things for me. I believe that having a parent really encourage you to do homework and study and show you different ways of learning would have really helped. I am now studying a double major, and it is torturous to do: I can not get motivated, and I get so bored, despite the subjects being my favourite. I get frustrated and embarrassed because I know I am smart enough, but I just don't have the other necessary skills needed in life. I either don't end up handing in work, or I do and get High Distinctions.

The moral of this long, boring story is: you need to fight for your child's education. And if the school can't provide what he needs, then you have to.

QFT

My education was strictly by the book, including getting to read when I'd finished my work. It took me until I was in my late 20's to learn how to work hard at something and I still have bad focus or determination.

More important than anything else, a child needs to learn how to work at something, how not to give up if something's hard.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Tallulah
    QFT

My education was strictly by the book, including getting to read when I'd finished my work. It took me until I was in my late 20's to learn how to work hard at something and I still have bad focus or determination.

More important than anything else, a child needs to learn how to work at something, how not to give up if something's hard.

That's what worries me--I was that kid, too. I sailed through AP classes in high school, then almost failed out of my first year in college (squeaked by with a 2.0). I still have issues with focus and planning and not-procrastinating.

DD7's teacher has a list of things they can do if they finish early. Every day, DD7 finishes her homework/busywork in class, reads books, and makes craft projects, all because she finishes early.

Stacey. Former high school teacher, back in the corporate world, mom to 2 bright girls: DD12 & DD7.
    M
    M
    mom2one- Wow. Sounds like you are right on the money about the teacher not knowing what to do with your ds. I know my son's teacher has zero idea which seems crazy as a teacher of 20+ years.

Unfortunately. Or my expectations are too high. She sends notes 4 times a month (usually Wednesdays. I wonder what it is about that day that a note must be sent to me) about work not being done, and it is usually a picture with some parts remaining to be colored. I wish I could call her on it, but she seems to not really like my child, or want to work more with my child, so right now, I am doing nothing. She also told me that she finds it hard to assess my child. I again offered to volunteer but I was turned down.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM